Quantcast

How teams are supposed to work - Giro note

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
this is how teams are supposed to work:

5:12 p.m. - Basso has now had a flat and is chasing back up. It's bad timing for him, in that the pace has finally picked up. He's quite a way back, but working his way through the team cars in the caravan, as a few CSC jerseys are drifting back to lend a hand.

5:14 p.m. - Basso has three teammates now.

5:15 p.m. - The whole team is back to tow their leader back up.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, that totally helps. Last year in the Cascade Cycling Classic I had no teammates, I had just moved here and was riding for myself. On the long road stage I was wishing I had teammates. There was no one to drop back and get me food or water and I had to glom on to other teams on the big hilly pass.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
These are standard team tactics to support their leaders, made much easier with the advent of team radios. Back in the day, occasionally a team leader would have to bridge back on his own.

What I like is the guy without any teammates. He is forced to pace himself back via the support vehicles. And your "enemies" in the peleton will lengthen the distance between support cars to make it tough.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Teamwork has its rewards...

Big shocker that Garzelli and Cunego were no-shows today. Even bigger shock seeing DiLuca keeping up w/ the big dogs. Savoldelli's perfomance didn't shock me...he's been looking solid from the get-go. If his team can be half the team that CSC is then he's got a serious shot. It's still going to be tough to beat Basso, methinks.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I think it will tough for anyone to beat Basso. He's got a super team around him and Riis is keen on getting him the overall. Savoldeli just doesn't have the team he needs. Heck, even Johan admits it's not their best team. Bummer Danielson's already done. I was hoping to see him show well here.

I for one am quite happy to see these two in the 1 and 2 spots. Hope they finish this way too. It would be appropriate seeing that they've got the 2 best director sportif's behind them.

Cheers!
-Ian

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
goneskiian said:
I think it will tough for anyone to beat Basso. He's got a super team around him and Riis is keen on getting him the overall. Savoldeli just doesn't have the team he needs. Heck, even Johan admits it's not their best team. Bummer Danielson's already done. I was hoping to see him show well here.

I for one am quite happy to see these two in the 1 and 2 spots. Hope they finish this way too. It would be appropriate seeing that they've got the 2 best director sportif's behind them.

Cheers!
-Ian
Very true on all counts. I didn't realize that Basso's mother passed away earlier this spring as well. With that knowledge, I can only imagine that he's on more of a mission than he's ever been. It could very much be a situation where the only person that will be able to beat Basso is himself...kind of like that one guy in France.

All I know is I've been following the Giro for nearly a decade and this has been one of the best so far. I hope this carries thru all the way to Milan!