Quantcast

I ate McDonald's for lunch yesterday...

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Tenchiro said:
I think you are underestimating the quality of commercial food and and overstating the benefits of "natural" products.

I'm not overstating anything, and there is really nothing to underestimate in regards to commercial food. Most of the crap you buy from your average grocery store is completely messed with. Have you ever heard of GMO's before, do some homework on this type of stuff, no actually do a few years worth of research on the ingredient lists you may stare at, only being able to recognize or understand maybe one or two items on, while you’re shopping at your crap store. I think your stance will be much different!

Remember, these types of fvcked ingredients have only been around for about 50 years, they coexist, almost exactly, with how long this country has begun to become very diseased, fat, and sick.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Double Bacon Whopper :drool:

I wonder why the heck people get so pissy about fast food? How is a big mac any worse than some burger you fry up in the back yard? Its just meat (or some filler too) on bread. Why does it matter where you buy it?
I saw my doctor yesterday.

He's giving me 6 months to get my cholesterol down or I need to go on medication.

I've been eating like total crap lately, grabbing the occasional fast food when I'm on the run or just eating chicken and rice, etc.

The burger joints are off my list for good.

One thing he warned me about too - chicken and shrimp are a huge no-no. That came as a surprise.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
3D. said:
Remember, these types of fvcked ingredients have only been around for about 50 years, they coexist, almost exactly, with how long this country has begun to become very diseased, fat, and sick.
My opinion is that you become fat because you eat more calories than you burn. Simple as that.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
SkaredShtles said:
I don't doubt that. There has to be a market for decent food served reasonably quickly.
There is a market, it is called "fast casual" in the MBA world.

I'll ignore that chipotle blows comment.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
3D. said:
I'm not overstating anything, and there is really nothing to underestimate in regards to commercial food. Most of the crap you buy from your average grocery store is completely messed with. <snip a bunch of hippyspeak>
Processed food sucks.

I'm not afraid of produce and meat at my grocery.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
jvp108 said:
My opinion is that you become fat because you eat more calories than you burn. Simple as that.
I agree with that fully, but do some reading about trans-fatty acids, you'll see that there's a little more to it.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
SkaredShtles said:
Processed food sucks.

I'm not afraid of produce and meat at my grocery.
I'm the furthest thing from a hippie... and how can you be afraid these things when your not aware of them?

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
SkaredShtles said:
It does blow. Their tortillas are like rubber.

If you want good "fast casual" Mex-type stuff go to Little Anita's. :)

The next time i see one of their 8 stores I'll try it.

The only thing Albuquerque has to offer are hot air balloons.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
3D. said:
I'm not overstating anything, and there is really nothing to underestimate in regards to commercial food. Most of the crap you buy from your average grocery store is completely messed with. Have you ever heard of GMO's before, do some homework on this type of stuff, no actually do a few years worth of research on the ingredient lists you may stare at, only being able to recognize or understand maybe one or two items on, while you&#8217;re shopping at your crap store. I think your stance will be much different!

The dutch began genetically modifying foods hundreds of years ago through methods such as selective breeding and cross pollenation. It is the primary reason that we have such a large selection of produce available. Cabbage, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts were all develeoped from the same plant in this manner (for example).

Modern GMO foods for the most part are developed to produce higher yields, and be more disease and pest resistant. Both of which reduce the costs associated in production and make them ideal for poor or developing countries.

For a good example look into what Norman Borlaug did for wheat production in India & Pakistan. He is credited for saving a something like a billion people from starvation with his work.

I do agree however that some food products contain way to many chemicals and preservatives, that is why I try to stick to foods where I can pronounce the ingredient list.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Tenchiro said:
The dutch began genetically modifying foods hundreds of years ago through methods such as selective breeding and cross pollenation. It is the primary reason that we have such a large selection of produce available. Cabbage, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts were all develeoped from the same plant in this manner (for example).

Modern GMO foods for the most part are developed to produce higher yields, and be more disease and pest resistant. Both of which reduce the costs associated in production and make them ideal for poor or developing countries.

For a good example look into what Normal Borlaug did for wheat production in India & Pakistan. He is credited for saving a something like a billion people from starvation with his work.

I do agree however that some food products contain way to many chemicals and preservatives, that is why I try to stick to foods where I can pronounce the ingredient list.

GMO's have had some success, I agree. But other than the related unknown long term health hazards with them (which are many), there is one major problem. Genetically modified seeds are Patented by huge food corporations. So when they are bought and planted by third world nations, the plants and their seeds can not be regenerated, without paying large royalties to the companies that own the patents. Further more, the exclusive use of GMO plants will eventually make these countrys’ native plant forms extinct.

The problem list with GMO’s just goes on and on, why do you think they are illegal in most of Europe?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How hard is it to screw up mexican food. Went to a local joint Wednesday and had the worst burrito ever. So bland, should be a crime. I'm not a big fan of hot food but I think there salsa consisted of diced tomatoes and a twist of lime, tomato is not a spice.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
N8 said:
Excellent!

You won't be staying then???

:)
I would love to live in santa fe if i was old and had 10 million in the bank. NM is pretty, esp. the aspens in the fall.

Oh yeah, and there are sweet weapons labs. I know because I've been.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jvp108 said:
I would love to live in santa fe if i was old and had 10 million in the bank. NM is pretty, esp. the aspens in the fall.

Oh yeah, and there are sweet weapons labs. I know because I've been.

oh wow.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
3D. said:
GMO's have had some success, I agree. But other than the related unknown long term health hazards with them (which are many), there is one major problem. Genetically modified seeds are Patented by huge food corporations. So when they are bought and planted by third world nations, the plants and their seeds can not be regenerated, without paying large royalties to the companies that own the patents. Further more, the exclusive use of GMO plants will eventually make these countrys’ native plant forms extinct.

The problem list with GMO’s just goes on and on, why do you think they are illegal in most of Europe?
The business/political end of the GMO debate I won't comment on, but like I said almost every single piece of produce we have available has been genetically modified, by Europeans even.

As far as GMO plants causing the extinction of native species, I doubt that is really the case. Most food crops in the world have been introduced from other places anyways. Potatos for example originated in South America and were then introduced to Europe.

Even if a native crop were in danger of being removed/replaced from the local ecosystem, it is estimated that 99% of all living species are already extinct and were so long before human intervention.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Tenchiro said:
Here as in 1st Hill in Seattle. Very little fast food within walking distance. Mcdonalds, Subway and Quiznos. Although there are 5 places to get coffee and over half are Starbucks. :rolleyes:
I feel Tenchiro's pain. The only BK I can think of is in Rainier Valley, and there are no DQ's in Seattle. There is a Quizno's on 45th, a Wendey's on 15th West, a Subway on campus, and a Jack in the Box in Ballard, but fast food in Seattle is surprisingly scarce.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jvp108 said:
true, but what you eat matters, too. everyone knows that saturated fat raises your bad (LDL) cholesterol, and that high levels of LDL are linked with high rates of death from heart attacks and such, no? well, trans-fatty acids act much like saturated fat...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Westy said:
How hard is it to screw up mexican food
Well where I live Mexican's do it all the time, mainly at Taco Bell (it's not really Mexican food). But it can be done :)

There's a lot of mexican fast food places here (Rudy's, Baja Fresh, Taco Bell, El Pollo Loco, Del Taco) to name a few and on a consistant basis most of their food is blah. Baja Fresh is probably better out of them because their salsa bar isn't the greatest but atleast their guac is decent.

Nothing beats an authentic place though. And even here in town where they are everywhere only a few get my thumbs up. If they don't have a good salsa bar OR a good menu mexican food can be butchered pretty bad. That's probably why I frequent the same place because it's consistant. Never yet had a bad meal (2+ years running once a week) :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Mmmmm, mexican food. Wait, I'm in Virginia. We don't have that here. Guess it's time for McDonalds today. (Had Five Guys on Sunday)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Tenchiro said:
\

Heh come to Seattle, and you will find out.
i ate at the little mexican food place in whistler, it wasnt 'bad' it just wasnt really mexican food. It was kind of like the owner stayed at a holiday inn exress the night before.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I'm pretty sure that would taste better than McD's stuff. :)
I fuggin' hope so. Food for some is merely fuel ($hitty fuel for BS) & a hedonistic pleasure for others (there is no pleasure in $hit).