Quantcast

Hydraulic Gyro

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So this may not be news to some of you, but from another thread I checked this out...

http://www.atomlab.com/brakehydro.html

anyone have experience with it? My initial thoughts are very sweet, but I find myself wondering if it poses and difficulties for bleeding. Not to mention the fact that you're pretty much hosed if you wanna put the brakes on another frame w/o a gyro.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Cool idea. Not sure what the point is...

I does look like it would catch bubbles and make bleeding a pain. Moving the brakes wouldn't be too bad, just swap the 2 pc hose for a single.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Old news, but definitely cool. I'm not sure how practical it really is, though, considering that most bmxers that still run brakes don't use a gyro. Most just untwist after the run. Not that many people do double bars or whips. And even fewer do them on 2sixes.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Cam McCaul was running a hydro gyro from a German company a while back. Great for spin tricks I guess, like if you were going to bar spin tail whip in non-complementary directions, as long as you seat tube mount a friction shifter. You've got to figure the market for such devices is pretty small.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I actualy think it looks cooler to have a cable all wrapped up around your stem plus, I would also rather not have the problems of bleeding and so forth, I will reserve furhter judgment untill I talk to someone/fellow rider who actualy has one. plus I love my bb7s

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
i can triple barspin without pre-winding my goodridge line.

i meant to cut it down...but my brake works pretty good...so...

I've been learning to (practice) tailwhip one way and then barspin back, so I dont have to do so much winding and unwinding.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'd be interested to hear what these perform like. That would allow you to run your lines zipped right to the frame and bars. nothing extra hanging off. That would make snagging a line nearly impossible and effectively remove one of the (neurotic and paranoid) reasons I don't run hydros.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
i dont get why people need hydros for DJing. Maybe for Slopestyle comps like Cam rides, but...
Who said anything about needing? I HAVE a hydraulic rear, it works better than any other brake I've ever owned, I need a longer line. I ask you, why would I go buy a different brake setup just because it's not necessary to run hydraulics for dirt jumping?