Quantcast

How to block a program

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got SBC Yahoo DSL and I downloaded their free secuity stuff for the parental controls. Anyway I did a custom install and unchecked everything I didn't need, I just kept the parental controls hoping to avoid bloating my OS too much. Every time I start up the computer a process shows up in the task manager called Ycommon.exe. It seems to be useless, maybe some spyware yahoo is pawning off on me although reports say it's a benign part of the yahoo security suite, anyway it wouldn't bother me except on startup it hogs 80-100% of my CPU for several minutes. I can go into the task manager and end the process and everything seems to work just fine including the parental controls.

So my question is...

Can I just find the ycommon.exe file and delete it? I suspect that would cause problems because it's most likely in the registry somewhere. The uninstaller only allows me to uninstall everything so that's not any help. I was thinking there was some way to set program access in windows to block a program from executing but I can't seem to find anything aside from the stuff included with windows like outlook express or MS messenger.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ycommon.exe appears to be a common part of the Yahoo browser and IM application.

Just do start/run type "msconfig" and see if it's in the startup tab to disable it. Otherwise, use your favorite startup manager (I use TuneUp Utilities) and disable it. If you lose some functionality, you can re-enable it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Ycommon.exe doesn't show up in my startup tab. So will a startup manager block it? You have a link to this tuneup utilities you refer to?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Hmm, it looks like ycommon.exe must be called by some other program. It doesn't show up in the startup routine with either msconfig or tune up utilities. Maybe I'll just have to try moving the file to a temp directory and see if it goes away, if I have problems I can always move it back right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
Hmm, it looks like ycommon.exe must be called by some other program. It doesn't show up in the startup routine with either msconfig or tune up utilities. Maybe I'll just have to try moving the file to a temp directory and see if it goes away, if I have problems I can always move it back right?
Yeppers. I usually just rename it to something like ycommon.exe.zzz. Are there any Yahoo-like programs that are called at startup? You could disable those.