Quantcast

I feel dirty.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok so FINALLY, I convinced my future father inlaw to buy a smaller road bike frame. I have NO idea how to find the correct size for him as I'm not a road biker.

He's like 5'6"-5'8", I will eventually be taking him to a bike shop but I wanted to at least get a feel for the sizing before I walk into the shop with him.

Also he wants to go to the newer style shifters/brake lever combo because they are currently on his downtube.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
5'8", 30" inseam and I ride a 55. I need a hair more height out of my frame, but no more length. So take that for what it's worth.

BTW, my LBS (who I generally trust) said that the first rule of thumb is to stand over the bike... you should have about 1-2" of clearance between you and the toptube.

BTW #2... the newers style shifters are on Tiagra stuff and up for Shimano... not sure about Campy/Sram.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
2'8", 30" inseam and I ride a 55. I need a hair more height out of my frame, but no more length. So take that for what it's worth.

BTW, my LBS (who I generally trust) said that the first rule of thumb is to stand over the bike... you should have about 1-2" of clearance between you and the toptube.

BTW #2... the newers style shifters are on Tiagra stuff and up for Shimano... not sure about Campy/Sram.
any good online used forums to look for that stuff?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Get professionally sized. Any bike store wanting to sell you a bike will do it for free. I'm 6'1" with a 31 inch inseam, and ride a 55cm. Also note that different brands of bikes will have different frame geometrys as well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
rooftest said:
Get professionally sized. Any bike store wanting to sell you a bike will do it for free. I'm 6'1" with a 31 inch inseam, and ride a 55cm. Also note that different brands of bikes will have different frame geometrys as well.
He wants to spend like $100 on a new frame. Believe me anything would be an improvement over what he rides now. Now I need to see if I can do it for him.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
He wants to spend like $100 on a new frame. Believe me anything would be an improvement over what he rides now. Now I need to see if I can do it for him.
2 words for ya... Wal Mart.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
100 bucks for a used road bike frame - that's gonna be tough tough tough. Unless you get something old and used.

And what about that whole shifter issue??

I'm confused as to what you are looking to buy Stosh.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
100 bucks for a used road bike frame - that's gonna be tough tough tough. Unless you get something old and used.

And what about that whole shifter issue??

I'm confused as to what you are looking to buy Stosh.
I'm looking for a frame for my Fiancee's father.

He rides like maybe 10times a summer. His current OLD cannondale is to big for him.
He would like to upgrade the frame and the shifters/brakes. I was hoping to get him a frame for under $150 or at least do the whole setup for $200. Is that even remotely possible?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It might be possible via ebay or craigslist.com - also scour your weekend tag sales. YOu might be able to find a great complete bike for even less!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
stosh said:
I'm looking for a frame for my Fiancee's father.

He rides like maybe 10times a summer. His current OLD cannondale is to big for him.
He would like to upgrade the frame and the shifters/brakes. I was hoping to get him a frame for under $150 or at least do the whole setup for $200. Is that even remotely possible?
Unpossible.

Too bad for you that your future father is law is such a tightwad...

Hopefully he has a job and won't be moving in. :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Found this little guide in the Rivendell catalog:

Taller than 6'3" -- PBH* minus 27 to 29cm
5'11" to 6'3" -- PBH* minus 26 to 27cm
5'8" to 5'11" -- PBH* minus 25 to 26 cm
up to 5'8" -- PBH* minus 24 to 25 cm

*PBH = Pubic Bone Height (PBH is NOT equal to your pants inseam.)

How to measure your pubic bone height. With your bare feet ten to twelve inches apart, measure from the floor up to your pubic bone. Hook a metal tape through a thin, hardcover book or a record album cover, and push up until you smash into the bone. Have a friend take the reading on the floor. This distance minus an inch (25.4mm) is nominally the highest top tube you shoud have. Sole thickness affects it, too.

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_framesize.html