Quantcast

How to react to jerk-off drivers?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago when I was still on the rag I would pound fenders with my fist on cars would cut me of on left hand turns, it pissed me off that they couldn't wait 10 seconds for me to pass.

Another time in heavy traffic I confronted a driver behind me who had honked more than once - at a red light I turned around and verbally abused him in the most foul language a midget can muster. When he responded in an equally foul manner I invited him to step out of his car. I was already pumped from dogging traffic and my anger was very evident. Anyhow nothing came of it - the guy just sat there. Don't ef with the spandex! :mumble:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
HarryCallahan said:
Toninator that sucks about your friend. In California that driver would also be looking at carges, either for hit and run or leaving the scene
Woohoo just got the news from Not Dead Jeff:

"The prosecutors office dropped the charge of Failure to Stop and Give Information and charged McNeely with Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. He was arrested and taken out of the courtroom in handcuffs."

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
Woohoo just got the news from Not Dead Jeff:

"The prosecutors office dropped the charge of Failure to Stop and Give Information and charged McNeely with Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. He was arrested and taken out of the courtroom in handcuffs."
Bad ass. Thanks for sharing that, Tony.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The best way to deal with aggro motorists is to smile and wave. They find it completely disarming and they feel stupid for acting like douchebags.

I have had to put my bike between me and some particularly nasty people down south...

I was on a little road ride with my parents, who are both in their late 50's-60's and are competive racers, and an ancient old man pulls up behind us and lays on his horn. After waving him around he still doesn't move. His equally ancient wife opened her door and the old man pulled up behind my Mom and intentionally doored her at ~25 mph.

I went absolutely ape****. As the old fart accelerated away from us I sprinted up ahead of him, and began swerving in front of him to get him to stop. He rolled down his window and began mumbiling incoherent dribble. I hit the brakes, dropped behind him, and then sprinted back up to the drivers side of his car with the window still down. I just firmly planted my hand on the doorframe and told him to stop the car IMMEDIATELY. He called me a F*G and a few other choice insults, and began to accelerate to try to get my to let go of his car. I found this infuriating. At this time we were about 300 meters from where he had hit my mom, and my dad was back with her. Someone had already called the cops, and my dad had the plate I'm sure, but I wasn't about to let the dude get away. I switched up hands on the doorframe so I held on with my left, and punched him in the neck with great vigor with my right. I was so pissed I was afraid I was going to go absolutely ape and kill him, so I let go and sprinted up ahead again. When I looked back the dude had actually stopped. With me in front of him I guess he realized there was no escape.

I sat screaming at him not to get out of the car, as by this time my Dad had caught up, and he was about ready to finish this f*cker off.

5 minutes later the cops showed up, and nearly hauled my dad off he was so ripsh*t. Eventually the old f*ucks got a ticket for reckless endagerment, and I got a VERY stern warning from the arresting officer. On twisty residential roads a fit road cyclist can make mincemeat of a car, and when you throw the self-preservation instict to the wind you can really teach the inconsiderate eldely a lesson.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
nice tale!
be careful out there everyone.
road riding is more dangerous than full force Down Hill runs.
If the trees attacked swiftly without hesitation and the woods were full of Charlie Manson followers....well then I would think roadriding might be safer than DH.

I had a nice little altercation last fall when training for my 1st century. This woman decided to accelerate and go around me to make a right at the next intersection. At the last moment, she decided not to turn and completely stops halfway inbetween the right lane and the bike lane. (Mind you this was all happening MAYBE 20 yards before the corner with a green light.) Well, there's no way I'm going to the inside of her and get pinned in the gutter so I swerve left and end up on the trunk lid of her car trying not to eat sh*t. The woman freaks out hearing me hit the trunk and guns it taking away any support I had. Boom down I go in the middle of the lane. Next thing I know, I hear the car behind us skidding. I'm laying there still clipped in cringing thinking I'm going to die. Car litterally stopped 5 - 6' away. Yikes!

At this point the adreinaline is flowing and I'm pissed! I started spewing profanities like a drunken sailor at this woman. As the filth continued from my mouth, she began to realize what just about happened and I could see the panic, fear and general "Oh sh*t!" look on her face. It was the weirdest thing, the rage switch flipped off and I went into to teacher mode. I calmy walked over to her car, asked her what she thought she was going to gain by beating me to the intersection and then proceeded to eductate her in a very polite way that bicyclist have road rights as well. I let her know that in the future she needed to treat a bicyclist like anyother car - maintain distance blah blah blah. She appologized profusely over and over to which I simply said "thanks, but please, be more mindful next time. I'd hate to see someone die."

Ahh...the art of the counter punch.

R

richcreek

SuspectDevice said:
The best way to deal with aggro motorists is to smile and wave. They find it completely disarming and they feel stupid for acting like douchebags.

I have had to put my bike between me and some particularly nasty people down south...

I was on a little road ride with my parents, who are both in their late 50's-60's and are competive racers, and an ancient old man pulls up behind us and lays on his horn. After waving him around he still doesn't move. His equally ancient wife opened her door and the old man pulled up behind my Mom and intentionally doored her at ~25 mph.

I went absolutely ape****. As the old fart accelerated away from us I sprinted up ahead of him, and began swerving in front of him to get him to stop. He rolled down his window and began mumbiling incoherent dribble. I hit the brakes, dropped behind him, and then sprinted back up to the drivers side of his car with the window still down. I just firmly planted my hand on the doorframe and told him to stop the car IMMEDIATELY. He called me a F*G and a few other choice insults, and began to accelerate to try to get my to let go of his car. I found this infuriating. At this time we were about 300 meters from where he had hit my mom, and my dad was back with her. Someone had already called the cops, and my dad had the plate I'm sure, but I wasn't about to let the dude get away. I switched up hands on the doorframe so I held on with my left, and punched him in the neck with great vigor with my right. I was so pissed I was afraid I was going to go absolutely ape and kill him, so I let go and sprinted up ahead again. When I looked back the dude had actually stopped. With me in front of him I guess he realized there was no escape.

I sat screaming at him not to get out of the car, as by this time my Dad had caught up, and he was about ready to finish this f*cker off.

5 minutes later the cops showed up, and nearly hauled my dad off he was so ripsh*t. Eventually the old f*ucks got a ticket for reckless endagerment, and I got a VERY stern warning from the arresting officer. On twisty residential roads a fit road cyclist can make mincemeat of a car, and when you throw the self-preservation instict to the wind you can really teach the inconsiderate eldely a lesson.
Yeah i had some ass pull out in frount of me then slam on the brakes and TRY to make me slam into the trunk. i didnt though i slammed on the brakes and stoped maby 6-12 inches from the trunk. he floored it and took off then the light turned red and he had to stop it being a large intersection and i pulled up becide him and he rolled down the windo ans started to cuss me and i turned around with the alluminum frame pump ad beat the sh*t out of his face until he managed to open the dor and knock me down and tried to hit me but i got up fast enought and hit him in the face 3 times then kicked him in the nuts. then i took out the rear windsheild with the pump. he started chasing me in the car and managed to catch me and clip my rear well and i went over at like 20mph. i managed to get up and jump a fence into a persons yard with my bike. after that i sprinted ALL the way home, he never cought up thought. i am hoping someone called the cops on him, i know i did.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
:stupid:

I understand SuspectDevice's story.
If someone f'd with my mom, I really doubt I would be able to control myself.

Mess with me all you want, it takes a lot to get me going.
Look at my mom the wrong way, and I'll be in your face (almost as fast as she would be if someone did something to me).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Biscuit said:
:stupid:

I understand SuspectDevice's story.
If someone f'd with my mom, I really doubt I would be able to control myself.

Mess with me all you want, it takes a lot to get me going.
Look at my mom the wrong way, and I'll be in your face (almost as fast as she would be if someone did something to me).
If something like that were done to my mom or girlfriend or anyone like that, I'd lose my freaking mind. That's seriously messed up.

Luckily, I haven't had too much rage directed at me. The occassional horn or close pass or words out the window, but nothing too bad. Once I was doing a group charity ride and some old man passed us, honked his horn and (I could see this through the back window) actually shook his fist totally old-man-style in anger. I burst out laughing at this clown. Un-believable.