Quantcast

HR Monitors for Training?

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
Hi all,
Is anyone using heart rate monitors for their training or GPS watches? I'd like to hear from riders that are using them in their training or riding. Any pro's or con's to them?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I have a polar RCX5 used in conjunction with the G5 GPS unit, cadence and speed sensors. I use the GPS unit only for approximate pace determination while running. It seems pretty accurate, but in general, I would avoid using GPS only. In my case, i used it because I havent yet been able to source a stride sensor, the S3+. I know the S3 works as well. A stride sensor is way more accurate, but the GPS unit works in a pinch.

ON the bike, i leave nothing to chance: speed and cadence sensors all the way. If I could have a power meter for my XC bike, i'd get that as well. BUt it's too darn pricey for my liking, and honestly, not quite necessary for my purposes.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I find my Garmin 705 really useful. I find it pretty accurate. It records my HR along with the gps track so I can see what my heart rate was at any point on the ride. I don't have the speed/cadence sensor or the power meter tho. I use it on every ride so I have a nice log of all my rides. They don't make the 705 anymore but the new touch screen (glove friendly) 805 will be my next unit.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I use one, and with it and the research to actually use it effectively, I've made some noticeable improvements (ie, the above method of "heartrate low? work harder" is not how to use a HRM effectively). I'm no pro, and only have limited time for training, so my goal was to most effectively use the available time I have. And, it's definitely helped in that regard.

Joe Friel has written a few books on using HRM's that helped me quite a bit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I use one, and with it and the research to actually use it effectively, I've made some noticeable improvements (ie, the above method of "heartrate low? work harder" is not how to use a HRM effectively). I'm no pro, and only have limited time for training, so my goal was to most effectively use the available time I have. And, it's definitely helped in that regard.

Joe Friel has written a few books on using HRM's that helped me quite a bit.