Quantcast

I found a workout plan I may try, but I wanted to see what people thought.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Days 1,3,5
  • 5 minute warm-up
  • 5 minutes of stretching
  • 40 minutes of cardiovascular activity at 65%-75% of predicted maximum heart rate**
  • 5 minutes cool down
2 sets of 8-12 repetitions:
  • Leg extension
  • Leg curl
  • Chest Press
  • Shoulder Press
  • Seated row
  • Bicep curl
  • Tricep extension
Days 2,7
  • 5 minute warm-up
  • 5 minutes of stretching
  • 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity at 65%-75% of predicted maximum heart rate**
3 sets of 8-12 repetitions:
  • Abdominal crunch
Days 4,6
  • Rest

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Okay, basically, strength training works way better when it is done on a different day than cardio, and if you absolutely must do them on the same day, do cardio second.
You are really neglecting the core and important muscles. If i were your trainer, i would set it up like this:

day 1, mon
1)Wide stance goodmorning 2 sets, 12 reps, keep a hard arch,keep good form
2)45 degree back extensions, 3-4 sets 8-12 reps, goal is to be able to handle weight on these, push toes into plate, and squeeze your butt cheeks together
3)abdominal movement: could be pulldown abs, wide stance situps, hanging leg raises, sit ups on a swiss ball, oblique crunches

day 2: cardio this can be walking for 20-30 minutes, or easy bike ride, or any light cardio, dont make it too hard

day 3 weds
1)bench press 3-4 sets 6-8 reps keep elbows at 45 degree angle to body, maintain perfect form
2)upper back work 4 sets 8-12 reps do chest supported rows, pulldowns, pullups, dumbell rows, bent over rows
3)shoulder work 2 sets 8-12 reps, side laterals, shoulder presses (these mess my shoulders up, so be careful),
4)more abs

day 4 same as day 2, more cardio keep it relatively easy, will help with recovery and making your heart work better

day 5 friday
1)squats 2-3 sets 8-12 reps, not too heavy, take them deep, use good form, and a wider stance
2)pullthroughs 3-4 sets 12 reps, strict form, arched back, medium weight
3) more abs

day 6: CHILL (i suppose if you wanted to have sunday as your chill day, you could just move every day forward one ie day 7 becomes happens on monday, day 1 happens on tuesday)

day 7 sunday
1)Dumbell bench 2-3 sets 10-12 reps do incline ,decline or flat, alternate every couple of weeks, use different grips ie palms facing, elbows wide, and elbows tucked
2)Pushdowns: pick a weight and do 100 reps
3)internal and external rotations 3 sets 15 reps keep it light
4)more abs

this is what i would do, the exercises you mentioned ARE NOT going to help build a solid base, large, compound exercises are what you are looking for, they build strength, condition your whole body, and when done with relatively short rest periods 30-90 seconds between sets and exercises, will whip your butt into shape. After a few months of this, i would start getting into heavier weights, and add a few more exercises. the key in the first few months is to stress ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FORM, that way, you will not get injured, and you will not have to correct incorrectly learned exercises.
If you have any questions let me know

Thats a good workout, and I like the way weights are included. One thing that can make up for time you dont have to do is the pushup. I have a paticular set I do on days I cant get to the gym. Start off in the pushup postion, and do 8 reps. When your done, count to 5 and arch your back for about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, move your arms to the Wider pushup stance and do another 8 reps. Count 5 again, and arch your back. After the 10 seconds again, move your hands close together. They call these close hand (or diamond) pushups. Knock out 5 reps and then drop to your knees. repeat this set about 5 times, and when its done, your should feel it across your chest and arms. Its a great workout if your on the go, or cant make it to the gym.