Quantcast

how to get back in the saddle?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ok guys here is my little story, september 2011 i crashed in Whistler, destroyed both my hands, been in rehab ever since.
slowly my hands are getting back their mobility, i am working on strength, endurance and flexibility.
been hitting the gym for 7 months now, lost all the weight i gained during the break and more...
so physically i will be ready.

but how to work through being scared ****less of riding a bike???

any pointers?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Just ride your bike. Start mellow, have fun. No need to charge into DH runs right away.
Fear will subside at whatever pace it sees fit, find small opportunities to push yourself, sooner or later you'll crash and realize that crash does NOT necessarily equal injury.

All those subconscious bike handling skills are rusty. When they get dialed again, your confidence may return quicker.

Get out and have fun. welcome back. :thumb:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
With all sincerity: just start riding bikes again.
Start off as if you were a beginner and work your way back through the various stages of progression.
The skills are still there, you just need to retrain your comfort zone.
You'll be back on track before you know it.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im working through this stuff myself; I had 2 offs, 2 surgeries -- came back gung ho after the first,fitter than I had been in years, agressive and almost unhindered.

Then I pushed it (overcompensated?) and shattered my collarbone - surgery #2 with 14 screws, and I havent been on bikes much since, and very much not in shape. I do plan on stepping fitness up and getting more active as it gets warmer, but the boogieman has taken residence, and I'm wary.

Its definitely a 'just do it' kind of thing, no matter what.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
just ask fabien barel and sam hill. and greg minnaar. and i'm pretty sure peaty has had a major injury or two. anyway ask them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think what you are trying to do is very hard if all you ride is DH runs. I broke my hand good last year was really surprised how long it took to get my hand strong enough to ride off road again. So, I rode my road bike for a couple of months, then used my trail bike to get my hand ready for DH again. But once you start shredding on a trail bike, your confidence will come back and hopping on your dh rig should not be a problem.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
After I separated my shoulder my first ride was Windrock. 2 runs in I was like **** it, go!

I've yet to really do much after my Whistler explosion, gym soon in preparation for riding there this summer.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Have any good pics of your injury? j/k, don't really want to see them. :thumbsdown:

like others have said, start slow, take it easy and just try to have fun on your bike having fun on your bike. a couple months ago it was eXtreme riding over braking bumps on a level fire road, now i can actually ride real trails with some confidence, it just takes time. good luck to you, healing vibes :thumb:

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I imagine what you've done is lost your balls. They'll be out there somewhere, ride some flowy trails that give a sensation of speed but aren't too rough until you find them again

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I definitely ride more within my limits since my last shoulder separation. But I'm certainly not having any less fun. In fact, I just find that my learning curve is nice and consistent. Better this than going "big", getting lucky once, thinking you can maintain that "bigness", then messing it up and being off the bike for ages.

I'm also riding my little bike way more than the big bike too.

I guess I'm just a wuss.

Join the club!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Just ride! I felt a mix of anxiety, nervousness, fear, and excitement when I came back. Which almost immediately turned into just having fun. All the anxiety and negative stuff in the back of my head disappeared almost right away. I broke my collarbone, no surgery but it was a pretty savage break IMO. I didn't ride for 3.5 months, and although much shorter and less serious than yours, I had many of the same thoughts getting back on to the bike. I only have a DH bike at the moment, so that is the only sort of riding I do. It was definitely in the back of my mind dropping in for the first time. Literally on the second run, it was like nothing happened and I was back to normal. Felt confident and most importantly, was having fun. I imagine having a trail bike to get the cob-webs off would make it a less stressful process though. Especially so when coming back from an apparent serious injury such as yours. I made a more conscious effort when I returned, to not take unnecessary risks and make the same mistake that got me injured. Which is a hard thing in itself to pin point, since I was concussed and don't remember the moments before and after impact. A few weeks after my return, I felt faster and more confident than before the injury. Still having alot of fun too, definitely makes you remember why you ride, if you happen to have forgot haha. Also, I have taken some pretty hard falls since then with no "serious" injuries, gives a little peace of mind knowing you won't blow your **** up every time you go down.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The mental aspect is a HUGE part of DH'ing! There's a few books on sport psychology that are good reads for this type of issue. Having broken bones in '11 and '12 (and multiple bones each time) and having had season ending crashes in '04 and '05, I can say I understand your concerns. It takes time to get 'back up to speed', so take it easy and focus on nothing but having fun. Keep the physio up as well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
easy trails. Don't be afraid of the boring ****. You'll get comfortable on it and tear it up, then you can move up to the tougher trails. It's a lot easier to be confident when the margin of error is a mile wide.

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
My first ride back on a big bike after a bad early season crash last year (crushed lid, wrecked leatt, badly broken ribs) was the Wyndham Gravity East race. On one hand, it was kind of stupid but on the other it forced me to just get back, let my hands off the brakes and just deal with it. I think there might be a good lesson in there. While I was far from fast in the race, it made getting back that much easier.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
baby steps , id start with getting your basic skills back like balance and slow turns and get comfortable from there , i,m not coming back from a injury just a 10yr+ lay-off from riding and truthfully i,m scared ****less alot of the time as i,m riding by the seat of my pants and holding on a hoping the bike handles my mistakes . so far it has LOL i have had some crashes nothing at DH speed but none the less head 1st into a tree and knocking my self silly has not helped either , getting thrown over the bars several times as well hasn,t helped but i still push forward and slowly get comfortable . my next big challenge is nutting up for doing gap jumps that seem to be the rage on trails now .

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just get out there again and enjoy being on two wheels. The rest will come back pretty quick, to whatever level you want.

Right now your mind and body are tricking you into feeling less confident. When you ride a lot you get used to the sensations, allowing you to relax and trust your skills and instincts. After a long time out of the saddle that starts to drop off. It's like chops for a musician, muscle memory and stuff. If you're like me, once you get out there again you will feel right at home and have new appreciation for the most fundamental parts of riding, stuff you may have taken for granted before.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Have any good pics of your injury? j/k, don't really want to see them. :thumbsdown:
only one picture of my right hand online
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312040_271844802838986_2011613228_n.jpg

Serious question: Have you ridden a bike before starting this thread?

You've been doing this long enough. Just get out in the woods. You broke your hands, you didn't get brain damage.
i did. but even just riding along feels like the scariest thing ever...

The mental aspect is a HUGE part of DH'ing! There's a few books on sport psychology that are good reads for this type of issue. Having broken bones in '11 and '12 (and multiple bones each time) and having had season ending crashes in '04 and '05, I can say I understand your concerns. It takes time to get 'back up to speed', so take it easy and focus on nothing but having fun. Keep the physio up as well.
thanks maybe i will have a look into this.

i love riding bikes, it just does not feell ike fun anymore at the moment, ok there's the fact it's still winter here and some snow but that used to be a non issue :/

thanks for all the kind replies

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Any time I am coming back from injury, or rusty, or just riding like crap, I try to get into a good flow with the bike. I don't worry about trying to go fast or push anything. It eases my mind and is actually a fairly fun way to ride.

More specific to a hand injury, take it easy with the trails you select. It will fvck with your head if you are riding something that causes pain or makes you feel overtaxed for your level of recovery. I did this wrong with my broken hand and it set me back for months. It also wasn't fun.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
More specific to a hand injury, take it easy with the trails you select. It will fvck with your head if you are riding something that causes pain or makes you feel overtaxed for your level of recovery. I did this wrong with my broken hand and it set me back for months. It also wasn't fun.
True dat^^^

I'd really pay attention to big soft tires and really compliant suspension for a while.