Quantcast

I hate Whistler. It sucks!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Why do I hate whistler? Cuz it hates me.

My last trip for like....a long time. So it pisses rain. On run #4, derailleur gets sucked into back wheel, snaps in half, tears out a bunch of spokes...won't roll. Luckily it was right at the first berm on A-line at the top. So I carry it (bike won't roll cuz chain is TOTALLY jammed into cassette), up to the gondola to ride down. (Novel idea, eh Bryan?)

I get to the bottom, decide to rent a bike. (of course I go back to the car first and lock my bike in the Jeep). So I rent a "sweet" (snort) Kona Garbanzo with an 888. I firgure, "Hey I may as well see what all the hype is about. Well, they put 600# springs on their Konas. That is retarded. I got MAYBE 2 inches of travel.....and the crappy ass WTB tires would NOT hook up in the mud. The bike was close to unridable...Yes i know..."it's a poor musician" and all that.

So I did two runs on the Kona, and I meet up with Eric again (the guy with whom I drove up). We had parted ways because he flatted earlier. I finally see him again in the village....pushing his bike. He had torn HIS derailleur off too! He did it on his way down from the top of the mountain.... so he took a fire road down, which took him down to Whistler Creekside. He had to make his way back to the village along the highway...

Then it REALLY started to piss rain. We decided to pack it in at around 1:30.

Oh and did I mention, I didn't get an chance to go to the top of the mountain? 2 A-Lines, 3 Dirt Merchants. And that was all. And two of those runs were on a bike that was trying to toss me into the woods.

So screw Whistler, I say...Bromont....here i come....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've just got home from 2 weeks out there. Whistler rocks :) Although I did manage to injure myself, but I left it until the last day of riding....

On A-line, the blind left-hand berm 2 corners before you come into Hornet, was railing it around there as normal, and my wheels hit something loose and started to slide (surprising since it's a no-brakes hardpack berm essentially). Stuck my inside foot out to dab, and managed to "catch" it on a rock that was embedded in the ground. We're talking like a 1" protrusion above ground level if that. Never the less it was like someone hitting the base of my foot with a 25mph sledgehammer :(

Xrays show no breaks, though doc said it might be, frikkin hurts at any rate. 3 weeks to heal before I go out to Morzine.... come on foot! :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
probably because you were riding with me? ;)

Whistler rocks...
riding Whistler in the slop sucks...

Good riding with you again Mike...hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to fix the DH9.

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
That is why I got me DUI awhile back.

I got it on purpose because Whistler sucks and I did not want this to happen to me.

Now they just will not even let me go up there, so I have nothing to worry about.
:rolleyes:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I've never heard anything good about those WTB tires, but just to say, I weigh 115 pounds and my 600 pound spring is perfect for me, and not too stiff either with 5 inch travel. So I dont know what was up with yours...

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
he was used to riding a DH9...that's what was wrong with his

whistler always breeds weird mechanical issues for me too. Last time up I was rolling through schleyer and that little rock drop deal right before the flat bridge that you can gap I broke a spoke, which is bad enough.... but it went right through my tube and punctured it. I could hear the air hissing out of the tube but I still had enough speed and time to jump the bridge before it went completely flat. So I fix the tube, thanks to Oly and his portable bike shop ;) then on the same run right at the beginning of the biker cross my chain jams all up from who knows what. So I ride the rest of the course without pedaling, which was fun cause I could work on pumping the sh|t out of the trannies and such. I get to the bottom of the hill and take a look to see what happened. BOTH rollers of my deralier came off...I've had one work it's way loose but never two. Damn you whistler.....I love you

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
smedford said:
they wont let you go up there? what do you mean? what if someone else drives?
Nope.

Not until time has elapsed or paperwork and money after portion of time has elapsed is completed. Cannot do that until all probation etc.. is done. After all that, it has to be reviewed and ruled if I am allowed or not.

I have tried sneaking up as passenger, but they got pissed because I was told once already. Had to go through a bunch of crap again because of that. Now I am in their system as not allowed and trying to sneak in. If I abuse it or keep trying, they can ban me for good. All I can do is wait which (hopefully) by the paperwork and such that I have is until next year.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Oh crap...you have a criminal record. yeah our border sucks. I had a friend turns away cause she had rolling papers in her bag. She got 'marked' and is never allowed in the states again.

Our borders are pretty tight considering how close we are haha

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I had 3 rear wheel punctures, and the spokes on that wheel needed re-tensioning every few days, that aside I had zero mechanical problems in 13 days straight of riding!! The pivot bolt fell out of my frame but those who know the design of the DHi will appreciate that didn't stop me riding.

Maybe it's because I wussed out of the Clown Shoes drop? ;)

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
I had a pretty damn good time. My bike was running perfect even when 90% of it was all the same color brown. Maxxis minions rule. All I did on saturday was like 7 runs of dirt merchant to middle aline to hornet to new lower a line to big glc drop. Even after hosing down my bike it's still covered in mud ahah.

I'll throw up some pics and video later on.

peace!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
SR said:
thanks to Oly and his portable bike shop ;)
You shoulda seen me this weekend i was able to help out twice with my portable shop. I flat fix on a DH bike with a funny rear axle, and another with a superT with broken lowers..... I work for beer.... :)