Quantcast

Howitzer BB Problem (possibly solved) input needed

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
My Holzfeller DH cranks fall off my BB after maybe 1 hour of riding or 1-2 hard DH runs.
Originally I assumed that I was installing the BB wrong. I tried it with one 2.5mm on the drive side like shown in the directions. Then I tried with no spacers, still the problem continued. I was looking at the directions today, specifically the different crankstop seals on different sized BB's. It looks like my 83mm BB has 100mm BB crankstop seals on it...They are huge. I am wondering if truvativ put on the wrong sized integrated crankstop/seal. The ones on there look huge, they are 4-5mm long. Where as the ones on the 68/73mm BB are like 1mm... I'll get a picture to show in like 5 minutes.

EDIT: I just noticed another thing...it has a 68/73mm spindle cover on it(the plastic tube inside the BB shell)...WTF did someone just throw parts from each different BB and put it in a box.

I had a 68/73mm BB laying around so I decided to try something. I took the crankstop seals off of that one, put them on my 83mm one and put on a 2.5mm spacer on both sides of the BB. My cranks now tighten down perfectly. And it still shifts correctly do I didnt change the chainline too much. Is what I did OKAY???? Pictures below.