Quantcast

How to set up your suspension: the internet guide.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
As we all know, suspension is the most expensive and therefore most important part of any mountain biker's vocabulary. Things like high-speed compression, low-speed circumference and static hysteresis must all be considered in order to get your bike dialled, as well as shiny enough to post photos of on the internet. Everyone can tell if your suspension setup sucks just by looking at photos of your bike, and let me tell you the internet is a harsh mistress. You might even be that dude who rips on everyone else for no reason. You do NOT want to be ostracised from this social circle, jerk.

So in order to receive positive rep, it is critical that you follow the correct procedure to set up your suspension:
1. Ask a professional. There are many of these on the Ridemonkey downhill forum, colloquially known as f=19 to IT types and web design nerds. Some of them even ride bikes.
2. Buy the most expensive gear you can afford. If it's not top of the line, that doesn't matter - the best you can afford is the best thing anyone would ever need. Justify it to yourself by arguing with people you've never met - they should know damn well that you don't need that adjuster. If it is top of the line, sneer at the plebs with their ported dampers. Suckers.
3. Pick a brand and hate it. This shows that you have standards, like hot girls do. Everyone will know that you're getting laid because you don't settle for second best.
4. Make sure your rear suspension is set up with exactly 33% sag. 34% is too much, 32% is too little. Ignore the fact that your bike has 25% more travel than your mate's bike.
5. Now is the time to start tooning your shuck to your riding style. Your compression should feel extra medium and your rebound speed should be acceptable. I refuse to quantify those because nobody has ever come to a consensus on whether rebound should be fast or slow and I don't want to alienate myself amongst this elite group.
6. Find a parking lot somewhere. Preferably with yellow lines so you can see them better if it's foggy. Bounce up and down on your bike. Comment to passers-by that it wallows in its travel and that your shock has too much high-speed hysteresis. Inappropriate comments like "Have to wait til I get it on the trail" will see you kicked right off the internet.
7. Give up and get your shuck tooned by a professional. Reinstall it on your bike the day after you inform Ridemonkey that it's the best thing ever.

You have now successfully concluded advanced suspension setup 101. If you're not winning world cup races by now, it's probably because you need matching anodised pedals and headset.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In short, your suspension product is at least as good as every other suspension product on the market (most likely better), and it is critical that you post a thread on every mtb forum letting everyone know.

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Also, don't forget to do the drop test;
Pick the bike up and drop it from head height. If you bike bounces your settings are officially "whack" and all your friends will laugh at your innadequate LSC/HSC/leverage ratio/Penis size.*(delete as appropriate)

This test obviously simulates the rigours of pro DH riding and can be seen round the back of any pro-team pit.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Never though you'd got so mad at the forum mumbo jumbo. Though the treads about how RM is bad start to pop up too often - I think you should add that to your list ;)

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
5. Now is the time to start tooning your shuck to your riding style. Your compression should feel extra medium and your rebound speed should be acceptable.
Gold.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I'm at 5 clicks and 7 clicks and I never bottom out, not even when I huck loading docks so I don't need your help. Oh, I have a Ti spring too for extra supple small bump and ramp so I can pop off lips but still plow. :rofl:

Thanks for laying it down for the n00bs tough.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Crap, I guess this means it's time to invest in a new Boxxer, my archaic pre-2010 Boxxer WC is def. holding me back. I always thought it was my skills holding me back, now I know it's definitely my fork. Thanks Socket!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'll tell you which fork doesn't need one - the RC3.

Just ask bikesair.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
8.) If all else fails write a post describing your desired set-up, brand shock, body weight w/ gear, and make/model of bike and the RM Suspension Experts will run this info through their Virtual eDyno's AKA as their brains.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
You have now successfully concluded advanced suspension setup 101. If you're not winning world cup races by now, it's probably because you need matching anodised pedals and headset.
socket just lost credibility in my eyes. i have had matching pedals and headset for years and i never one a WC :think: maybe i need to beef up on TL shiz.

also, do you think if i send my fox alps 4 to PUSH it will make me faster?

+Rep attempted - I must spread more around first:(

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
We're only just starting the third month of 2010 and the most informitive thread of the year has just happened.

I'll see you guys next year.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Be sure to quantify any advice you give on suspension tuning by first making sure everyone is aware of your racing / freechucking credentials.

Being considered a 'pretty hardcore dude' by your bra-bro's and holding the current 23.5-24 year old semi-expert non-smoker division title of your backyard are exactly the same as having an in-depth understanding of suspension design and setup and everyone needs to be made aware of this.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
If following Ridemonkey advice to the T still doesn't get you free tyres and a Monster Energy contract, don't despair. You can always seek out a someone who 'used to work in' motocross/superbike/WRC who will give you settings that are the polar opposite of the norm. The rationale behind this set-up will be explained comprehensively by a diagram of a car tyre going over a speed bump. Even if it feels like total sh*t just say it give you a 'buttery ride without compromising traction or incurring brake dive'. Everyone has an innate fear of changing their settings and not being able to get it back to what they had, so they will never be able to call you out on it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Most importantly, compare your suspension requirements and settings with those on some form of motorised transport that has no pertinent relevance to DH MTB whatsoever except some vague similarity in clothing styles.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
I'll tell you which fork doesn't need one - the RC3.

Just ask bikesair.
haha I am glad I am forming a good rep over here at Ridemonkey. The funny thing is Socket pretty much did an excellent job of solidifying my post on MTBR and here.

#2.5 on the list. "Buy the shock/fork with the most knobs because if your lacking nobs...your lacking as a person."

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Step 1: Ride off a curb.

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Suspension!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Most importantly, compare your suspension requirements and settings with those on some form of motorised transport that has no pertinent relevance to DH MTB whatsoever except some vague similarity in clothing styles.
No No No... You must set up your bike EXACTLY the same as your favorite pro rider, who to you is the only rider worth watching, adoring, loving, spanking to.......Because what works for Steve Peat, and Sam Hill WILL ABSOLUTLY work for you in exactly the same way!!! Arguement over..

haha I am glad I am forming a good rep over here at Ridemonkey. The funny thing is Socket pretty much did an excellent job of solidifying my post on MTBR and here.

#2.5 on the list. "Buy the shock/fork with the most knobs because if your lacking nobs...your lacking as a person."
<sigh>

YOur pretty knew here..... Ill let you in on a secret..... we love to scare off new people, its fun, **** we had one that didnt make it two minutes after his initial post. It was effin great.

Bottom line, you cant just step into the monkey and think you can box.......

P.S..... also why the forum veterans have multiple user names on different forums....

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
No No No... You must set up your bike EXACTLY the same as your favorite pro rider, who to you is the only rider worth watching, adoring, loving, spanking to.......Because what works for Steve Peat, and Sam Hill WILL ABSOLUTELY work for you in exactly the same way!!! Argument over..

<sigh>

Your pretty knew here..... Ill let you in on a secret..... we love to scare off new people, its fun, **** we had one that didn't make it two minutes after his initial post. It was effin great.

Bottom line, you cant just step into the monkey and think you can box......

P.S..... also why the forum veterans have multiple user names on different forums....
So I fixed all your spelling errors and 'knew' slipped. It's cool; honestly I could care less (except for the alot thing obviously, man that bugs). It's a forum not an English exam.

This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time dude. Thanks for the laugh. I think it's great that your forum has a click of 'uber' posters that have 'mad respect' and everyone else is gets treated like a noob. Very cool.

Forum 'veterans' hahahahah. Your elite, man I wish I could be more like you!

Last edited:

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
You need extra medium. Most motorcycle shops should stock it but if not, you could try mixing equal portions of somewhat medium and uber medium and it should be just right.

(just right being 32cSt, or thereabouts)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I fixed all your spelling errors and 'knew' slipped. It's cool; honestly I could care less (except for the alot thing obviously, man that bugs). It's a forum not an English exam.

This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time dude. Thanks for the laugh. I think it's great that your forum has a click of 'uber' posters that have 'mad respect' and everyone else is gets treated like a noob. Very cool.

Forum 'veterans' hahahahah. Your elite, man I wish I could be more like you!
Don't sweat the incredibly awkward and slightly illiterate.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

So I'm gonna update the procedure:
8. Take yourself very seriously. It is physically unpossible that somebody else on the internet could disagree with your opinion and not be wrong. Failure to get all high and mighty on the internet shows weakness and ineptitude when it comes to tuning suspension, riding and procreating.
9. Custom tune your own shim stacks. It doesn't matter whether you know what you're doing, custom tooned shucks are always better. Because they're custom and everyone else's isn't. Anyone who rides your bike and points out that it rides like complete crap is obviously unaware that it's custom tuned for you and only you, and for anyone more than 400 grams heavier or lighter than you it'll be unrideable.
10. Clutch tightly at highly simplified "ideal" setups. If your leverage ratio doesn't decrease at a linear rate then you're just never going to get laid. Also make sure that you drop your spring rate at least 25% for every additional click of compression you use. This is a fixed ratio and not open for debate or variation. Failure to follow this simple rule could result in Americans not winning any world cups for the next 10 years. Blame Rockwell, he f**ked it up for all of you by failing to drop his spring rate sufficiently.
11. Tell everyone that they don't need their adjusters. Pros don't use adjusters. You can't adjust your suspension while you're actually riding. More adjusters just make it more complicated. It works better when you don't f**k with it anyway. Besides, what would you know that Marzocchi don't? They've been making forks for years and you've only been riding since before suspension forks were even used on bicycles. They're professionals.
12. Remember that your suspension should bottom out once a run. Doesn't matter whether your bike has 6" of travel or 10" of travel, nor what run you're on. If you're bombing down a graded fireroad and you just can't bottom your fork out, you need to stop on the spot and remove the spring. Not getting full travel is unacceptable on the internet.
13. Number 12 was just to see if you're paying attention - it's clearly BS since riding your bike anywhere but on the internet is taboo. And it's easy to get full travel on the internet - check out all the pictures of women who have managed to get their bottom out on camera.

Last edited:

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
anyone know what oil should be used when rebuilding a Fox DHX coil?
Well, I used a light medium and it worked fine. But I can't remember the manufacturer. I will ask my buddy who sold it to me, he's an suspension expert as he is tuning all the forks and shocks from all people around here. He even tuned my Boxxer to the max. Now it has a light progression in the beginning and decreases linear to the end. It's really great, but I can't tell you guys everything since it's still just a bit top-secret...