Quantcast

Hydration packs

MA13_BK

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm thinking of using a bke to commute around the city while looking for work, instead of buying a monthy bus pass since the weathers pretty nice now. I figure I'll be pretty thirsty so I'm thinkin of getting a hydration pack. I was wondering if anyone knew of one large enough to carry a few books and/or a sweater.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just bought an 06 Camelbak Mule, and I am disappointed with the lack of space after the bladder is filled.

My old Hydrapak was less expensive and has more space while still holding 100 oz of water.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Look foractual backpacks with bladder holding built in. My motorcycle club bought a few (don't know the brand name sorry) that have the pockets built in. Other than that they are 100%backpack.

You can also just put a Camelback (or the like) in a normal backpack.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
RhinofromWA said:
Look foractual backpacks with bladder holding built in. My motorcycle club bought a few (don't know the brand name sorry) that have the pockets built in. Other than that they are 100%backpack.
Yep - I got my wife a fairly nice REI daypack with a sleeve for a bladder.

You can also just put a Camelback (or the like) in a normal backpack.
This is the Cheap Man's solution. :D

MA13_BK

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks. I didn't know they sold separate hydration water holding thingies. Now to find one that will let some air into my back and not have a big sweaty spot.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MA13_BK said:
Now to find one that will let some air into my back and not have a big sweaty spot.
Deuter and Vaude make large daypacks with the air suspension comfort type design.

I think Deuter is easier to get in the US than Vaude

Apr 27, 2006
I don't know if you have a costco nearby but they have one dirt cheap with a little extra space depending on how much you need. I think I will get it since it is about perfect for what I need.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
MA13_BK said:
Thanks. I didn't know they sold separate hydration water holding thingies. Now to find one that will let some air into my back and not have a big sweaty spot.
My Mule has air channels which help, but ya still get the sweaty back.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If you decide you want Camelback i've always thought the Blowfish was the best idea. It has an extra zipper than cinches it to a smaller pack or unzips to hold more stuff. i believe one of the other brands has the same feature on one of their packs.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Skookum said:
If you decide you want Camelback i've always thought the Blowfish was the best idea. It has an extra zipper than cinches it to a smaller pack or unzips to hold more stuff. i believe one of the other brands has the same feature on one of their packs.
yeah, i got the blowfish too. seems pretty popular. the HAWG has even more cargo space.