Quantcast

I got Schleyed...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Finally did the Park Oly. Bought the extended play and got worked over. Did No Joke/Duffman/Freight Train 4 times. Just about everything else down low too. QMan was right in front of me and never hesitated at the big GLC his first pass.
Bastard! :)

Ate sh!t in Dirt Merchant though. Big time. But, not as bad as some poor soul on A-Line this afternoon... Bad, bad, deal...

Great weekend for us though...I think my sphincter is finally loosening up enough for a BM...

The Thrill Me Kill Me/Comfortably Numb Loop on Saturday just about did me in though. Killer trail. But, about 10 Skookum Flats in a row... Yeow!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went over the bars at speed on the last table on a-line before the rock garden/fireroad section. :dead: but i'm none the worse for wear amazingly

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
YOu got lucky, I was there last year, some PA(ssylvania that is) kid shattered his ankle after overshooting that one, it's too short!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Nope, the new "gate drop". Rolled into it the first time ever waay too slow to even manual across it and dropped the front wheel right over the board and cartwheeled down the hill. Won't do that again...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Where's the "gate drop"? RU talking about the little ladder at the very top? Please don't be talknig about that tiny thing!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
:drool: :drool: Whistler was so sweet this weekend! Nice and dry..well, majority of it! No Joke was a blast! I also enjoyed Original Sin, Fatcrobat, In Deep, Duff Man, and some others up top... So much fun!!! Oh, can't forget Freight Train!!! :) Then of course my hands and arms were getting really tired, so I stuck to the lower half and did A-Line, Schleyer, and Dirty Merch. The best part...No crashes (knock on wood). The weather was perfect too! Sunny, but not too hot! :thumb: Can't wait to go back for Crankworx weekend!!!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
MUTOLI said:
:drool: :drool: Whistler was so sweet this weekend! Nice and dry..well, majority of it! No Joke was a blast! I also enjoyed Original Sin, Fatcrobat, In Deep, Duff Man, and some others up top... So much fun!!! Oh, can't forget Freight Train!!! :) Then of course my hands and arms were getting really tired, so I stuck to the lower half and did A-Line, Schleyer, and Dirty Merch. The best part...No crashes (knock on wood). The weather was perfect too! Sunny, but not too hot! :thumb: Can't wait to go back for Crankworx weekend!!!
hey there - it was good seeing you guys up there. Glad there weren't no crashes...I think I crashed enough for everyone. I took it very easy after my GLC incident.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Five said:
hey there - it was good seeing you guys up there. Glad there weren't no crashes...I think I crashed enough for everyone. I took it very easy after my GLC incident.
Yeah, that sucked you crashed on the GLC. All I saw was the big cloud of dust...then I saw you get up! Bummer! Glad it didn't end your weekend though!!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Nope it didn't end my weekend - I'll be back up there for Crankworx. I was glad I was able to ride, but still have lots to go before I'm at 100%

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Toshi said:
i went over the bars at speed on the last table on a-line before the rock garden/fireroad section.
I'm guessing that that jump is THE #1 business provider for Bike Patrol/ER, followed closely by the table on upper A-Line, under the chair.
With a close third being first jump in lowest-A-Line. The one with the "Slow" sign.

Glad everyone is no worse for wear.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I always see people down on the jumps near "old school" (the ladder) at the bottom. They either skid out on the wood that is placed before the jump when it is wet and plow into the jump at speed or overshoot the last tabletop to flat...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Borneo said:
Finally did the Park Oly. Bought the extended play and got worked over. Did No Joke/Duffman/Freight Train 4 times. Just about everything else down low too. QMan was right in front of me and never hesitated at the big GLC his first pass.
Bastard! :)

Ate sh!t in Dirt Merchant though. Big time. But, not as bad as some poor soul on A-Line this afternoon... Bad, bad, deal...

Great weekend for us though...I think my sphincter is finally loosening up enough for a BM...

The Thrill Me Kill Me/Comfortably Numb Loop on Saturday just about did me in though. Killer trail. But, about 10 Skookum Flats in a row... Yeow!
Glad it looked that way. :cool:

In the words of Pete Mitchell, "you don't have time to think up there. If you think, you die".

bighitguy

Chimp
Nov 18, 2004
renton
wow, so many locals up there over the weekend, i was up there from thursday to yesterday. glad nobody's to much worse for the wear.

saturday i hit up the extended play and did some nice schleyer, clown shoes, crack addict, detroit rock city, and one other that i dont remember what it was, i was somewhat lost in the maze of double diamonds and just tryin to find some flow. ran a-line to close out the day and totally cleared the last table, it went about like this...

slow through the woods, didnt brake through the little berm or over the little ramp with the "SLOW" sign, landed about half way down the brick path on the landing, wanted to clear the long table and did, figured the builders must have made it ok to hold your speed after that and clear the next one smoothly because there's a good berm, so i didnt brake at all...ended up landing about 5ft past the bottom of the transition on the flat, got way behind the seat, tore my shorts on my tire, hammered my solar plexis ( right below my chest protector ) on the back of my seat, knocked the wind out of me and thought id broken a rib. bent the rear wheel but not so much that it wasnt rideable. had to get off and walk around for a couple minutes before i could go ride off the big glc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, that last table will get you. the secret is to brake check and then hit it from the left to right, as the landing is extended much further out on the right.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
ioscope said:
Where's the "gate drop"? RU talking about the little ladder at the very top? Please don't be talknig about that tiny thing!
Yeah, I think it was that tiny thing. Not a ladder though. There's a board that is backfilled with a little mini gap (3 feet?) and wrecked on the easiest thing in there. I was talking to this guy at the top when the others rolled in and did not look at the line. Never have done it before. First day at the park. Second day on a big bike. So, I rolled in waaay too slow and sorta just flipped over the damn board and slid down the runout on my ass. Bumpty bump over the embedded rocks on the way down. Sitting on the left cheek today. :think: But, I felt pretty good on Schleyer and loved the Long drop on No Joke-Duffman-Freight train-A Line-GLC. Did that one 4 times. I can see why everyone here likes the gravity rush.
If it wasn't just so far away and so damn expensive.... I don't know how the multi-trippers can afford it.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I think I can say I did... :D I think the only trails we didn't do down low were Crack Addict, Clown Shoes, Detroit Rock city, and Joyride.

Just to keep the XC vibe, we did the Kill Me Thrill Me - Comfortably Numb 9 hour door to door slog the next day. Top 5 tech XC trail I've ever done. Helped to have ridden the park the day before for all the steeep drop ins.

What's the height difference between the Shleyer rock drops and the A-Line one? A-line looks waaay higher up.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I know I'm gonna catch some flak for saying this, but I like the Schleyer/Joyride etc. network better than the left trails (DM, Aline)

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Borneo said:
What's the height difference between the Shleyer rock drops and the A-Line one? A-line looks waaay higher up.
Not sure the diff in height, but the Schleyer rock is shorter IMO. The Schleyer rock is one of the many victims of "sanitizing" some of the Park trails. :rolleyes:
Last year it was a bit more challanging.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Great.... I had to sack up for that one.
I normally don't like "dumbing down" trails. But, I guess I benefitted from that one. No way on the A-Line one. Though I saw a few make that one look easy.

Did anyone else hear about teh guy who got really bashed up in a bad way on A-Line yesterday? Or, see the pool of blood the maintenance guys were kicking dirt over? It was supposed to be pretty gruesome. A couple guys I know were right behind him and thought he might not live.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
I made it up for the first time this season. Loved the conditions. I didn't get a super ton of riding in since I was up there with the fam but I did get to ride friday during the day and I got a little evening session on Saturday for extended play. My trail(s) pick for the super variety trip down the hill is: Freight Train>Original Sin>In Deep>Freight Train>Angry Pirate>A Line>Bone Yard :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
ioscope said:
I know I'm gonna catch some flak for saying this, but I like the Schleyer/Joyride etc. network better than the left trails (DM, Aline)
Wont catch flak from me. I prefer the natural stuff. DM to lower A-line is fun though, but the more techy stuff rulez..

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You can roll the a-line drop. Stay right, brisk walking speed, let go of your brakes at the top. I like this line because the exit speed is obscene and the left hand berm that you land in is fun to rail.

Glad all you newbies had fun. I finally got a good solid weekend on my new bike and it was worth every penny. I finally cashed in my karma after 5 seasons of whistler with zero flats. :(

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
toughguymagee said:
GB and I went up there this weekend. It was her first time riding DH so we hit all of the fun blue runs. GB did great and we are now in the market to get her a DH bike! :)

Met Toshi and enjoyed the day.
Hey! That's cool she had a good time :) I wondering how long it was going to take her to make the move!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Toshi said:
yeah, that last table will get you. the secret is to brake check and then hit it from the left to right, as the landing is extended much further out on the right.
Oooohh, I see... I usually don't hit that berm, brake check, and go from left to right..... :think:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Borneo said:
Great.... I had to sack up for that one.
I normally don't like "dumbing down" trails. But, I guess I benefitted from that one. No way on the A-Line one. Though I saw a few make that one look easy.

Did anyone else hear about teh guy who got really bashed up in a bad way on A-Line yesterday? Or, see the pool of blood the maintenance guys were kicking dirt over? It was supposed to be pretty gruesome. A couple guys I know were right behind him and thought he might not live.

Yea, that's no good.

I saw some kid get taken off on a streatcher at N* and it kinda made me sick to my stomach

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
toughguymagee said:
GB and I went up there this weekend. It was her first time riding DH so we hit all of the fun blue runs. GB did great and we are now in the market to get her a DH bike! :)

Met Toshi and enjoyed the day.

Glad to hear she had a good time!!! :D (Check your PM's)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
bighitguy said:
wow, so many locals up there over the weekend, i was up there from thursday to yesterday. glad nobody's to much worse for the wear.

saturday i hit up the extended play and did some nice schleyer, clown shoes, crack addict, detroit rock city, and one other that i dont remember what it was, i was somewhat lost in the maze of double diamonds and just tryin to find some flow. ran a-line to close out the day and totally cleared the last table, it went about like this...

slow through the woods, didnt brake through the little berm or over the little ramp with the "SLOW" sign, landed about half way down the brick path on the landing, wanted to clear the long table and did, figured the builders must have made it ok to hold your speed after that and clear the next one smoothly because there's a good berm, so i didnt brake at all...ended up landing about 5ft past the bottom of the transition on the flat, got way behind the seat, tore my shorts on my tire, hammered my solar plexis ( right below my chest protector ) on the back of my seat, knocked the wind out of me and thought id broken a rib. bent the rear wheel but not so much that it wasnt rideable. had to get off and walk around for a couple minutes before i could go ride off the big glc.
I over shot it on my first run too...Landed flat and there were 3 guys watching...the cheered as I rode it out! :D I made sure to slow way down the next time I hit it.

Jun 18, 2004
chicodude01 said:
Yea, that's no good.

I saw some kid get taken off on a streatcher at N* and it kinda made me sick to my stomach
Apparently somebody died of head trama at the end of CrabApple 3 or 4 years ago...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Borneo said:
I know xc racers that don't enjoy this loop. They ride it but most don't like comfortably numb. It isn't exactly the most exciting trail. :) Kill me Thrill me rocks :)