Quantcast

How to repair a hole in a bicycle tire?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

My younger brother ended up getting a puncture hole in the middle of the tread where it looked like a small twig or something went into the tire. Of course he pulled it out and things went flat. These tires are 95% new so he's bummed and I figured I'd see how I could help him repair it if possible. He's talked to me and said that the hole is maybe the size of a pencil tip. I figured since it was in the middle of the tread and not the sidewall that maybe it's still salvageable.

Any ideas/hints/tips/tricks to patching a very tiny hole in the middle of the tread? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
shoe goo + duct tape + 12 hours = fixed for life.

You might not even need the tape. Squirt it from the inside and push it all the way through the hole. make sure you smooth it out on the inside, but leave enough to make a patch about the size of a quarter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If it's a tubeless tire, just put a normal patch on the inside.

If it's a normal tire, you could put a patch on the inside but it's probably not necessary.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I also have had good luck patching the inside like you would a tube. I also super-glue down any frayed bits on the outside of the sidewall. Helps keep the patch from getting abraded.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It is not a tubeless tire......just a regular but tonight I am gonna see how big the hole is....and go from there.

I thought maybe just a regular patch to cover the hole (I doubt that anything will go through the same spot).

I'm guessing shoe goo is like super rubber cement? I've seen it in stores but never bought any. I do have rubber cement and such (well a tube of stuff that came with patches but bought a bigger tube at the auto store). I imagine it can't be that difficult.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I used a needle and thread to repair a torn sidewall once. It was a normal needle, but I can't remember what I used for thread, either floss or a nylon type of material. It's still in a box back at home, so I can check later tonight. As for the actual repair, it was easy, just like actual stiches you get at the hospital. Inside the tire, duct tape was all that was needed. The repair worked perfectly, and lasted the life of the tire.