Quantcast

I got this email (not DH related)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Sorry this really belongs in the lounge but I am not especially fond of the lounge.

I got this email today:

Dear_ Citi-Bank Mebmers,

ThIs letteer was sent_ by_the_ Citibank_Online sevrer to veerify your_ E-mail adress_.
You must complete this process by clicking on the_link _below_ and enttering
in the small winddow your CITI-bank Debit full Card Number and pin that
_you use in_the ATM Machine. This_is donne for_your protection -x- becouse some of_our
membres _no_longer_ have access to their E-MAIL addresses and we must verify it.

www.yahoo.com/?AO7uQF0qlgOlNBXTtocYxr4QCk0CPIlqyuWp9WRwdTT1iPUMf6LLzPEcbEO1nbrXFonO

To verify _your _EMAIL_ address and acccess your Citi
account, klick on _the link _below_.

kglyZfAt6v6lCR9 cTMnTrdV PonN5McV8thH

So what do you all think should I submit my email address, debit card number and pin??? Just when you think you've seen it all another scam pops up. Any legit correspondance from a credit card company will be done via snail mail or over the phone. I hope these guys haven't actually fooled anybody with their misspellings and poor grammar.

arcteryx33

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
Philly PA
Never do that. Just call the bank and confirm with them if the really need it. Those have been going around for a while and alerts are even sometimes posted on the banks homepage

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Originally posted by arcteryx33
Never do that. Just call the bank and confirm with them if the really need it. Those have been going around for a while and alerts are even sometimes posted on the banks homepage
I'm fairly certain the bank doesn't really need it. :rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Kornphlake
I hope these guys haven't actually fooled anybody with their misspellings and poor grammar.
It only takes one to make it all worth while. My friends boss fell for the PayPal one, then $5000 out of her savings later, she figured it out. They also posted a bunch of fake auctions on ebay using her account (once they changed the password) to use her good rating to sell vapor. Very nice.

So yes, it has been proven to work.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
DO NOT reply to any of those emails. your bank acct. will either be emptied or have money taken out of it. any email thats seems even a little fishy and asks you to verify acct information is baad.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
REPORT IT!!!

Seriously, they only catch a small percentage of those that are reported... but they don't catch any that aren't.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by MVRIDER
I've received similar b.s. emails, what I always wonder is whats_up_ with_all_ the _underscores_?
Underscores and funky spelling are strategies used to beat spam filters.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I get those every couple of months. The thing is, I do have a citibank card. I wonder if they send them out to everyone or if they got ahold of citibanks email list somehow and are targeting it at people who actually have citibank credit cards?

I made a lame attempt at forwarding it to citibank, support@citibank.com. When that was returned with no user at that address I didn't bother to look for a better address.

I mean really, isn't that pretty standard, if you have a technical issue you send it to support@domainname.com?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I got that one from paypal/ebay as well. I deleted it, I figure that if ebay or paypal needs information from me they'll request it when I log in, or they'll make me jump through hoops next time I want to buy or sell something to update my information. It's a good thing I was home when my wife checked the email because she was ready to respond, being quite active both selling and buying on ebay she was concerned about her current auctions. I stopped her and said to wait, if it's legit we'd get a second notice or a third. We haven't recieved any notices since not responding.

The funny thing about the email from citibank is that I don't have an account with citibank, I did at one time but it was sold to chase a couple months ago. Somebody must have hacked the citibank or chase database to get my address and then hoped that the confusion of what card is what would have prompted me to enter the information.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Incubus
Ditto. Maybe it's because I don't like cats. :confused:

DETAILS HERE
That and I don't know everybody there as well as I do here, it almost seems like the lounge is where ex mtbr'ers hang out and here's where the hardcore monkeys reside. Or maybe it's the cat thing.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I'm fairly sure bank's can spell the word "click" I walked into a bank and they have click spelt "klick" on their forms. I would bust a U-turn.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by HGR Frucci
I got the same email as well and reported it to my spam blocker.
don't just report it to your spam blocker, report it to citibank as well!