Quantcast

Howdy

allone

Chimp
Aug 19, 2007
Nacogdoches
Yeah, I live in Texas but I am nowhere near a cowboy.

Anyway, I found this place and thought I would join up. I read a lot more than I post on forums. I don't know how much I will be posting around here...especially since I really have no knowledge in biking...but hey that's why I am here.

Just kinda getting into it. It's part of my 'get healthy' plan for myself. Quitting smoking, trying to do stuff that gets me outside. I figure that when I am old and can no longer do these types of activities I would rather look back on a life of fun and good times rather than TV and video games.

I am wanting to get into mountain biking...er, rather trail riding seeing as how there are no mountains around here. I have a beginners bike, a giant boulder that my local shop highly recommended for me. It's nothing special but it works for me, being a starter and a poor college student.

Anyway, I kinda went on there, just saying hey.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I figure that when I am old and can no longer do these types of activities...
Do it now and you can probably do it later too.

My grandparent-in-laws are 87 and 85 and they travel, go hiking, probably knock boots too.

welcome to da :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That's what I am hoping.

Thanks for the welcome.

edit, after some more reading, I hope I don't get as addicted to this as I am with my car! I may have to get a second job just to support another habit.
Eh, in a few years you'll be commuting to work on you bike. I save $600/yr commuting ~3 days a week. That's like a new bike every three years :D

And you really only need, like, 4-5 bikes ;)

allone

Chimp
Aug 19, 2007
Nacogdoches
haha, I don't know if I could ever spend that much on a bike. Of course I say that now. Who knows?

I really would like to use my bike to commute, I work at the school that I go to so it would be perfect. It's just that I live off of a long two lane road with a speed limit of 55mph. People fly down that road and I am pretty intimidated to ride a bike down it.

I might be moving soon and being able to commute on a bike is a big part of my decision.

I am going to be able to ride a lot more often now regardless of where I am living. I just got a used roof rack for my car so I can take it anywhere. That's the real reason I joined up here. I found a used thule roof rack system at a really great price. Just waiting for it to get here, already have some trips planned etc.

allone

Chimp
Aug 19, 2007
Nacogdoches
Nothing major or anything like that. I've been wanting to go to Davey Crockett National forest. It's maybe 30-40 minutes from here and I hear they have some nice trails. A friend and I have it already planned out, everything ready to go, just waiting on a way to get our bikes there so we can decide when.

edit, also kinda throwing around an idea for a camping/kayaking/biking long weekend up in Arkansas.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
"haha, I don't know if I could ever spend that much on a bike. Of course I say that now. Who knows?"

Ohhhhh, you will, trust me. I never thought 20 years ago when I started mountain biking that anyone could ever pay $2000 or more for a bike. Ahem, well, yep.

Welcome and don't worry about age or abilility, just go ride! Hell, I'm 43 and just started downhill riding. Age is a number.

Welcome. What part of Texas? I'm from around the Lufkin area (East Texas Pineywoods)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yeah, if I had read your location..duh.:poster_oops:

We live up in PA now, but get back every now and then.

allone

Chimp
Aug 19, 2007
Nacogdoches
Yeah, if I had read your location..duh.:poster_oops:

We live up in PA now, but get back every now and then.
Ah, no problem. I didn't read yours either...otherwise I wouldn't have said that I am directly north of you :huh:

Do you know of any nice places for trails around in this area?