Front rim - Mavic XM719
Rear rim - Mavic XM719
Spokes front - DT Swiss
Spokes rear - Sapim
Nipples front - DT Swiss red alloy
Nipples rear - Sapim brass
Tyres - Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26x2.1
Tubes - Schwalbe XX-Light 14a

The weight is a bit under 10,5kg / 23 lbs. I want to save some weight to get under 10 kg again...I know there a lot lighter parts, but it should be as beautiful as it can be. Frame, fork (brand new because I broke my Revelation), hubs (front hub is the lightest, rear hub is real light and so ****in stiff) and cranks (lightest 2-piece crank actually)I do not like to change. My only thought at the moment is to exchange the uppers to the Revelation ones and remove the Air U-Turn System to a Dual Air. This maybe saves 200-300g...maybe you have some good ideas?

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
That is borderline ridiculous. I have never heard of a big bike weighing that little. I don't know if I should congratulate or say be careful?

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
cut your bars, ti axles, speed holes in the frame, shorten the drop outs, no grips, no seat and seat post

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
shave off the brake mounts on your lowers, shave off every mount you aren't using, replace the rest of the bolts with ti, machine some speed holes in your front hub, get maxle lite when it comes out, and make some inbred rockshox concoction...no clue what.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
1. get 140mm rotor
2. cut a little of the brake cable
3. drill some holes in your post
4. Get the Maxxis 310s only 310grams a pop, thin side walls but a buddy of mine has been riding them for a year no problem with sliders and everything
5. cut off some of the quick release lever

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Nice bike. Why exactly are you complaining about 23 pounds? My 20 weighs more than that!

pain said:
cut your bars, ti axles, speed holes in the frame, shorten the drop outs, no grips, no seat and seat post
I like to ride wide bars, never 'll cut them ;). Where to get ti-axles for this pedals? (I have some NC-17 Magnesium too, they are 15g lighter ;) ). I already had a frame with "speed holes" - this saved only 17g and it's more unstable! Dropouts are short...without grips, seat and seatpost I cannot ride :D - no jokes please!

pain said:
Where did your revelation break? I'm curious about the longevity of mine.
It broke at the bridge after 2 years...still think it's a nice fork - but not for my anymore:

Savage_Animal said:
1. get 140mm rotor
2. cut a little of the brake cable
3. drill some holes in your post
4. Get the Maxxis 310s only 310grams a pop, thin side walls but a buddy of mine has been riding them for a year no problem with sliders and everything
5. cut off some of the quick release lever
1. I ride in bikeparks, this maybe too small
2. it's maximum cutted
3. cutted to 58mm with a lot of holes ;)
4. I ride Maxxis Flyweight 330, they are okay for dirt, but for street/park they were not strong enough - are the 310s better?
5. I'll change to a Marzocchi 20mm axle (just wait for the adapter, saves 50g)

DCRAC3R said:
thompson stem
Control tech scandium bars
ti spokes?
I heard that scandium is not as strong as they tell everyone...where to get ti-spokes?

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Jeez 23 lb Mob? Why would you ever want to go lighter? Mine is at 28 lbs and I think that is perfect. Just ride it as is...

But if you want to go lighter go with a pivotal post and seat set-up. It is lighter than the set-up you have. Then add a Thomson stem.

If that is not enough then I don't know what is...

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
mr. ride lite doesn't know where to get ti spokes. the horror...:biggrin:

i hope you're kidding about ti axles in pc pedals. only reasonable thing to loose is the fork disc mount.

mr.c

Chimp
Jul 16, 2008
el doraod hills, ca
you're being rediculous, your bike weighs 23lbs... dude are you like a lil kid or do you weigh like 100lbs? to want any lighter i would be scared to break the bike. and honestly the only thing you could really do is the ti spokes and get rid of your seat and seat post, no jokes, otherwise sshhhhh!!!

go workout, eat something put some meat on them bones boy

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Hey man, Nice looking bike! You've prob been asked this quite a bit but if you don't mind sharing again, how do you lower an air U-turn pike?

thanks

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
140mm rotor is plenty, I run one and it kills.

And if you're riding that in a bike park it shouldn't be that light, because I'd be worried about something snapping.

Besides that, Ti spokes I guess, even though I beleive they run nearly 4 dollars a spoke. Not sure, I've never runned them, I just heard that.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
If you pump up the maxxlight 310s to 80 or so psi they should be great, i was tlking to someone on another forum and hes run them too
I actualy just got mine in the mail todaya nd they are amazing, way lighter then sb8s too

And ya 140 is plenty, a lot of people I have talked to say they can hardly notice a difference in stopping power between 140 and 160 and youll save a few grams

also shave off those brake mounts on the fork, that would be sick

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
did you take the middle part of the pedal out lol? hahhahah thats funny if you did it for weight, but it actually looks kinda better...
No just painted it black:

I just ordered a titanium axle for my mg-1 pedals...should be under 300g and maybe save 100g, let's have look.

Edit: okay here's my plan so far

Titanium Axle for MG-1, remove reflector mounts - saves ±100g
Change Maxle to Marzocchi 20mm Axle, just waiting for my adapter - saves ±50g
Get a new Racing Ralph Tire, cause on the rear is the old version (469g, new is much lighter)- saves ±50g
Change Uppers to Revelation and remove U-Turn unit, put in a Dual Air System - saves ±200-300g

So maybe I am getting under 10kg, would be nice...if not I'll the MaxxLite 310 tires...

What do you think?

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006

All weight-dropping ball-busting aside - that is one awsome looking bike. Not as nice as my Mob, but awesome nontheless :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ok really - I think the build looks amazing. I really can't imagine riding a 23lb Mob. I think mine at 28lb even is super light. And I have really top shelf parts (like you) that are going to last. I would not want it any lighter. But I am also 180lbs. You may be a lot lighter and can ride a different rider to bike weight ratio.

3 more suggestions:

1. How light are the cranks? Do they have a Ti spindle? (I assume so).
2. I still say pivotal set-up. Since you run slammed, chop the post.
3. Aluminum nipples.

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Man, I just am confused why you would want a lighter bike that is more fragile. I mean, if you got the cash and want a sweet wallflower (or factory flower, from the looks of it, and don't get me wrong, its a cool setting), awesome, but if you really ride hard (which maybe you do) having somethings with a little extra weight so they don't break never hurt anyone. I have seen trends go from normal, to crazy over built, to crazy light, and I imagine in a year or so we will see things back at normal (which I would say would be around 25-27lbs for 20", 24", or 26"). My 20" is finally back down to 25lbs, so is my 24", I love their stability, and I also love that I don't have to be scared of trying stuff.

Whatever, more power to you, and the bike looks tits, but I just question the ultra low builds, but then again, its probably not my place, right?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
exactly the same here. Lighter costs more and doesn't last as long. Not lasting as long means breaking stuff, means more cost. It's like a vicious circle, only way out is either riding carefully and supersmooth so you don't mess up, but that just keeps you from riding at the edge, or just spend some money on decent weighty parts.
Back in the trials-days I also drilled holes everywhere in my bike. That was ok for trials, but then came street and after two months I had not a single part left that didn't need replacing. Now my bike is much more heavy, but I LOVE the feeling it has: an indestructible piece of steel, stable both on the ground and in the air.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
3 more suggestions:

1. How light are the cranks? Do they have a Ti spindle? (I assume so).
2. I still say pivotal set-up. Since you run slammed, chop the post.
3. Aluminum nipples.
1. Crank is the lightest 2-piece crank (791g), much stronger than KHE Hindenburg 2pc or Odyssey Wombolt and specially made for MTB. It's a CrMo spindle, but it's 2pc so I cannot change. Lighter cranks (MacNeil or Demolition) break...(Demolition already offers a V2.0 of Medial, which is heavier...)
2. I rode a pivotal, stripped and with a alloy bolt...it's a little bit lighter, but I cannot slam the seat and I don't think it's beautyful...
3. I ride alloy nipples in the front...maybe get some for rear, but I'm a bit confused if this will work

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That thing is sick. You guys are hating too much on the weight. I don't see anything on there that should break or bend. He just built it up with up the lightest, but still reliable, parts available. I would love to boost that thing... it'd feel awesome being as light as my 20, but it'd still have some of the stability from the bigger wheels.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I'm not hating but I am picturing a small kid under 120lbs. Really nice bike but too clean. Enuf with the glam pics, time for action pics.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
dang thats light,

here are a few and seeing the rest of your build, money isn't too much of an issue

wellgo mg-1 with titanium spindle (just found these on ebay, only 296 grams!!)
WTB devo carbon seat with ti rails (really light and still good coverage)
run 24" tubes
use DT swiss super comp spokes (save alot of weight) or titanium. i know a guy who custom cuts titanium if your intersted.
alloy nipples in rear
and you could always go with a blkmrkt rigid and save 2 pounds.

sucks that your revelation broke. i just bought one to put on my rig but i don't go big.