Quantcast

I hate mortgage companies and underwriters

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i hear ya. "My" mortgage broker in FL gave me the run-around so bad it was the first and only time I ever wanted to hit someone I was doing business with. Closing time is the wrong time to spring surprises.

So Knuck, what happened?

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
I hear ya. My underwriter seems to care about my mortgage as much as I care about creamed spinach. And about half as friendly. Got a little surprise sprung on me yesterday that had me scrambling the whole day. She was so matter-of-fact about the whole thing too. Like I haven't had enough mortgage drama this week. :rolleyes:

... not to hijack your thread, Knuckle ;)

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
well first mistake
www.esmartloan.com :dead:
was supposed to close last week and they found out, I'm in debt with taxes caus my escro with my 1st mortgage co isn't taking enough out. So they find out (this is the company I'm trying to get a 2nd with)
A. I owe about $1200 in back taxes
B. My mortgage will be going up from $2040 a month to $2200 a month as my taxes went up.

So that puts my income to debt ratio above the high water mark I guess. So now they have to do a drive by appraisal instead of an electronic one. They have to get 310k in order for my loan to work. Now the appraiser can't find anything in the area remotely close to 310k even though I have another appraisal from 1 month ago that came in at $350k with 4 comps in the area at $350k or >

So I fax them the appraisal that has another mortgage company's name on it (they said they can get around not being able to use it) but now their appraiser is trying to figure out why he couldn't find those same comps. So now the appraisal and whatnot is in the underwriting and I'm just looking for a f**king answer whether it is going to happen or not.

This appraisal I have was from a company I was trying to refinance my first mortgage with, but couldn't as I have a 20k prepay penalty for 3 years, which I diddn't know about. So refinancing the first is out of the question.

With the 2nd I'm trying to get, I'm paying off 10k on my VW so it's paid off, paying off another account (not a CC) for 3600 and getting 15,000 for home improvements so I can put in a real driveway (that the builder diddn't give me) fix my basement that floods, fix my deck that is falling off my house and finish a patio. Then, I'm selling the place and moving into a condo and never ever ever ever ever going to build a new house again.

I'M SO PHUCKING SPENT MAN. BANKS SUCK. I HATE THEM. YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT I THINK ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO BANKS, UNDERWRITERS, APPRAISERS AND MORTGAGE COMPANIES. DIE ALL OF YOU, DIE.

Knuckle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, Knuck, you want to tell us how you really feel? :D

Just giving you a hard time.. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I hear ya. I just closed on a MTG about a week ago. The day before the closing they called and said I needed to bring an extra $5000 to the table that we hadn't been counting on, and the explaination was htat the good faith was off and you added thing to the house and all of this other crap. So I bring the extra $$ and when we get to the title company they have us down for $3000 down which was really $15,000. Thankfully I brought copies of the cancelled checks with me.

On a side note, I do personal insurance so these A-holes are calling all the time to do mortgage changes on homeowners policies, they always wait until the day of closing to get ask for them. When you don't drop everything you are doing to accomidate their procrastination, they try and get a hold of your boss and get you in trouble.

That industry is such a joke. They try to screw you anyway they can.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I feel REALLY lucky that I've found a good morgage guy. Straight up honest and we've never had to deal with an underwriter or and anyone else. Adam takes care of everything and shields us from all the backend BS. We made the mistake of trying to use someone else for a refinance last year and it was a freakin fiasco. They string us along until the very last day where its either sign the re-fi, or send in our current morgage payment. We sat down at the table for final signings and they come up with the typical "Yeah, for this to happen, you're going to need to write us a check for $1200" bullsh*t. Luckily for us, their underwriter was such a freakin airhead, that she brought the wrong papers. The next day, we went to her office, and her email was down, so she couldn't get the papers then either. We bailed and I'm glad we did. We went back to Adam, and instead of saving about $65 a month (after being promised a $200 per month savings), we ended up saving OVER $200 a month. And that was with us taking out an extra home equity line of credit.

Hmmm. Lets see. I shell out $1200 and only save $65 a month, or you give me a check for $38K and I still save $200 a month. Hmmmmm. What to do....

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I lucked out when I closed on my house :D

We were supposed to put 20k down based on the purchase price and monthly payment and whatnot. We closed and nobody asked us for a check for 20k and we actaully got a check back for 13k. This is no lie and I did not ask and did not tell. So we had 33k to blow frivilously on the house. Hence the 54" widescreen, surround sound, 3 pc's laptop server, even the bathroom networked so you can surf and sh*t, lol.

Maybee I'm getting paid back now for that. Anyhow, yep, banks make it as painful as possible for people. Why? Because they are all a bunch of skumbags run by coorperate PIGS that are worrying about getting screwed. Who gets screwed? Ha? Who really gets screwed? Me and you. Were the idiots that end up paying 1 million dollars for a 300k house in the end. Oh and BTW, nobody is a home owner. Your renting from the bank. You lose your job, they come and take their house. So anyone that tells you they are a home owner is a liar. Your simply renting to own and hopefully by the time your 60 years old, it will be paid off and you'll have 5 years to enjoy mortgage free, before you get bone canca and the insurance company comes and takes ya crib to pay for medical bills. Yeah, USA, ain't it great? I don't want to hear about life in Iraq either. I have no pity for anyone over there. I am a self-righteous, self-centered, all consuming no good son of a bittch. So to all your coorperate skumbags. Knuckle says - you'll get yours you buch of filthy no good pigs. A big FU to ya.

Knuckle

Man that felt good. WWWhew!!!!! :D

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by pixelninja
I feel REALLY lucky that I've found a good morgage guy. Straight up honest and we've never had to deal with an underwriter or and anyone else.
I had a similar experience with my house. I refinanced about a year ago, getting a lower rate and switching to a 15 yr mortgage. The bank called it "recasting" and charged a $600 service fee and a 1/2 day of paperwork. My monthly payment stayed about the same, but the house will be paid off much faster.

A side effect is my tax refund went down as I'm not paying as much in interest - no big deal.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Knuckleslammer

We were supposed to put 20k down based on the purchase price and monthly payment and whatnot. We closed and nobody asked us for a check for 20k and we actaully got a check back for 13k. This is no lie and I did not ask and did not tell. So we had 33k to blow frivilously on the house. Hence the 54" widescreen, surround sound, 3 pc's laptop server, even the bathroom networked so you can surf and sh*t, lol.
You start this thread bitching about morgage companies, then you reveal this? :eek: You got away with 33K? Man, you have no right to bitch about morgage people for your next 5 house purchases or 35 years, whichever comes first.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

Maybee I'm getting paid back now for that. Anyhow, yep, banks make it as painful as possible for people. Why? Because they are all a bunch of skumbags run by coorperate PIGS that are worrying about getting screwed. Who gets screwed? Ha? Who really gets screwed? Me and you. Were the idiots that end up paying 1 million dollars for a 300k house in the end. Oh and BTW, nobody is a home owner. Your renting from the bank. You lose your job, they come and take their house. So anyone that tells you they are a home owner is a liar. Your simply renting to own and hopefully by the time your 60 years old, it will be paid off and you'll have 5 years to enjoy mortgage free, before you get bone canca and the insurance company comes and takes ya crib to pay for medical bills. Yeah, USA, ain't it great? I don't want to hear about life in Iraq either. I have no pity for anyone over there. I am a self-righteous, self-centered, all consuming no good son of a bittch. So to all your coorperate skumbags. Knuckle says - you'll get yours you buch of filthy no good pigs. A big FU to ya.

Knuckle

Man that felt good. WWWhew!!!!! :D
:nopity:

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Good timing on the thread....I'm so frustrated with playing stupid mortgage games right now I could cry...ugh...stupid f*cking banks.

Here's a good one:

Reputable Mortgage Broker, does a presentation to my mother's real estate company, she (who is the newbie) and the rest of the 20 year veterans there quiz the Broker like crazy. Mom does some background checks, everything is kosher.

Mom sends me their information, I call and speak to the person at length. We start exchanging info back and forth, she (the broker) goes to visit my mom in person to hand over what paperwork had been done solidifying my pre-approval. All that's left is to go meet with the sponsoring program that is reducing my interest rates and handling my PMI. Sweet! I set up the appointments, which were for yesterday...

(for those of you who don't know...I'm young, lots of student loans and have a car - so I didn't pursue the buying a house thing very aggressively...but everything checked out...yay!).

I show up to meet with the Broker lady first...she's scatterbrained, has files in bad order...and then get this...
sits down and asks me to LIE about having an extra "undocumented" income of 1,000 per month so the sponsoring organization doesn't frown on the amount of student loans I have....:eek:
I was like...who the f*ck are you...these are my finances, and I sure as hell am not signing **** with a lie on it.
So I get up, walk out. Go to my appointment with the sponsoring org, they don't have her paperwork with the false **** on it (thank goodness), I'm still preapproved, they like my finances etc etc....but I'm going...bull****...I'm not signing anything right now. Ohyeah...and wanna know who the f*ck it was that pulled this ****
BofA....I'm letting Mom handle the phone calls to the lady's supervisor.

I have an appointment with a new broker today, she's been workign with my mother's realtor office for 20 years (her 87 year old mother is still a realtor...crazy). She'll handle grabbing my file from BofA and running the numbers again. I'll know if the deal is done by end of day today.

Sigh...stupid banks.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by -BB-
Sorry guys...
We aren't all bad.
My wife is a broker, and I do marketing for H&R Block Mortgage.
Yep, you're right, you're not all bad. I just got off the phone with the other lady, super awesome, fast working, efficient, and honest (such a relief after the BofA crap). :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
OK, if your not bad, set me up man. I need my car paid off, a small account paid off and 15k in cash. Oh, and I want it done by Monday ok?
Thanks,

Kevin
A guy trashed on Vicodin who's quitting his job, and you expect a company to just hand you 30K+ in cash?

Unless you have an 800 FICO, you're living in a bit of a dream world, I think.

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
...and wanna know who the f*ck it was that pulled this ****
BofA....
I had my Mortgage with BofA ! WATCH OUT !

I couldn't wait to get out from under them ! I got hit with 2 late fees because they said they didn't get the check in time. mailed on the first , only had to go from Boston to Buffalo, and took over 2 weeks ? come on!

then every year they would come to me and say I didn't have Home owners insurace and set me up with an ultra expenive policy , meanwhile my insurance company is saying that they are all paid up and I'm fine.

and every year they would screw up the escrow estimate and I would be short about $1000 , every year!

I just refinaced out from under them , but the new company has already hit me with a surprise ! , claiming my flood insurance isn't up to snuff ! Right now it is a $5000 deductable ,they want $1000! Needing flood insurncae Pisses me off to start with and they knew this when re-finacing , so to hit me with this really annoys me!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by splat

I just refinaced out from under them , but the new company has already hit me with a surprise ! , claiming my flood insurance isn't up to snuff ! Right now it is a $5000 deductable ,they want $1000! Needing flood insurncae Pisses me off to start with and they knew this when re-finacing , so to hit me with this really annoys me!
They probably didn't pull a flood cert until the end of the process. It costs money to do that, and if you did it with everyone who was shopping for a mortgage...

If you gave them your dec page up front, it's their error though...and that sucks.

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by Silver
They probably didn't pull a flood cert until the end of the process. It costs money to do that, and if you did it with everyone who was shopping for a mortgage...

If you gave them your dec page up front, it's their error though...and that sucks.
it was who they sold the mortgage too , who wanted the higher flood values.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by splat
it was who they sold the mortgage too , who wanted the higher flood values.
Ahh, that is their screwup, not yours.

Has the mortgage funded already? Papers signed, out of recission (if there was one?)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I just had a very pleasant conversation with an executive at BofA.

He's going to have a word with the lady who so fraudulantly created a grand out of thin air every month to add to my income ;), and see what he can do about either destroying my file or providing me a copy of it. Sigh, at least he was a good person to speak to.

I think if everyone had phone numbers to reach the guys at the top, we'd actually have satisfactory business with these companies.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I just had a very pleasant conversation with an executive at BofA.

I think if everyone had phone numbers to reach the guys at the top, we'd actually have satisfactory business with these companies.
I doubt it, but if it makes you feel better...:p

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
the story they gave me is that my old escrow acct was messed up. even though it was impounded, they didn't pay my property tax......which makes sense since i still got the bill (and paid it). so they told me we had to build up the reserves in the new acct with the $6000+ check but i was gonna get it back from the original acct when escrow closed.

so i just told the idiot to transfer the funds from the old acct to the new one cuz they weren't getting a penny from me.