Quantcast

I am getting fat and flabby...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I really need to start exercising my chest and mid-section. I am thinking pushups and situps should do the trick, but want to hear input if there is a better way to go.

Thanks

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah, I live on a hill so I get a bit of cardio pedaling up to hit the trails. I could also put some street tires on my XC bike and pull out the trainer too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Heidi
You probably need to start with cardio so you can burn some fat.
This is the key in my experience. Well this and what you eat/drink.

In September of 2002 I weighed 210 pounds. I was commuting to work, riding all the time, and racing occasionally. I don't eat at fast food burger joints and don't really like soda pop. So why was I still a "clydesdale"?

I decided to try something different because I wasn't losing any weight even though I was in pretty decent shape.

I quit drinking beer and started doing workouts 3 times a week of 1 hour on rollers and about a half hour doing crunches and pushups. This was in addition to my normal rides.

By Christmas I lost 20 pounds, down to 190. Lately I seem to have leveled off at 185. I'm thinking with the final workout push going into racing season and the fact that the weather is going to get nice soon, I should hit the season at about 180 and be kicking some decent ass.

What I've found is that "riding up a hill to the trail head" doesn't count as "cardio" unless you honestly keep your heart rate up and your legs spinning for at least 30 minutes. And you get huge gains as you increase that time, so the longer you can stand it, the better.

Good luck, it ain't easy, but it's worth it :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sit ups and pushups are good but they are not going to burn fat. To burn the fat you must raise your metabolism. To do this you must increase the time you excercise with your heart rate over 65% to 75% of max. This is not hammering and not easily done on the type of trails you enjoy riding. Short, intense burts of speed and effort will build muscle but it will not burn fat.

On your Giant (nice & heavy) try adding 3 1 hour road sessions at a steady 12 to 15 MPH flat, try to pick an area where you are not likely to be stopped by traffic signals or slowed down too much by hills. The key is slow and constant effort just below your fatigue level.

I went from 203 LBS to 155 using this method.

I hate to mention it on this board but... 3 five mile runs a week will help you drop 30 lbs in 6 months or less.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I hate to mention it on this board but... 3 five mile runs a week will help you drop 30 lbs in 6 months or less.
Yeah, I wish I could run, it would have been a lot faster way to lost weight, but alas my knees, shins, and ankles just don't put up with that running sh!t :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
By Christmas I lost 20 pounds, down to 190. Lately I seem to have leveled off at 185. I'm thinking with the final workout push going into racing season and the fact that the weather is going to get nice soon, I should hit the season at about 180 and be kicking some decent ass.
Congratulations. :thumb:

Not only will you be kicking deecent ass - you'll also be getting some too! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
Yeah, I wish I could run, it would have been a lot faster way to lost weight, but alas my knees, shins, and ankles just don't put up with that running sh!t :(
Most bikers can run faster than they should due to well developed thigh and calve muscles. Since biking is low inpact (until you crash) your joints and connective tissues (shin area) are not nearly as stong as they need to be for running. Early injury is common. A good alternative is trail running - less pavement always equals more fun. :D

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Thanks for the help guys, I really hate running so that is out. I suppose my best bet is getting on the trainer and spinning for 30 minutes or more then doing situps and pushups. I have a 20lb dumbell I do some Arm and shoulder exercises with and my legs are in great shape. I don't have alot of fat but I am getting a belly. I think if I could get my mid section toned up it would be alot less noticable, but eventually I guess I need to put in the effort to reduce it.

I mainly want some exercises I can do for 30 minutes before I go to work 2-3 times per week. On top of my normal riding.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I was a runner for 10 years, really into it, marathons, 15k's 10K's, & such :D Then started getting foot & knee pains and problems :( So I started biking ('bout 6 years ago), pretty much been riding ever since :D :D :D
Two months ago I wanted to get below 185lbs & thought I'd suppliment the weight training with running again, but only twice per week, it was was great for about 6 weeks, but started getting those pains again :angry: So, back to just weights 3 days and biking inbetween.
Maybe someday I'l give up the Ice Cream :oink:

Mid january, I was at 142 lb and not overweighter(5'9", 15 yo) and deceided to loose weight and kick ass xc racing... until now, I've lost 14 pounds, keeping a daily diet of about 1700 calories, training 5 to 8 times of 1 hour each a week swimming and spinning. 1700 may sound small, but eating 3 meals a day it is possible by avoiding desert and too fat or sweet things. Lots of yougourt, vegetables, and your weight will go down real fast...

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I really need to start exercising my chest and mid-section. I am thinking pushups and situps should do the trick, but want to hear input if there is a better way to go.

Thanks

Aren't you the same guy who started a thread last week that was titled something like 'Now We Know Why She Has a Fat Ass'??, referring to JLo's limo rides between hotels. Now, I don't think JLo is fat at all, but even if she was, I'd think someone carrying a few extra pounds might not spout off about another person's ample behind.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Mocha
Aren't you the same guy who started a thread last week that was titled something like 'Now We Know Why She Has a Fat Ass'??, referring to JLo's limo rides between hotels. Now, I don't think JLo is fat at all, but even if she was, I'd think someone carrying a few extra pounds might not spout off about another person's ample behind.
OUCHIE. :p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Tenchiro

Thanks
Do you have a specific goal? I.E., losing pounds, adding muscle, toning up? It sounds to me like you want to lose weight, and all the exercise in the world won't help if you don't get your diet in check.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
:eek:

Mocha, you seem to me like a lady who shoots from the hip. :D :D

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
I swim alot and sometimes use my gym especially when my upper body starts flagging. I don't care about looking fit. However it is important to match the old prescribed body weight.

I have been riding all winter and I know that once I start using my second bike I will dive 20lbs fast with a little swimming on the side.

Not giving up on beer...cutting back is neccesary. Must control urge to walk across the street to the brewery for another tour...must stop using beer store in my apartment building, hard to control the urge...

Optimal Weight Calculator

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Your right that was me. But I wasn't referring to her ass so much as to someone who spends 15 minutes to get 30 people into a group of limos when they could have spent 5 minutes walking across the damn street.

I just used her ass for a catchy title. I know she ain't fat, and personally I like a chick that is curvy. But I don't like lazy prima donna's.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Here is a picture of me finishing a 50K* trail run in February of this year. Since I have been training pretty hard on mountain trails my weight has increased from 155 to 160. I am 5ft7. By these standards I am overweight with an unhealthy BMI... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thats 31 miles, punk. :monkey:

Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
I swim alot and sometimes use my gym especially when my upper body starts flagging. I don't care about looking fit. However it is important to match the old prescribed body weight.

I have been riding all winter and I know that once I start using my second bike I will dive 20lbs fast with a little swimming on the side.

Not giving up on beer...cutting back is neccesary. Must control urge to walk across the street to the brewery for another tour...must stop using beer store in my apartment building, hard to control the urge...

Optimal Weight Calculator
calculators like that are bullschit.

Tenchiro - you are right - there is no way that calculator can account for muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat.

According to that chart, I'm a chunky monkey.

But I can still kick your a$$.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
calculators like that are bullschit.

Tenchiro - you are right - there is no way that calculator can account for muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat.

According to that chart, I'm a chunky monkey.

But I can still kick your a$$.
You are ruining my self image. ;)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
That calculater thing is cool it also says i'm 10# under weight but i will still lose about 5-10# by the time i start racing.:)

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
That calc said I'm going to win all the races I enter this year, plus I'm going to win a million dollars! That thing is truly amazing!:sneaky:

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Those calcs also can't account for frame size or bone density. If you feel good and you're leading a healthy lifestyle, you're doing better than most.
According to the calc my ideal weight range is anywhere from 120-160; that's quite a spread.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Echo, I seem to be exactly the same as you. I am 6'1" and used to weight 220lbs. I have almost quit eating fast food all together. Maybe once every other month I might get a bean burito from Taco Bell and I occasionally drink some beer, but not on a regular schedule. Since riding 3-5 times a week for the past year or more I have dropped down to 200. But I really want to get down around 190. I have a heart rate monitor and used to do some running. Wow, when I did I really felt like I was buring some serious fat. My metabolism was high and I had tons of energy. I really need to start running again. But I did notice that it was important to stay close to that optimal heart rate. That was the key.

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
It's nearly summer - he will be riding everyday and the problem will be solved. ;)
Some friends told me that riding everyday was bad for you. Is that true? I know people that work out everyday... can't be much different.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Evilmunch
Some friends told me that riding everyday was bad for you. Is that true? I know people that work out everyday... can't be much different.
Hammering everyday is bad for you and may lead to joint and tissue damage. Riding everyday is fine so long as you take it easy and have rest days.

I tend to ride every day in the summer but I alternate between road and trail. I always hammer on the road because you can get an excellent cardio workout fast, I am more recreation oriented on the trail... I like a good climb but I never sustain the hammer like I do on the road.

My summer ususally looks like this:

Monday 20 miles road. Hammer pace.
Tuesday 20 miles road. Rest pace.
Wednesday 30 miles + road. Interavals.
Thursday 12 miles MTB. Moderate pace.
Friday 20 miles road. Hammer pace.
Saturday 2 hours fun mtb, no pace at all.
Sunday 50 + road or 3 to 4 hours maderate trail riding.

Every other weekend I go on 20 mile trail runs followed by 2 days of very low impact riding. If I push too hard for too long I do have knee discomfort - then I back off for a bit.

EDIT: I beleive Heidi rides every day to the tune of 10,000 mile + per year. She does fine.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I am 5'6" and at one time 4-5 years ago i weighed in at 172 lbs, in shape, and squatted 455x1 max. BIG meathead. Looked like a fireplug.

It helps to know your body type; I am an endomorph. (aka gains muscle and fat easily; linebacker/powerlifter type. mesomorphs are the cover models on mens health, gain little fat and easily add muscle, and ectomorphs, the basketball players. nuff said)

Times have changed and I have adopted a more balanced profile, down to 160-165 18 months ago just working out, no real cardio work. Not too bad but a serious beer gut.

Started racing last year and riding seriously. At least 5 hours of cardio needed for me a week, with lifting less a focus (2-3 times a week). Low processed carbs, more whole foods, and atkins style high protein/fat intake has got me down to 144 and 12% bodyfat (8-19% is considered healthy for my age). Beer gut is no longer a "gut", but not completely gone. One rule: first on, last off when it comes to fat.

Basically, adding muscle, burning calories with increased activity, be it on a treadmill or outdoors, and good food all go hand in hand.

Remember to take an "off day" every week or so and skip the gym, the health food whatever. Follow your cravings with a taste; portion control is key. Not enjoying what you like is not healthy.

PS I LOVE ice cream. But only 1-2 times a week.:angry: ;)

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Here is a picture of me finishing a 50K* trail run in February of this year. Since I have been training pretty hard on mountain trails my weight has increased from 155 to 160. I am 5ft7. By these standards I am overweight with an unhealthy BMI... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thats 31 miles, punk. :monkey:
damn thats impressive. i am not in shape!:angry: :dead:

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Originally posted by dangitboy
Beer and Hot Wings diet...
And just RIDE RIDE RIDE!!
Right on! I have always thought that really hot food (my favorite is Thai) and lots of riding is all it takes - well, along with running 20 minutes every day, riding the bike at least 30 minutes a day (even if it is on the trainer - yuk) and eating a lot of salads. Increasing your fiber intake is helpful because it moves things along - the less time food spends inside you the less of it your body can store it as evil fat. ;)
I do more sit-ups than anyone I know and the only thing it has done for me is make the layer of muscle under my fat belly really hard. :D Consistant, aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes is the way - running is so effective because it is so inefficent - meaning that you can't coast when you are running - there's no cheating or resting - you work the whole time you are doing it. You have to work up to it so you don't risk injury - but the rewards are there. Start slowly - walk and run equal amounts even if you don't feel winded - remember that your body may not be used to (or ready for) all those impacts. The impacts will strengthen the bones, but too many too fast will give you shin splints and keep you from other helpful exercises.
Paitence grasshopper...:p I have lost 25 lbs with this advice. Oh yeah ....stay away from the beer!:rolleyes:

zibbler

Monkey
Atkins is on the right track, albiet a bit extreme. If you cut out all refined carbs and eat a decent amount of protein, you'll lose weight. Make sure you eat quality carbs and lots of fresh veggies. I think the Zone diet is a good ratio of protein, carbs and fat at 40-30-30 (40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein). Just make sure they're quality foods and not junk. Oh yeah. Cutting out any alcohol will make a big difference too if you drink. I used a less radical version of the Atkins diet and lost ~20 lbs.