Quantcast

HP toner cartridges

HP wants $146- for a LaserJet Q5949X Black Print Cartridge for my 1320 PCL 6. "Compatible" equivalents sell in the $25-50 range based on some rooting around in Google.

Buy from HP or buy one of the non-factory cartridges. Any experience or recommendations?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had an epson that was going to cost $90 to replace the toner. Picked up a brand new Brother laser printer for $69. I should get 1200 pages before having to buy new toner. That should take me about 10 years.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We've bought refurbished laser toners from http://www.provantage.com/ (few different brands) for years - no problems. Don't forget you still need to buy and install maintenance kits after a certain number of prints - we've gotten some from provantage but most from a different reseller that specializes in that, forget its name right now. We've had a few printers that have printed literally over a million pages without anything else so the kits are worthwhile.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
You should be fine with the non-OEM cartridge, though HP doesn't want you to use them. I have experience in this field, I fixed copiers and laser printers for 22 years. Don't forget to replace the maintenance kit (fuser section) at the recommended interval (non-OEM units are fine for this also).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Can't you just call the nice xerox lady and tell her teh copy maker thingy isn't working and you've already checked the paper? This has always worked for me.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You should be fine with the non-OEM cartridge, though HP doesn't want you to use them.
Yeah especially the new printers as their toners have chips in them and non-OEM occasionally have problems but pretty rarely for us.