Quantcast

huge problem with 3 new pcs. geekmonkeys unite!!!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so. we just bought 3 new identical pcs.

they booted once (sp2), then they died.

one of them makes awful scratching sounds when booting up, and does not boot at all. my bet, the hd is gone. (7)

another one, boots, but doesnt go past loading mup.sys, not even in safe mode, not even in safe mode with dos prompt, and restart itselfs and again we go.... (8)

the other one is working right now, but am afraid it will die once we turn it off (as it has happened with the other 2). (6)

the motherboard is a pc chips P25g, the processor is intel celeron (dont remember speed right now).

i suspect the hd is gone in (7). ram is defective on (8), and i havent take a look at 6 yet.

i need to pinpoint the failure source, hopefully asap.
claim warranty is not an option, so i´m stuck with what we got until i fix them.

ideas??? i´m thinking about trial-error the ram slots, the ram itself, the harddrive. but i´ve got no spare motherboards nor processors to try.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Holy crap. Where the hell did you get these things?

Harddrive gone on #7.

Format and reinstall #8. If the reinstall goes okay, it might be fine. If not, we can diagnose from there, it could easily be hardware related.

#6, just do normal things with it. No point in leaving it running 'cause you're scared it will die. Reboot it, install programs... if it all works okay, then you should be good.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Holy crap. Where the hell did you get these things?

Harddrive gone on #7.

Format and reinstall #8. If the reinstall goes okay, it might be fine. If not, we can diagnose from there, it could easily be hardware related.

#6, just do normal things with it. No point in leaving it running 'cause you're scared it will die. Reboot it, install programs... if it all works okay, then you should be good.
mail order, from outside peru. :mumble: we got a bunch of everything but cases. all of them work, but these 3.
it wasnt my call actually, but that is how i got them.

reinstalling xp sp1 pro on # 8 right now.
installation seems to go fine so far.

what is that program somebody mentioned here before to batch-install xp???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Batch install? I don't know anything about a batch install. You can set up an unattended install if you want - is that what you mean? You just pop the CD in and go through the steps of choosing the partition and such, and the rest happens automatically, including startup configuration (like usernames, screen resolutions, etc.).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well. problems seem to be fixed for now.

replaced the harddrive and the ram on #7. xp sp2 installation was fine.
installed xp sp2 on 8, and it seems stable so far.

#6 doesnt die yet. seems is fine. i guess the time it re-started was an isolated crash.