Quantcast

I done done it!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Don't know how many of you saw my posts about my stolen Ellsworth Isis, but it was stolen out of my garage 2 weeks ago.

I just got off the phone with a bike shop here, and my new '05 Yeti 575 will be ready to pick up tomorrow! I would have it right now except that I couldn't afford the Race Disc version, so I went with the Enduro Disc version, but didn't want the Fox Vanilla fork. We haggled a bit and for a $250 upcharge, they're putting on a Talas. I decided to go with an '05 because it comes in anodized black. The "bling" color of the '04's is cool, but nothing tops anodized black. Its like the royal flush of moutain bike finishes...

I'm pretty freakin psyched! I think I'm actually more excited about this bike than my Ells.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nice it's not too often there is reward for being victimized from a crime.

The talas is a nice forx, i see they've added a pinch more of travel to em this year as well.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
Congrats man. Sucks to have your bike stolen, but it sounds like you've made out pretty well with the replacement.
Yeah, like I said, I'm more stoked about the 575 than I was about my Ells. The only downer is I'm not too keen on some of the components (shifters, wheelset), but these are things that can be upgraded. Its the frame I'm really excited about.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
Yeah, like I said, I'm more stoked about the 575 than I was about my Ells. The only downer is I'm not too keen on some of the components (shifters, wheelset), but these are things that can be upgraded. Its the frame I'm really excited about.
Did you consider buying the frame and building it yourself? The shifters are relatively cheap to swap out... but the wheelset could be a pricey upgrade. Yeti doesn't have the 05 info on their site yet... what's the enduro build consist of? Or is that build offered through the shop where you bought it?

J

JRB

Where'd you buy it??? I hear Wheat Ridge is having quite the sale this weekend.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
Did you consider buying the frame and building it yourself? The shifters are relatively cheap to swap out... but the wheelset could be a pricey upgrade. Yeti doesn't have the 05 info on their site yet... what's the enduro build consist of? Or is that build offered through the shop where you bought it?
I thought about it, but ithe bottom line is that I want my bike NOW :D Its been almost 2 months since I've ridden and my riding buddies are doing a killer epic on sunday and I really want to join them. The season's closing fast and I'm dying to get in at least a few more rides before I break out the snowboard.

I already know the wheelset I'm going to upgrade to. $334 from Mike at http://www.oddsandendos.com for Velocity VXC rims laced to WTB Lazer Lite Disc hubs. That's what I had on my Ells and they were super light (1650 g for the set) and they were still true after 1.5 years of hard xc riding. I'll buy em again in a heartbeat.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
loco-gringo said:
Where'd you buy it??? I hear Wheat Ridge is having quite the sale this weekend.
Wheatridge is where I bought it. I doubt they'll put any '05s on sale, considering the popularity of this bike.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:
Wheatridge is where I bought it. I doubt they'll put any '05s on sale, considering the popularity of this bike.

I'm stupid. You did say 05. You should go give Anthony a reach around and see what he'll do for you. :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
And here she is! Just picked her up. For an XC guy, the 2.35's are HUGE! I think I could drop a pound off her by simply getting new tires/tubes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
And here she is! Just picked her up. For an XC guy, the 2.35's are HUGE! I think I could drop a pound off her by simply getting new tires/tubes.

I recently got 2.35 Zmax's for the front of my NRS and I have to say that they're pretty nice when the going gets sketchy. Still have 2.1 in the rear, though.

-S.S.-

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
pixelninja said:

Wow, that is a smooth looking ride. I would definitely pick a 575 over any model Ellsworth. That color looks really good; goes well with the fork.

What kind of tires and hubs are on there?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
JRogers said:
What kind of tires and hubs are on there?
The tires are Maxxis Larson TT's. Depending on which version they are (not sure) I could potentially drop over 2.5 lbs by switching to IRC Mythos 2.1 :eek:

The front wheel is a Mavic 223 (I think) laced to a Yeti ARC hub. The rear is the same rim laced to a Deore hub. If I can drop as much weight as I think I can by simply switching tires/tubes, I may keep this wheelset. If I can't, I may talk to Mike G about getting a lighter set.

I didn't have much time to check it out thoroughly. I was running late so I basically picked it up, took a pic then raced back to work. I'll look it over tonight and try to remember to list out the build.