Quantcast

Hugo makes Stoltz work hard

Oct 20, 2009
<p>In their first battle of the American Xterra season Dan Hugo made his fellow South African Conrad Stoltz pull out all the stops for a victory at Xterra Santa Cruz.</p><p>
Xterra made its comeback to the Northern California coast after a nine year absence. Conditions were tough. It rained overnight and that made for some muddy sections on the mountain bike trail. Even though there was no rain during the race, it was very cold.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hugo completed the 1.5km-swim, 30km-mountain bike and 10km-trail run at the Wilder Ranch State Park in 2 hours, 13 minutes and 38 seconds. Only 47 seconds behind Stoltz (2:12.51). Seth Wealing was third in 2:14.49.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hugo was out of the water in third place behind Wealing and Brandon Rakita. It was on his Specialized Epic 29'er though that he took control and made sure it was a three man race between Stoltz, Wealing and himself.</p><p>
The first 6km (four miles) of the bike course allowed riders to speed alongside the coast on smooth pavement and bike paths before heading into Wilder Ranch, where they were greeted with grinding climbs, swooping downhills and treacherous single track trails darkened by the forest canopy.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hugo's intentions were clear, but mountain biking has always been a strong suit of Stoltz. It was on the muddy downhills - his favorite - that Stoltz made his move and "managed to slip and slide out of Dan's sight". Hugo could only look on in amazement. "He's simply magical. So incredible to watch when he's on his game, out of the saddle twisted to one side and never a thought of touching the brakes," said Hugo.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stoltz and Hugo posted nearly identical run splits. Stoltz ran a 35.09 and Hugo 35.03.</p><p>
“I kept hoping I would catch Conrad on the run. I know he’s probably not his sharpest because he’s had a bit of illness, but I was hoping. I know I’ve done double the running work, but still when he needs to he just performs – it’s amazing. I have to give credit where credit’s due. My pace was creeping down to about 3:22 per kilometer, but he was running the same. I felt cold and perhaps biomechanically a bit restricted, but otherwise I felt good," said Hugo.</p><p>
</p><p>
After crossing the finish line Stoltz was clearly exhausted and relieved with his performance. Hugo was in general happy with his start to the American Xterra series.</p><p>
"It was fun! I haven’t raced an Xterra since South Africa about two and a half months ago. It’s excellent to have a new Xterra venue and good to be back in California. Santa Cruz is an iconic mountain bike location."</p><p>
</p><p>
California is Specialized country and according to Hugo it was good to have the crew at the venue.</p><p>
</p><p>
Photo: Nils Nilsen</p>

More...