Quantcast

How To Build Jumps - Any Resources For How To, or Just DO IT?

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've just moved to a new place - we have 1 acre of land, & about half is usable (for dirt jumps). I'd like to make some dirt jumps and have my sons get into jumping. Are there any good videos I can get to hopefully get them motivated? Are there any resources to help someone learn how to create jumps? Our property slopes about 20' from front to back. We can start out with hardtails, right, & then move up to the good stuff if they like it?

Thanks,

OD

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my suggestion would be to find some dirt jumps in your area and go have a look at them.

you need to decide how big you want the jumps and where to put them on your land (are there trees in the way etc...)

if you don't have alot of dirt jumping experience you'll probably want to make them small for now.

just draw out a small simple plan of how you want the jumps layed out.

grab a shovel and start diggin'

the more you do it the better you'll get.

do you want jumps that throw you strait up into the air or jumps that make you go far? these usually have different lips (the take off) one is steeper and the other not so steep.....

to make life easier get a small bobcat or backhoe.

*hardtails ARE the goodstuff

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yea, that's the cool thing about it. the better you get the bigger the jumps can be. it's dirt, just add water and re-shape if you need to.

some dirt makes better jumps than other dirt.

grab a shovel and go at it.

and take photos when your done so we can see em.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
You can also get old pallets that companies give away and put them in the middle for now for a safety net.

The way I do them is by diggin the runway before them to smooth it out, in the middle of the gaps and on the sides of the jumps. Biggest thing is, get the piles together first, let them sit and them shape them and add the dirt to the top lip.

Start small and make many lines as possible with berms and transfers for the future.

For good videos....well, most BMX videos have them, maybe one of the ECD videos since those guys know how to make some jumps. Up here in PA, they have littered the local area with some of the best jumps around. So for $19.99, pick up ECD 4 and you will see some good ideas.