Quantcast

How to change the oil in a Fox Vanilla RC shock

raelx

Chimp
Jan 30, 2005
Irwin, PA
I managed to refill the oil in my Fox Vanilla RC last week and thought I would document the process for the good of all. Really who want's to pay $50-$90USD for 2oz of oil?

Details are here sorry for the lack of pictures.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
You do know if you go to Fox's website you can download manuals for your forks and rear shocks. Also i read your write up, and i would NOT follow those directions, That shock is NITROGEN charged, you do not have the capability of recharging it. You might but not from your write up you dont. Its all cool that you did that while unsafe and not stable, but i wouldnt post links to it because it is very unsafe. Also your write up mentioned working on a fork yet then you reffered to rear shocks.

BTW if you open the compression screw you CANNOT do what you just did, which is making your broke shock worse than it was. Hate to break the news to you. But you just posted how to see what the inside of your shock looks like, NOT how to fix it.

Most seals as well and o rings can be purchased from your local bike shop if they are a fox dealer.

raelx

Chimp
Jan 30, 2005
Irwin, PA
ZachTheMech said:
You do know if you go to Fox's website you can download manuals for your forks and rear shocks.
Yeah been there great if you want to know how to adjust the compression damping. Nothing else thought.

Also i read your write up, and i would NOT follow those directions, That shock is NITROGEN charged, you do not have the capability of recharging it. You might but not from your write up you dont. Its all cool that you did that while unsafe and not stable, but i wouldnt post links to it because it is very unsafe.
Clearly you didn't read the write up or you would have read the following paragraph...

Write up said:
You don't need to worry about an explosion or anything from the nitrogen charged reservoir or ‘losing’ your charge. There is a floating piston in the reservoir that separates the gas from the oil. This will keep all the gas in unless there is a leak around that piston. Then you have bigger problems then we can deal with here.
Also your write up mentioned working on a fork yet then you reffered to rear shocks.

Again RTFM....

Write up said:
If you are don’t regularly work on your bike and wouldn’t consider working on your fork walk away now.
Just laying out the amount of wrench skills needed for this job. Most people have worked on their forks and I consider this to be the same level of work.

BTW if you open the compression screw you CANNOT do what you just did, which is making your broke shock worse than it was. Hate to break the news to you. But you just posted how to see what the inside of your shock looks like, NOT how to fix it.
Well I have a working shock I have been riding for a month now to prove you wrong. Also having worked on bikes for 7yrs I think I know what I'm doing. I'm not telling everyone to run out and do this. Just that it can be done dispite what Fox tells you. Clearly you are not of the mind set to take on this repair. Please send your shock back to Fox along with $70.

Most seals as well and o rings can be purchased from your local bike shop if they are a fox dealer.
Find me one dealer that will sell you this o-ring. Fox is the only one that will work on this shock and not void the warrenty, why do you think they would sell internal replacment parts for it?

edit: typo

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The nitrogen is contained inside a bladder in the cylinder, unscrewing the cylinder from the shock body exposes the side of the bladder that the oil touches, not the nitrogen. It is still contained in the bladder, making the aforementioned procedure completely safe. And no, fox doesn't sell any replacement parts that I know of. I've never seen a shop who's an authorized "fox repair shop" except for PUSH, who might sell you an o-ring if you ask really nicely.

raelx

Chimp
Jan 30, 2005
Irwin, PA
zane said:
I've never seen a shop who's an authorized "fox repair shop" except for PUSH, who might sell you an o-ring if you ask really nicely.
I had to buy a bag of 50 and still have 48 left (the cat has been playing with one).

So if anyone needs this 27mm ID x 2mm o-ring Contact me. and we can work out were to send a SASE and i'll give you and oring.

rhumphryes

Chimp
Jul 12, 2015
Florida
I managed to refill the oil in my Fox Vanilla RC last week and thought I would document the process for the good of all. Really who want's to pay $50-$90USD for 2oz of oil?

Details are here sorry for the lack of pictures.
Hi Raelx
Real interesting posting.
I have a FOX Vanilla RX out of my 1998 bike and the damper is real lethargic.
I think the oil needs replacing, certainly the pressure in the damper is not where it should be.
Here is a vid:

I think I need new oil but a bit nervous.
I cannot seem to find a bleed screw before I try this. Any ideas?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
rhumphryes: This thread is ten years old, and the OP didn't have a clue what he was doing.

You cannot rebuild your shock in the manner described and make it work, and your shock even less so.
Contact Fox directly and ask them if they still rebuild your model shock. Do not attempt to open it at home.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
rhumphryes: This thread is ten years old, and the OP didn't have a clue what he was doing.

You cannot rebuild your shock in the manner described and make it work, and your shock even less so.
Contact Fox directly and ask them if they still rebuild your model shock. Do not attempt to open it at home.
at this point i highly doubt that Fox still services those. I remember being at the US open back in, wanna say 2006?, and having fox service my 2000ish Vanilla RC from a Specialized S-Works DH. I remember the tech recommending that I upgrade to something newer because they were going to be phasing out service for that model.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Hi Raelx
Real interesting posting.
I have a FOX Vanilla RX out of my 1998 bike and the damper is real lethargic.
I think the oil needs replacing, certainly the pressure in the damper is not where it should be.
Here is a vid:

I think I need new oil but a bit nervous.
I cannot seem to find a bleed screw before I try this. Any ideas?
Call push industries they may be able to rebuild/upgrade cheaper than a new shock

rhumphryes

Chimp
Jul 12, 2015
Florida
Call push industries they may be able to rebuild/upgrade cheaper than a new shock
Actually when I called FOX last year they asked me to send in my Vanilla RX but when they received it they explained that they could not service it any longer. My shock was from 1998 era. FOX suggested I send the shock to RISSE RACING and they were able to service it for me. Fresh nitrogen charge and now oil and seals.