Quantcast

I didn't do too good.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
In my first race ever this morning, I finished 15th out of 16 in the Beginner Men's 30-39 category. What a humbling experience the race was. I'm a little discouraged by where I placed. Climbing is not my stong point, and this race was pretty much ALL climbing. Physically, it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Oh well. I tried it, and I'll try it again next week (a flatter, more technical course :thumb: ). I spoke to some of the "regulars" on the circuit, and they said today's race was the hardest one of the season. At least I finished it. :rolleyes:

MBC raced too (I am very proud of her!!). I'll let her post how she did.

R

RideMonkey

Two things to remember:

1. By competing you are separating your self from the masses that are generally afraid to step up and do something that is very difficult. Be proud that you made the jump and that you finished.

2. NOTHING makes you better at racing than racing. Keep at it and you will see improvement!

Congrats on making the leap!

:monkey:

Want the good news or the bad?

The good: I finished and I finished 3rd - so I got swag!

The bad: There were only 4 women in my class - the 4th was my cousin and the only reason I beat her is because on the 2nd lap, she shredded her derailleur. I finished 25 minutes behind the leader - in 2 laps, each lap was about 3.1 miles.

It sucked. I was not expecting the first 1.5 miles to go straight up. I walked - as did all the women I saw - but I just got too slowed down. Oh, and then I stopped to rest.

I guess I'd try a different course - but next week I'm going away.

I'm so tired now. :cool:

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by RideMonkey
Two things to remember:

1. By competing you are separating your self from the masses that are generally afraid to step up and do something that is very difficult. Be proud that you made the jump and that you finished.

2. NOTHING makes you better at racing than racing. Keep at it and you will see improvement!

Congrats on making the leap!

:monkey:
I couldn't have said it better myself! Give yourselves some credit here. Remember my motto -- "Winning isn't always finishing first. Sometimes winning is just finishing." I'm still very proud of both of you:D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Congratulations to the both of you!

Well my race wasn’t much better. This course is the rockiest course I have ever ridden. The trail is only 8 miles and I don’t even think I made it 3 miles before my back started hurting really bad it got so bad I actually had to get off and walk some of the last climb because I couldn’t take the beating anymore :o
I didn’t have any problem on the pre ride but race pace is just brutal. Luckily this was just a practice race. I gave up trying to win at about 2 miles left in the race so I came in last in my class.
Stuff:
I was fourth in the race 30 –39, second in my cat 30 – 34 and DFL all in the same race.
My time was actually 3 minutes better than last year. (This was my first race) Although it the creeks weren’t as full last year as they are this year the course was more slippery. I am contemplation not racing this one because I got beat all to hell. We’ll see.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Seeing as this is somewhat of a "race horror" story thread ;) ......

Had a DH race today and got my butt whooped not only by the competition, but the course as well.

Hard crash during a practice run that lucky me, my dad got to see ("No really Dad, we're safe when we do this")....small puncture wound in the left leg, bruises, inprint of body armor on left forearm

Crashed on some rocks during race run #1.....damn brakes always screwing things up!

Went a** over end and ate dirt, literally, in race run #2 and then got chain suck.....note to self "Do not run in biggest cog during DH races anymore."

So I took 3rd out of 3 :p

But, still smiling (although moving slowly) and hey, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? :D

Mitzel123

Crash Test Dummy
Feb 9, 2002
Originally posted by Velocity Girl

Had a DH race today and got my butt whooped not only by the competition, but the course as well.

Hard crash during a practice run that lucky me, my dad got to see ("No really Dad, we're safe when we do this")....small puncture wound in the left leg, bruises, inprint of body armor on left forearm

Crashed on some rocks during race run #1.....damn brakes always screwing things up!

Went a** over end and ate dirt, literally, in race run #2 and then got chain suck.....note to self "Do not run in biggest cog during DH races anymore."

So I took 3rd out of 3 :p

But, still smiling (although moving slowly) and hey, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? :D
they went to a two run format? why? and how did BE do?

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Originally posted by Velocity Girl

Sounds like my dh from sat. I only got 2 practice runs on this course and took a really hard crash at some weird shaped rock drop kinda thing during my race run and knocked my breath out! I laid in the middle of the trail for I don't know how long until I could breathe again and finished out my run. I finished 4th out of 6 starters but 2 of them dnf'ed. Oh well...I had a good time anyway :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by aragorn

Yea but did you have fun? That's what it's all about.

Also NOTHING WILL GET YOU IN SHAPE BETTER THAN RACING!!

Keep on racing and you will do fine!
Actually, I did have fun. :) My legs are killing me today.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, monkeys!! All things considered, I guess I could have done worse. In my 2nd year of MTB, what could I have expected, right? I really do feel like I accomplished something. :)

Heh heh....MBC podiumed in her first race. :D

Tony, P-O, VG, sorry about the bad luck!! :eek:

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Want the good news or the bad?

The good: I finished and I finished 3rd - so I got swag!

The bad: There were only 4 women in my class
Uh oh - guess you're gonna hafta change your location now:D

BTW, don't diminish your 3rd place - that's an achievement to be proud of:)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Thanks b. I forgot to mention that my actual goal was just to keep the rubber side down. (Meaning this is the first race sense i ****ed up my shoulder in that fall)
The only "incident " was going down a really rocky hill. Me and my bike are just being thrown around like a rag doll, people in f/s were bombing, and the guy in front looses his line. I'm watching trying to miss him but i miss judge his actions and slide off the trail (still upright on the bike though so no crash) I had no OTB's so i accomplished my goal for the weekend.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Actually, I did have fun. :) My legs are killing me today.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, monkeys!! All things considered, I guess I could have done worse. In my 2nd year of MTB, what could I have expected, right? I really do feel like I accomplished something. :)

Heh heh....MBC podiumed in her first race. :D

Tony, P-O, VG, sorry about the bad luck!! :eek:
Hey at least you didnt get lost:rolleyes: :p

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Originally posted by Mitzel123

they went to a two run format? why? and how did BE do?
Experts and above ran two runs...and let me tell ya, I would've been quite content with just one :eek: (having to go thru the race jitters twice in one day is so damn nerve racking). Bald Eagle finished 4th in Sport....no more sandbagging for him :D And Rhino took 1st - woo-hooo!!!!

Z

Zonic Man

Doesn't matter.

I echo what RM said and Acadian seconded.

You will only get better, you and MBC.

My first race, I got 11th out of 22. Recently, I've got a bunch of top 5s in XC....it just comes from the experience of racing.

Suzy got 8th out of 11 in her first race...then went on to absolutely CRUSH every other girl in her beginner class in her next two races. Don't trip....you'll get MUCH better, I promise.

Keep racing. It's good fun!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Just saw this thread, way to go everyone! You should all pat yourselves on the back - racing is hard. MBC - I'm so glad you gave it a try!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi
Just saw this thread, way to go everyone! You should all pat yourselves on the back - racing is hard. MBC - I'm so glad you gave it a try!
Welcome Back Heidi. So maybe I missed a post but how did you do?? Feeling better?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
In my first race ever this morning, I finished 15th out of 16 in the Beginner Men's 30-39 category. What a humbling experience the race was. I'm a little discouraged by where I placed. Climbing is not my stong point, and this race was pretty much ALL climbing. Physically, it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Oh well. I tried it, and I'll try it again next week (a flatter, more technical course :thumb: ). I spoke to some of the "regulars" on the circuit, and they said today's race was the hardest one of the season. At least I finished it. :rolleyes:

MBC raced too (I am very proud of her!!). I'll let her post how she did.
I had my first race at the beginning of the year and finished 2 from last i was a little discouraged but the next race i finished 3rd than 2nd and than a horrible race that i didn't even finish. I wonder what will happen next race maybe 1st!

It takes a while to get used to racing i'm still not used to it. My first race i'd litteraly pull over to let people pass me if they said passing. Now i'm the one passing. i think as long as you want to win and believe you will win you'll just get better and better.

Aug 3, 2002
Jacksonville:Florida
That counts for a lot..and you were not a sandbagger (obviously).
I finished 3rd in my class and 2nd from last in a field of like 70 (67 i think) and only 8 were women. The first part of the race was a 2+ mile climb up. Oh well. I'll do better next time. I need to ride technical tracks more often
So KUDOS to you baboon
-"nothing ventured; nothing gained"
Go for the gain!!!!!