Quantcast

HP Slate

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well?
Well, well -- what's this? We just got our hands on what looks like an internal HP Slate presentation given to cool down some of the iPad hype amongst HP employees, and it just happens to have specs and pricing details on the elusive Windows 7 tablet. As we'd heard, the Slate will run $549 in its base configuration, which has a 8.9-inch 1024 x 600 capacitive multitouch display, a 1.6GHz Atom Z530 processor with UMA graphics and an accelerator for 1080p video playback (we're assuming it's a Broadcom Crystal HD chip), 32GB of flash storage and 1GB of non-upgradeable RAM. There's also a $599 version with 64GB of storage, and both models will have a five-hour battery, an SDHC slot, two camera, a USB port, a SIM card slot for the optional 3G modem, and a dock connector for power, audio, and HDMI out. Of course, what this spec list doesn't cover is software, and we still haven't seen much of how HP plans to make Windows 7 on a full slate device with netbook-class internals perform as smoothly or as intuitively as its demo videos. That's not a small challenge, especially since the iPad is out now and setting some pretty high expectations for how this new breed of tablets should work. We've got our fingers crossed -- show us something good, HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeDalRBjyJo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeDalRBjyJo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's not the hardware specs that matter. It's the user experience that does. Admittedly I haven't fondled an iPad yet (or, clearly, a Slate) so I can't judge directly.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's not the hardware specs that matter. It's the user experience that does. Admittedly I haven't fondled an iPad yet (or, clearly, a Slate) so I can't judge directly.
Basic things like the screen type greatly greatly influence the user experience. Standard LCDs are useless in bright light and backlights are not easy on the eyes for reading sessions. Notion addressed it so you aren't stuck with single display mode not suited to reading...nobody else has.

All three of these tablets have the crappy glossy/glare coating which is far worse than in a more static environment you use an LCD monitor. Even Apple realized it was wrong not to offer anti-glare in their MacBook Pro line.

The Notion can also handle blu-ray quality HD and has an HDMI output so you could download the latest movie on your way home and watch it on your entertainment center at home. You could also stream titles in HD. If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, you could finish it on the go. Many people are interested in these home theater net appliance/PC type functionalities.

HP and Notion have basic functionality the iPad is missing out of the box - you can plug USB stuff into it, expand/access storage with flash cards (just like the Macbook Pro), and view your photos to see detail you can't on a camera screen. They have cameras too which Apple thinks are useful enough to have in their real PCs and displays. The HP has crap battery life which also matters for the user experience - it should be more like a book, not something you have to dock often to recharge.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Notion could be the best product on the market, but it will never sell like a Kindle or Ipad will.
both companies have a far better marketing department than this new company does. and we all know marketing sells crap...i.e.: Bose, Monster Cable, Apple.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd rather have an e-ink screen but not at the expense of near 1-sec refresh times and the ability to display only 2-bit grayscale.

"Blu-ray quality HD" on a device with a 10" screen held at arm's length is irrelevant. I personally don't see why HDMI output is a big deal--if I'm at home I'd play the movie off of the computer, not plug in the tablet. The tablet would sit with me on the couch as I watched the movie off another device. I would like "bookmarking" of the video so that, as you said, resuming it on the tablet would be seamless.

Plugging USB stuff into it isn't super necessary given Bluetooth IMO. (Printing support needs to appear in the iPad but can be done over Bluetooth.) Flash card reader is a $30 accessory via the iPad's dock connector already. Camera would be nice, agreed, and I don't really know why Apple would have left it out. Of all devices an iPad with front- and back-facing cameras would be ideal for on-the-go iChat AV videoconferencing.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
When the hardware specs influence the user experience it does mater. And without being able to handle either one, the specs are all we really have to go on so far.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd rather have an e-ink screen but not at the expense of near 1-sec refresh times and the ability to display only 2-bit grayscale.
Its a multimode Pixel Qi screen so you get it all..

"Blu-ray quality HD" on a device with a 10" screen held at arm's length is irrelevant. I personally don't see why HDMI output is a big deal--if I'm at home I'd play the movie off of the computer, not plug in the tablet
Who the hell wants to see a movie on computer screen when you have an HDTV. A dock is fine - I don't see you complaining about your iPod dock. There are all sorts of wireless TV connection schemes these days. The iPad has a dock for hooking it up to your TV only its output is completely useless/low resolution.

Plugging USB stuff into it isn't super necessary given Bluetooth IMO.
Sure it is, its supposed to be like a netbook but superior but its inferior. Plenty of people have portable HDD or flash drives.

Flash card reader is a $30 accessory via the iPad's dock connector already.
It should just work, you shouldn't need a bag of accessories especially when you are already getting ripped off. Other tablets have it built it, just like the MacBook Pro.

The Macbook Air and Dell Adamo are miserable failures compared to netbooks and ULV laptops.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"Blu-ray quality HD" on a device with a 10" screen held at arm's length is irrelevant. I personally don't see why HDMI output is a big deal--if I'm at home I'd play the movie off of the computer, not plug in the tablet.
"Blu-ray quality HD" on a small screen is stupid, (not as dumb as Panasonic's portable blurray unit,) but buzz words like "1080p output" get the average consumer's panties wet.
i do though like the option of a HDMI output, whether it be a mini-connector or full size, its still nice to have on something with the capabilities of these types of devices. Hell, most HD camcorders have a mini-connector and new phones will have them as well, why not a mini "computer" like these things are.

and built in USB is nice. getting a bluetooth option for all of my equipment would be nuts...cameras, flash drives, printers, remotes....

Not always, see netbook market.
example?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
oh, i didnt know what you were referring to. i know how large the netbook market is from talking with my old computer distributor customers, but these types of tablets arent netbooks.
Yeah but it shows a new product segment can blow up even faster/bigger than an over-marketed one. Apple/Jobs claimed the tablet was better than a netbook when its clearly not.