Quantcast

I can haz Bloodclotz....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I found out a couple of years ago that I had a factor five blood clotting mutation that I had genetically inherited from my father. Last night I was experiencing a lot of pain in my right leg. I figured that I may have torn something in my right leg so I scheduled a doctor's appointment first thing this morning. Right at the office my primary physician was able to rule out an acl tear, but had made a referral for me to have an ultrasound done on my right leg because of the mutation and for an orthopedic surgeon. Wound up having to cancel the orthopedic appointment because sure enough they found a large blood clot in my right leg came close to getting admitted to the hospital. But an hour later, after they had gotten done with some bloodwork they let me go home.

Good news is that it was caught before it passed because it could have killed me. Bad news, I'm on blood thinners for the rest of my life.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Non alcoholic beer is pretty good. Glad to hear you are getting good treatment and are in good health everything taken into consideration.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
so Coumadin for life.....
Man fvck that stuff. :mad: Maybe you can get a different dosage or something, but when I was taking that crap my doc wouldn't allow me to do anything I considered even remotely fun. No Bikes, booze, rock climbing, etc. I scratched myself while changing the oil in the Jeep and I thought I was going to bleed to death, it just would not stop.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Means that I can no longer drink.
That sucks... But think of the upside to this: 1) more money for bikes, 2) You'll probably lose a bunch of weight.

If you are going to the bar, cranberry-soda. It has the look of an alcoholic bev, without the booze. I try to do it when I am out with clients and want to keep a clear head.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Bars are overrated anyway.

Good thing you went to the doc....I woulda' ignored that **** until it killed me.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Man fvck that stuff. :mad: Maybe you can get a different dosage or something, but when I was taking that crap my doc wouldn't allow me to do anything I considered even remotely fun. No Bikes, booze, rock climbing, etc. I scratched myself while changing the oil in the Jeep and I thought I was going to bleed to death, it just would not stop.
No bikes/booze/rock climbing/anything fun and live till I'm 90, or lead a fun and exciting life but only live another 5-10 years?

I know which option I'd choose....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Excessive use of alcohol is also known to affect the metabolism of warfarin and can elevate the INR.[50] Patients are often cautioned against the excessive use of alcohol while taking warfarin
via wikipedia.

Doctors often tell people not to drink at all when on certain meds as a lot of meat-bags are too stupid to moderate. If it is an issue for you and you can moderate, you can probably talk to you doctor and conclude that moderate amounts of anything will be fine.

<--I'm not a doctor, this post is for entertainment purposes only.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Keep an eye on that... I have a friend whose wife has a similar clotting disorder. She's on blood thinners as well. Just recently she started getting very confused with elementary tasks. Se went to the hospital recently and found out that her blood had really thickened a lot even while on the thinners. They have her blood straightened out now, but her confusion remains. Not sure how long it will last but my buddy has to leave someone at the house to babysit her while he is gone.

At first they thought she had had a stroke, but that has been ruled out (she's in her early 30s). Basically they think that she wasn't getting enough blood to the brain, no one knows for how long.

Anyway, I feel for my buddy and his family... she only forgot to get her blood monitored for about a month (typically gets checked every 2 weeks) and this was the outcome.

EDIT: Update... apparently she is doing a lot better. Still not full back to normal, but she's back to her daily routine... work, etc. It's been about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
via wikipedia.

Doctors often tell people not to drink at all when on certain meds as a lot of meat-bags are too stupid to moderate. If it is an issue for you and you can moderate, you can probably talk to you doctor and conclude that moderate amounts of anything will be fine.

<--I'm not a doctor, this post is for entertainment purposes only.
I'm not supposed to drink with my Epi drugs, as it over taxes my liver. I just make a notable point of not drinking +/- 2 hours of taking my drugs, as when I do I get really loopy.
Dr said it should be fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not supposed to drink with my Epi drugs, as it over taxes my liver. I just make a notable point of not drinking +/- 2 hours of taking my drugs, as when I do I get really loopy.
Dr said it should be fine.

Not supposed to drink with my arthritis meds for the same reason. I take the meds once a week, they take a day or two to metabolize. I wait 3 days before imbibing and keep overall intake to a reasonable level. From the research I have done I would need to drink twice as much to even have the slightest increased risk of liver damage. My liver function tests have always been spot on, good thing I did all that 'training' in college.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Means that I can no longer drink.
That sucks... But think of the upside to this: 1) more money for bikes, 2) You'll probably lose a bunch of weight.
I had to give it up myself and it's been a very positive experience overall. I've lost about 50 pounds of blubber and have been getting my fitness back.

Check the blood pressure :

Beer just makes you fat and stupid anyway.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
My wife has a factor 5 leiden mutation, and got blood clots after a long flight back from the Tetons about 8 years ago. She was only on cumadin for 6 months, and now only has to take 80mg aspirin maint dose. Pregnancy was a pita for her, special meds etc, but all 3 of our kids were healthy 8lb newborns. when we take long car trips or plane trips, she is required to regularly stretch legs, walk around etc, to keep blood flowing. Oh, also, she still consumes alcohol (beer/wine), and has since she got off the cumadin.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I too have Factor 5, but Heterozygous so I'm not at as great a risk. They found this out after I had a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my calf after a long mountain bikiing road trip a couple years ago. I was on coumadin for 1 year and nothing now. The drinking thing is a balancing act. I still drank but had to keep it to around 3 drinks and eat a salad (vitamin K) to balance it out.

Take care of yourself, I have been through the full cycle of giving myself injections in my stomach:eek:, to wearing compression stalkings, to freaking out that the clot would break free and kill me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.