Quantcast

I did something stupid.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Warning: Lots of camera and computer terms contained within.

On the 4th of July, there was an epic BBQ at my house. I was hammered for approximately 12 hours, and 80 people showed up to join in the festivities. Myself and my roomie were running around with my camera (a digital SLR), taking lots and lots of pictures. She was shooting in automatic mode, which defaults to write in .JPG files. I was shooting in manual, defaults to .RAW files.

Anyway, many hundreds of pictures were taken (I'm going to guess around 600). It also just so happens, that in the midst of my horrendous still-drunk hangover the next day, I installed Windoze Vista on my computer, thereby wiping out all imaging programs I had, requiring a reinstall. Not really paying much attention to my state of life in general, I immediately installed Adobe Lightroom, my photo importing and publishing tool of choice, solely so I could upload the party pictures people were hankering for. Once again, not paying attention, I saw that Lightroom said there were 300 images to import. I thought this to be a low number, but thought nothing of it. Immediately following importing them, I browsed through a few and reminisced on how awful they were, and how I couldn't remember taking any of them. I then proceeded to throw up for the remainder of the day, and postponed editing the craptastic images indefinitely.

Fast-forward to today. I have a few camera and car related items I need to jettison onto unsuspecting consumers online, so I clear a space on my desk, get some lights onto my shooting spot, clean the crap to sell (a lens, strobe, and some pistons, FWIW), and break out my camera. On instinct I immediately format the flash card in the camera (helps to keep from confusing importing software and filesystems and such), as I've already imported everything, right?

Teh wrongz.

I finish up my picture-taking, plug the card into my computer, and discover I have only 5 images to import, out of about 75. The realization of my idiocy dawns on me. While shooting the lot of goods to pawn, I switched to .RAW and .JPG shooting near the end instead of only .RAW, realizing all I was going to do to the images was resize and post up on the web (.RAW requires you to post process and convert to .JPG). In my haste to install Lightroom and process the crappy party pictures, I neglected to install the rest of Adobe CS3, which includes Adobe Camera RAW, the tool Lightroom uses to import .RAW files. Without it, Lightroom can't "see" the .RAW files on the card, and ignores them. It becomes apparent that I've successfully nuked all of the images I took at the party, approximately 300, and that the all crappy images on my computer are from my roomie's excited finger (she'd never taken pictures with an SLR before). I proceeded to cut myself a little and rant on the internets about my own mental incapacity.

I apologize for my inane novel-like web diarrhea and vacuous drivel. Writing is how I vent. Ban me now. :nopity:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There are numerous threads in the Tech forum about recovering formatted memory cards...
I was planning on it once I got the current .RAWs off.

How the hell do I see a camera in explorer in Vista? 'Cause I'm not, and now my card reader isn't working.

edit: My entire rant is for naught. I think the card is fvcked. For some reason, it's doing all right with .JPGs, but I can't pull the .RAWs off of it or use it in a card reader. The .RAWs show up in camera, however. I have a smaller card that isn't having the same issues.

Last edited: