Quantcast

Hydraulic Discs

R

RideMonkey

I am getting my first set of Hydraulic disks this month. How has everyones experience been with these kinds of brake systems? Reliable? Low maintenance? How often do the pads need to be changed?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Oh My, I love My Hydros. Perfect stopping in all conditions. There are no cables that stretch on long decents and you dont have to worry about going from Water to sand and not having breaks.

Long Downhills, No problem.
Wet , No problem

Pads. For me On my DH bike i use my pads up every 6 Months-8months.

Its nice, because if you wheel becomes out of true, it still dose not affect your wheel and braking. But if you do fall and brake a line, you have no brakes. But the line are thick, and sometimes coated with metal lining.

I will never go back to vees.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
with the right and proper setup, almost any brand hydros are reliable and offer a lot of stopping power over conventional vees especially in less than perfect conditions. Hydros reduce hand fatigue. You can hit the brakes a lot later coming into turns (more speed) and almost always (depending on brand) consistent stopping power.

there are only a few things that differentiate one brand from the other... sheer power, maintenace and modulation.
Maintenance, well, it depends on how much know how you have about whichever system you're running. But the most typical maintenance done is changing of fluid (mineral or DOT fluid). I bleed my system about at every start of racing season or when I notice frequent brake pumps (unusual fluid heat build up). The fluid brakes down just like the brake fluid in our cars.
The pads are dependent on how and where you use the brakes.. I'm sure the guys in the Northwest change the pads more often than I do. Me, I change mine as I see fit..usually a year from install. Other lil finicky things to look at are seals and other parts. Look for fluid build up around calipers (usually where the hose meets the caliper of where the hose leaves the master cylinder) and master cylinder. If the build up/leak persist and there is no onvious sign of structural crack on the surface, it's more than likely the seals are worn and need replacing. I run Hopes exclusively and I love the fact that I can work on every single piece that makes up the system since Hopes are a modular design. I stock up on seal kits and plunger and dust covers...I do all the fixing and maintenance on mine.
I recommend Hayes..simplicity and sheer power. Hope, bec they're goddam beautiful and offers better modulation than anything else... I'm not a fan of mineral oil based system like Shimano and Magura so I have no comment on these...

does this short response help at all?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On my do-everything bike I'm finally on my second set of pads (this on Hayes) after 2.5+ years.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by RideMonkey
I am getting my first set of Hydraulic disks this month. How has everyones experience been with these kinds of brake systems? Reliable? Low maintenance? How often do the pads need to be changed?
Which brakes? Go with Hopes:D

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
And have you decided what bike you are putting them on yet?

(i may have missed if you already picked one out) Sorry.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Yeti DHer
And have you decided what bike you are putting them on yet?

(i may have missed if you already picked one out) Sorry.
Yes but I havent said anything about it yet. I don't want to say anything about it until it actually arrives at my door. Paranoid that way.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
You will really enjoy disc brakes.....If they are set up properly, you almost never have to worry about them....