Quantcast

How's the job market where you live?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm currently in college studying computer sciences and am gearing myself towards becoming some sort of Junior Administrator with a healthy background in data communication security. I'm doing this up here in Toronto and I have always been open to eventually moving to the States (lived in Denver for two years and loved it), if the right opportunity pops up. As long as I don't fail any courses, I should be graduating in the Spring of 2014.

How is the job market looking where all of you work (specifically speaking to anyone in IT)? Any hotspots or booming areas? I really have no clue what is happening down there.

I should have an internship term coming in September, too. Anyone have an opening? Haha. Willing to work for beer and a place to crash with my bike!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you are in toronto you should be at the quest for fire/the highest order/surinam show right fvcking now...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
There are lots of tech jobs in Boulder. Particularly for programmers. There's been a continual shortage of those over the past few years.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
There are lots of tech jobs in Boulder. Particularly for programmers. There's been a continual shortage of those over the past few years.
know 2 ppl from DC who moved there recently.
one's a PM, the other BD/bus capture
neither would have a gig if it weren't for their developers, so yeah...what you said.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
arrived to my inbox a min ago:
Everyone
I need an additional consultant to join our team for a short gig in
Kazakhstan. May-June 2013
Requirement: consultant will be a 1099 and needs to be in good health
and have own health insurance. Need to have some COMSEC experience as
well.
If interested contact me at ****@gmail.com
implied requirement is ability to disassemble & shoot any "recovered" SKS or kalishikov, and having graduated SERE school

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That sounds like a sweet job opportunity haha

I am honestly so confused right now. I want to persue administration or network design of some sort after I graduate, but I am doing best in my programming classes...Even though I don't fully enjoy writing code. And with that said, the only programming classes I've taken has been for asp, BASH and and Perl.

I just can't wait to graduate and be done stressing about all these rediculous assignments, tests and exams. Not to mention the boring as all **** literature courses I usually get stuck with.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That sounds like a sweet job opportunity haha

I am honestly so confused right now. I want to persue administration or network design of some sort after I graduate, but I am doing best in my programming classes...Even though I don't fully enjoy writing code. And with that said, the only programming classes I've taken has been for asp, BASH and and Perl.

I just can't wait to graduate and be done stressing about all these rediculous assignments, tests and exams. Not to mention the boring as all **** literature courses I usually get stuck with.
The ridiculous assignments don't end when you get a job. But you get paid for completing them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pursue what you enjoy.

I hate writing code. It's useful to be able to do some coding/scripting in virtually all areas of IT, so it's good knowledge to have and a good skill to employ, but if you have to do it all day every day, and you don't like it, you're going to want to jump off a bridge.

Your school doesn't have a more IT focused degree, instead of getting a computer science degree and not wanting to pursue computer science?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I hate writing code. It's useful to be able to do some coding/scripting in virtually all areas of IT, so it's good knowledge to have and a good skill to employ, but if you have to do it all day every day, and you don't like it, you're going to want to jump off a bridge.

redneckognize!