Quantcast

I got a leaky lever

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Anyone have any experience with Shimano XT-8000 brake levers ? Mine sprung a leak after the last sub freezing ride. Fluid is pooling around the adjustment knob pivot. Is there a seal that can be replaced or am I stuck buying a whole new lever ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone have any experience with Shimano XT-8000 brake levers ? Mine sprung a leak after the last sub freezing ride. Fluid is pooling around the adjustment knob pivot. Is there a seal that can be replaced or am I stuck buying a whole new lever ?
You're buying a new lever.

Good news! I have a brand new right hand one sitting in its box. I don't know if shipping from here would be worthwhile vs buying it and getting free shipping from somewhere else, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, remember when sram had to recall their road disc brakes months after they were first launched because it turns out they didn't work at all in the cold?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I checked, and they were purchased 1/25/16. So close...
I'd still try. Free replacement is free and always better than paying even a dollar for something that most likely shouldn't have failed.

Also if you get covered with warranty for it, you'll get a whole new brake, not just the lever.

If not check out the zee levers. If that fails I'll send you my lever. I paid $65 Canadian pésos so could let it go for cheap. It's been sitting here for a year.