Quantcast

how to lighten a tank?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i have a road bike that is pretty old but still in okay condition. that frame is good, but that wheels and brakes suck. so my question is what is a good cheap LIGHT wheelset? and some good brakes too.

aand is it possible to convert a 5 speed rear to say a 8 or nine speed?

thanks

C-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
They're not cheap and I'm not that knowledgeable, but just FYI... I really like my Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. They're about $200 for the set. You can get 'em from Performance and if you get 'em online you can use their 20% off coupon...
Performance Bike Coupon # 6000386 or 6000387
20% off orders of $50 or more
Expires 7/31

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
The older bikes have a smaller spacing in the rear. According to Sheldon Brown 5 speed rears have a 120mm rear spacing. New 8/9 rear spacing is 130mm. I wouldn't waste the time or the money on trying to upgrade the 10 speed.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Carbon Fetish said:
The older bikes have a smaller spacing in the rear. According to Sheldon Brown 5 speed rears have a 120mm rear spacing. New 8/9 rear spacing is 130mm. I wouldn't waste the time or the money on trying to upgrade the 10 speed.
i dont have 2 k to drop on one like you guys

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
chicodude01 said:
is it possible to strech it though?

what if the wheel set is narrower?
Only if it is steel. You should have it done by a frame builder so the drop outs are evenly placed 10mm part so your chain line stays straight.

8/9 speed hubs are only 130mm spacing so you can't run a narrower wheelset.

Do you have a complete 8 speed groupo?

chicodude01 said:
i dont have 2 k to drop on one like you guys
I am telling you this because I've tried to do this in high school. It didn't work out and I ended up wasting time and money. Trust me, it's a lot more trouble than what it is worth.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
oh, its steel. i want a newer bike, but i cant drop 1k on it, and i figured i could make this one decent with some new wheels and brakes

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
This is my last post on this topic. As a team mechanic and a former bike shop mechanic, I am tell you it is not worth trying to upgrade this bike. I know too many people who try to cut corners and then have to come crying back to me because they didn't want to spend $25 and now they have to spend $80 to fix the problem.

Here is why I say no...

Your wheels maybe either 700c or 27" that makes a difference in brake placement and tire choices. You CANNOT slap a 8 speed wheel and run it on your existing driveterrian. First, your dropouts aren't wide enough, your rear derailleur and shifters (if set to friction shifting) will not have enough cable pull to reach the higher gears, and your chain will be too thick to run on the cassette.

I say leave the bike how it is. Maybe get new brake pads, tires, tubes, cables and housing but do not got beyond that.

Just my 2 cents.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The answer is NO. There really is no way to improve an old 10 speed for less than it would cost you to just buy a decent used bike. If you are lucky you can find some serviceable used parts on eBay, that said - a nice set of circa 1984 Araya rims matched to superbe hubs will still set you back $80.00 to $90.00 and you are still going to be running a freewheel.

Fix what you have and save your money until you can afford something better. :nopity:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
chicodude01 said:
my tire size is 27"
OK that should impact your decision - most, if not all quality bikes of any age are set up for 700mm, you will have a hard time finding any new rim / built wheel for any price. Most 27" rims were steel and made during what was called the bicyle boom of the late 1970s. When you mentioned 10 speed I suspected a low end bike - I have been riding road bikes since the mid 1970s and have never had less than a 6 speed freewheel. A "10" speed bike was the entry level offering of its day - tanks from day one and not worth upgrading.

Another clue will be overall weight (including the pedals) - any road bike that weighs more than 24 or 25 LBS probably has a very low end frame. For comparison - I have a 55cm 1984 Univega Competition that is outfitted with Suntour Superbe Pro and Araya rims. When new it cost $780.00 and was considered and entry level race bike. It weighs 21 LBS. The frame is made of Tange Tripple Butted Chromolly steel. The frame was made in Japan by Miyata and has stood the test of time extremely well but - I would never consider upgrading the drivetrain or wheels. While the frame is solid and better than most frames being built today, it is on the fringe of the classic lightweights and not worth more the $250.00 on a good day. I keep it running by replacing the parts NOS when possible, thankfully Superbe Pro was good stuff that wears well.

So... unless your grouppo is pantogrammed Shimano 600, I say work with what you have until you can afford better. If your grouppo is Shimano 600 then it might be worth rebuilding your existing wheels with new rims.