Quantcast

I hate road bikes

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
But I love watching roadies race.

I happen to live in a great place. Colorado is a neat place to ride, but what really kicks a** is when you head downtown in your local place of residence and see a crit going on! Complete with the streets closed, fans watching, and strong riders haulin' through the streets. I sit my trials ridin' arse down, sip some coffee brew and watch these guys haul up and down main street. This is going on as I write. TV camera's are ready on all the corners (to be aired on Altitude). This town just kicks. I am inspired to actually ride my road bike (which has been at the hands of another monkey for 3 years). Perhaps I will, again, get back on a road bike and go fast....

nah... I'll stick to my singletrack.

hats off to you racing roadies.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Ascentrek said:

I happen to live in a great place. Colorado is a neat place to ride, but what really kicks a** is when you head downtown in your local place of residence and see a crit going on! Complete with the streets closed, fans watching, and strong riders haulin' through the streets. I sit my trials ridin' arse down, sip some coffee brew and watch these guys haul up and down main street. This is going on as I write. TV camera's are ready on all the corners (to be aired on Altitude). This town just kicks. I am inspired to actually ride my road bike (which has been at the hands of another monkey for 3 years). Perhaps I will, again, get back on a road bike and go fast....

Yea, that's a great crit....a little soggy today, so that made things more interesting....and painfull; mmmmmmm pain

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ascentrek said:

Hey maing, I gotta get talking with you. I'm moving down to goto Mines and need some direction on the living situation there. Think I can pick your brain a bit thru PM?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Paully, I'm sure he'd answer those questions. Just becareful if he invites you to ride. He'll ride UP the mt on a heavy downhill rig and leave you in the dust. Most people can't survive such a humbling experience :D

What was the crit route? I'm bummed I didn't see it. We were going up Lookout Mt. around 1pm and I didn't notice anything.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
LordOpie said:
What was the crit route? I'm bummed I didn't see it. We were going up Lookout Mt. around 1pm and I didn't notice anything.
it was a figure eight through mainstreet (washington st.) of old town golden and a couple surrounding streets

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
Paully, I'm sure he'd answer those questions. Just becareful if he invites you to ride. He'll ride UP the mt on a heavy downhill rig and leave you in the dust. Most people can't survive such a humbling experience :D
Hehehe.. that's ok. I'm perfectly ok knowing I'm a big pussy :D
I did that on Fri, took my 54# DH bike up to the rock qory on Howlsen Hill for her maiden voyage. When I can ride I had to stand (only had a 42-30 for low). I did like 3/4 of it standing; it sucked!
Oh say LO, you'd like the loop I did on Sat: Hotsprings from town, up Madcreek, up to Red Dirt road, down it, then climbed back up the back side of Hot Springs, then home. I think it was like 40 mi and it thoroughly kicked my ass!

Edit: I'm used to being humiliated off the back. Last year, I got my ass kicked by a little girl on a Blur climbing up the DH route of Muddy Slide. But I was happy since she got out of my way in the down :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Oh say LO, you'd like the loop I did on Sat: Hotsprings from town, up Madcreek, up to Red Dirt road, down it, then climbed back up the back side of Hot Springs, then home. I think it was like 40 mi and it thoroughly kicked my ass!
is that dirt of pavement?

I should come up there this summer a couple of times and make you play tour guide :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
It's all dirt w/ a 4 mile pavement access.
You need to get back on dirt boi! Next weekend is REP again. I'm hoping to break the 1 hours mark (shooting for < 1 hour). I did it two weeks ago and got up it in 1 hour 20 mins. Since then, I've been doing some mid 30 to 40 milers to get into shape. The dirt ride this past Sat helped.

Edit: I'm going to start coming down there on weekends starting mid June or so to scout out places w/ the ex-chic (not the douche bag, but the cool one). I need to get ready for Mines. Will prob bring down my DH bike so on the way back I can hit Vail or Keystone :D Maybe I'll bring the roadie and let you play tour guide around the Golden area ?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Maybe I'll bring the roadie and let you play tour guide around the Golden area ?
Sure, we'll go to Flagstaff and Golden Gate Park to the top ;)

Just let me know in advance as I'm hoping to get out of town when possible.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
Sure, we'll go to Flagstaff and Golden Gate Park to the top ;)

Just let me know in advance as I'm hoping to get out of town when possible.
Will do.
But dude, I'm not touching Flagstaff for at least the first 6 months. I got to drive up it again recently (Boulder Kinetix - the PSA group w/ the giant cake that ate the dumpster), and it's stoopid steep! Keep in mind I only have a double so I'll be standing most of the way up!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
$$, or the lack of it.
Conversion = new rr der ($100.00), new frt der ($60.00), new cassette ($120.00), new frt STI ($140.00), new BB ($50.00), new crankset ($250.00) or at least middle and small ring ($80.00).
Or, I can get strong riding a double.

Dude, Flagstaff is not a prank. It'd be a cruel slapdown.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've seen the light and it can be described in two words - compact double. Seriously, if you haven't tried them out yet, find a LBS w/ a bike equipped with them and take it for a test-ride. You lose just a tiny bit of your high end, but what you gain in the low-to-mid end is phenominal.

Regardless, nothing will benefit you more than miles, miles and even more miles.:thumb:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:
Will do.
But dude, I'm not touching Flagstaff for at least the first 6 months. I got to drive up it again recently (Boulder Kinetix - the PSA group w/ the giant cake that ate the dumpster), and it's stoopid steep! Keep in mind I only have a double so I'll be standing most of the way up!
Hmmm... too bad its not dirt, otherwise I'd bring my 43 lb bike out to play.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ascentrek said:
Hmmm... too bad its not dirt, otherwise I'd bring my 43 lb bike out to play.
Ya know what tho.. When I was driving it, I saw a hiking trail that went up w/ the road. I'd bet that'd be a hoot to come down. I'm not sure what kind of trouble you'd get in if you got caught tho since that's not my part of the state. I've ridden hiking trails on my mountain plenty. When I run into hikers, I just pull off the side of the trail, smile and let them by. Typically they just smile and continue on their merry way. I don't know if there are any places to pull off on that Flag Staff hiking trail, looked steep a all hell.
What I really want to do is poach a trail here called SilverCreek. It was National Forest about 6 years ago, but since has been converted to Wilderness Area. What I don't get is there are SOOOO many man-made objects on this trail since it was a mining camp in the early century. Now, only horses and hikers are allowed on. I've heard from other bikers who've poached it that it used to be super smooth but has since turned into one pot-marked hell covered in sh!t w/ all the horses.