Quantcast

how to lose body fat

stephe

Chimp
Feb 13, 2002
FOXBORO
WHat is the best way to lose body fat with out starving myself.

I work out and have good muscule mass but just want to lose the body fat off my abs.

Thanks for the help

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
To focus on burning fat you will need to check your heart rate (easiest to buy a heart rate monitor) during cardio exercise. You want to remain in your Target Heart Rate training zone for optimal fat loss.

The Karvonen formula is the best way to do this. If you want me to outline it I will be happy to. Just let me know.

You will also need to modify your diet but make sure NOT to starve yourself. You need calories for energy so if you starve yourself there is going to be NO good outcome. Even if you lose the fat you will eventually gain it back and in the process slow down your metabolism.

I recommend 5-6 small meals a day all consisting of carbs/protein and fat. Also, a combination of resistance training/cardio/proper nutrition and supplementation (at least a good multivitamin daily) are essential to meeting your goals.

Thats just my .02 :) Hope it helps.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Build muscle. It is the easiest way for you to put your body to work. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will naturally burn.

Also if you find cardio sucks (I hate traditional cardio with just about all my being) You can power interval which does a very similar amount of work for buring bodyfat. Take 45 minutes and split your workout into 2 to 5 minutes intervals. Bust ass for a few minutes and then coast for a few minutes. Keep moving your HR up and down the scale peaking it halfway into the workout and the bringing it down. This at least keeps cardio interesting and difficult.

Change your eating lifestyle. Personally eating has less to do with bodyfat then body composition (bodyfat to muscle ratio). If you have lots of muscle and are exercising you can eat like 'normal' people instead of having to 'diet'. Eating clean is the way I refer to it but I still spoil myself periodically.

I would also like to say there is a limit to how 'lean' someone can get. This is applied directly from genetics. Some people will never show abs. Personally it is a right off for me. This said I guess I am just making sure you can set 'realistic' goals. If you are trying for too much you may just hit the disapointment wall :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by JOJO
To focus on burning fat you will need to check your heart rate (easiest to buy a heart rate monitor) during cardio exercise. You want to remain in your Target Heart Rate training zone for optimal fat loss.

The Karvonen formula is the best way to do this. If you want me to outline it I will be happy to. Just let me know.
I am not familiar with this. (I may be but don't place a name to it). Could you pm me a review of what it is?

Thanx.

From some website:

You can calculate your own training heart rate using the Karvonen Formula, but first you'll have to determine your Resting Heart Rate, Maximum Heart Rate and Heart Rate Reserve:

1. Resting Heart Rate (RHR) = your pulse at rest (the best time to get a true resting heart rate is first thing in the morning before you get out of bed).

2. Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) = 220- your age

3. Heart Rate Reserve (HRR)= Maximum Heart Rate - Resting Heart Rate

Once you have your Heart Rate Reserve, you can calculate your training heart rate:

4. (Heart Rate Reserve*.85) + Resting Heart Rate = Upper end of the training zone

5. (Heart Rate Reserve *.50) + Resting Heart Rate = Lower end of the training zone

Example: To calculate the training heart rate of a 35 year old person with a resting heart rate of 70:

Maximum Heart Rate: 220-35=185 bpm (beats per minute)
Heart Rate Reserve= 185-70=115 bpm
High End of the Training Heart Rate: (115*.85) + 70 = 167 bpm
Low End of the Training Heart Rate: (115*.50) + 70 = 127 bpm

When this person exercises, they should try to reach their training heart rate zone (127-167 bpm) and maintain it for the duration of their aerobic activity. Halfway through their aerobic activity, they should take a 6 second pulse check and add a 0 to get the one minute figure (you could also do a 10 second count and multiply by 6 or a 15 second count and multiply by 4).

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
From some website:

You can calculate your own training heart rate using the Karvonen Formula, but first you'll have to determine your Resting Heart Rate, Maximum Heart Rate and Heart Rate Reserve:

1. Resting Heart Rate (RHR) = your pulse at rest (the best time to get a true resting heart rate is first thing in the morning before you get out of bed).

Once you have your Heart Rate Reserve, you can calculate your training heart rate:

4. (Heart Rate Reserve*.85) + Resting Heart Rate = Upper end of the training zone

5. (Heart Rate Reserve *.50) + Resting Heart Rate = Lower end of the training zone

Example: To calculate the training heart rate of a 35 year old person with a resting heart rate of 70:

When this person exercises, they should try to reach their training heart rate zone (127-167 bpm) and maintain it for the duration of their aerobic activity. Halfway through their aerobic activity, they should take a 6 second pulse check and add a 0 to get the one minute figure (you could also do a 10 second count and multiply by 6 or a 15 second count and multiply by 4).
This is only a starting point for your MHR...for instance...

my friend Jeff has a MHR of 215, he's 28

my friend Ron can hold 190 on a loooooong climb, he's 39

I personally have hit 205, I'm 28

Best way to figure out your zones are to go out with a heart rate monitor, warm up, sprint as hard as you can till you just pedal can't anymore....that's your MHR.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Try to stop your intake of carbos and fats at dinnertime. Load up on them in the morning, and as the day goes on, gradually eat less of them, and replace with lean protein meals. The best way to accomplish this is to eat about 5 smallish meals a day. Good lean protein meals include skinless chicken breast, whey protein powder (I live off this stuff), tuna, egg whites and every few days a really lean cut of steak. Complement these with some non starchy veggies.

Don't eat white bread. Eat a good whole grain bread, preferrably high in protein.

Stay away from saturated fats, processed foods, all that crap!

Keep junk food down to a minimum. Try to substitue it with some veggies like tomatoes or celery. Celery and peanut butter is a favorite snack of mine. Stay the hell away from Jif! Get good peanut butter, the ONLY ingredients in it should be peanuts and salt.

Get plenty of fiber. Go nuts with the ruffage (salads!)

I actually find that I eat more when I eat healthy, mostly through veggies, but I feel a hell of a lot better, and I look a hell of a lot better too.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!! Most say at least 8 glasses of water a day. I drink FAR more than that. I carry around a Nalgene bottle at school, drain it during class, fill it back up during passing time.

Now for the stuff everybody will hate me for:

Thermogenics: I use them. Specifically Hydroxycut. The real active ingredients in them are Caffine and Ephedrine. 200mg Caffine, 20mg Ephedrine. What this does is boost the hell out of your metabolism. The feeling that you get with them is akin of drinking several cups of coffee, albeit without the urge to pee. Prepare to be highly caffinated all day. If you try them, goddamnit, DO NOT use more then reccomended! When taken in the amounts that are reccomended, even the doctors that are anti-Ephedrine say that they are safe. Don't take them within about 5-6 hours of when you want to go to bed, otherwise you will not be able to. I like to take a couple just when I wake up in the morning (6 AM) and go for a run. This really helps.

Cutting gel: This stuff you buy from a GNC or similar, and slap on a specific area of unwanted fat on it. It breaks fat off the area, and puts it into your bloodstream, for your body to then burn. This needs to be used in conjunction with cardio, specifically before excercise. Don't go slathering this stuff all over your body, that'll only screw your body up. Only use this once you've already cut yourself down CONSIDERABLY. I'm talking 12% or less BF. Only use this on problem areas (e.g. abs) when you are nearly there.

Creatine : If you want muscle, baby, you've got it. This combined with a solid weight training routine, as well as plenty of protein, will give you mega gains in your muscle mass. Note, after creatine, you will be bigger, and you will need more water. Anybody who thinks creatine is bad can talk to

On to ab excercises!

Well, yeah, you want a six pack, who doesn't? Well, chances are, you're doing your ab excercises wrong.

For crunches and situps. Make sure you curl! DON'T PIVOT!!! Concentrate on curling your upper body towards your pelvis. Don't just try to lift your body off the ground. CURL DAMMIT, CURL!

See if you can get your girlfriend (or boyfriend, it doesn't matter) to slap your abs while you are doing your situps. This will force your abs to tighten up, giving a better workout.

Reps arn't as important as form dammit! Try to make each situp last 10 seconds, 5 up, 5 down, concentrating on curling your body, and tightening your abs.

Switch it up! Do different excercises too, like leg lifts, kick downs, bicycles! Make sure you get your obliques DAMMIT!!!

Word, I'm going to go do one handed pushups now!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think it was Opus from Bloom County that said it best.. or maybe it was said to Opus... why don't you exercise more and eat less. Fad diets are fad diets. The more I read about grapefruit diets zone diets, cabbage soup diets, the more I realize the best bet is a balanced diet. Ride more. Ride harder. A long slow ride will burn calories but a short intense ride will elevate your metabolic rate for a longer time and depending how hard one goes might burn more calories in total. As we age, our metabolism slows making it more difficult to keep the pounds off. Get used to it. It is much better to be fit and happy and a little heavy than skinny miserable and unfit. I believe in the set point theory. That is our bodies "want" to be a certain weight. If we get a little heavy, we'll loose a little apetite and get the urge to exercise. get skinny and our apetite goes up and we are less motivated to ride. I'm sure its more complex than that but I think there is something to it.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
i agree,and i would like to add thati think we still dont understand so much.science has come along way in physiology,as has sports science,but in reality no-one has really laid down the definitive chapter.alot of people (myself included)want to know and control every detail;how much how hard and so on,the prblem is alot of things can be right.example,lothar leder, german triathlete who is an amazing competitor eats junk food and would never touch a powerbar.and then there is lance armstrong,who weighs every piece of food to make sure it does not exceed his expenditure.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Thank you thank you. This is the first time I have been able to get back to this thread ....... oooops. Mtn Biker Chk saved me once again:-) Good work!!!

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
From some website: