Quantcast

Huge Colorado Trip Report with Pictures

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I don't really feel like doing this all at once so it may be a bit of a work in progress.

I was definitely not ready to leave Colorado...after a week of riding epic trails and drinking tasty microbrews every night, being back in SC just doesn't quite do it for me. We flew in last saturday and stayed in a dope 2 bedroom condo at Keystone. UPS decided it would be funny to have James' bike waiting for us, but not deliver mine until monday (Same box, shipped at the same time from the same place???). Oh well, we got the bike eventually and did as much riding as we could. We only got one day of Lifts at Keystone, along with one day at Vail and a couple days trailriding.

First day of shooting I was bikeless, so we shot on some trails around keystone and sessioned some lines we found.

A cool rock line we cleaned up to hit.

More Later

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Day two of riding was the bike park at Keystone. We did three runs in the morning, but a crash had James' arm bothering him by the last one, so we decided to head back to the condo and grub, with plans to return for a few more runs in the afternoon. Back on the lift around 3:00 PM, we decided to take a "picture run" so i'd have some shots from Keystone. Unfortunately, the picture run turned out to be more of a "deadly hail/lightning/soaked to the bone" run, so I have no pictures from the trails at Keystone.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Day 3 of riding; the Colorado Trail above Keystone.

This was likely the most fun day of riding we did all week. The day's total was about 17 miles, with 6 miles of climbing, which on DH bikes at altitude turned out to be mildly exhausting. This section of the CO trail had to be the flowiest descent i've ever ridden, 3.5 miles of pure railage on handlebar wide singletrack is right up my alley.

The pretty twins with some creep in the background.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Day 4 was lifts at Vail. Vail has killer terrain and awesome trails, but I'd like to see them add some more options, because there are basically only 2 DH trails down. Fortunately for us, both of them are incredible. We managed to get 6 runs in before the daily downpour hit, but my rear brake failed the last run anyway.

Old Nine, right about where my rear brake decided to piss out it's fluid all over my rotor leaving me front braking only.

Ninety-Fo DH

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
The fifth and final day of riding was a bit less exciting, since we had to spend a good chunk of the day trying to get my brake fixed. Luckily, the wrench at Keystone sports bled it in a few minutes for something like $8, which is a hell of a deal considering my local shops would've taken two weeks and charged me out the ass. Once we got that figured out (around 2 pm), we decided $30 for 3 hours of lift riding wasn't worth it, so we went and shredded some lines we threw together near our condo.

Off this rock

over this rock line

into this little berm

and off this little gap onto a rock slab.

Where we got the only pic of me from the whole trip.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Thanks for lookin, this was easily the best week of my summer, I envy anyone that gets to live/ride out there. Now that i'm back down at a comfortable 1000ft, I owe it to myself to head to pisgah and dominate before I acclimate back to my typical huffing and puffing state. Here's a parting shot taken on the plane en route to Gville from ATL last night.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
seems like a quality trip and the shots are awesome.. i was just in colorado visiting fam. only for 2 days but now i want to go back just to ride

T-Pirate said:
Thanks for lookin, this was easily the best week of my summer, I envy anyone that gets to live/ride out there. Now that i'm back down at a comfortable 1000ft, I owe it to myself to head to pisgah and dominate before I acclimate back to my typical huffing and puffing state. Here's a parting shot taken on the plane en route to Gville from ATL last night.

Great pics of an epic trip it looks like - looks like you took all the shots. On the acclimating, you only have about 5 days. I did the same thing when I came back from Utah. It was great while it lasted though.

monchichi8

Chimp
Mar 4, 2006
Boulder, CO
YEa, the riding out here is sooo amazing!...Glad you had such a great time...I guess thats why I finally decided to move out here 6 months ago. Epic times!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
DHanamal said:
Front brake only on Old Nine. :eek:
:dead:

Yep, luckily I made it through the three or four consecutive drop-ins before it crapped out entering the off camber woods section. I made it through all of upper, but I fell on the switchback on lower old nine. That rear brake makes a huge difference on steep trails like that.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
N8 said:
The southwest roxorz!
Sincw hen was CO part of the traditional "southwest"?

It's okay, you can admit your region has terrible riding and crappy hills to go up, and that I'm faster than you...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
What's rich got to do with anything? :confused:

Welp.....I am working two jobs right now.....So I can afford school and stuff like that...Which means no cool trip for me.

If I had extra money (aka..."rich") I would love to do that stuff. It looks super fun.