Quantcast

I Have No Self Control.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yea, Fanuc O-Mate M control. I know very little about CNC mills. Goal 1 is to not break shit.
Many moons ago I worked for Fanuc. I don't remember everything but let me know if you have any questions.

As far as not breaking shit:
Get comfortable with one hand on the override knob and another on the the feed hold button. If unsure of the program run in single block and watch the distance to go readout. If shit don't look right, stop or go very slowly.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thanks, one of my good buddies is pretty savvy with most controls and runs his job shop full time. I share a shop space with him and have a bunch of my manual stuff over there. Been slowly learning from him, but hard to get time in to run stuff and really sit down and learn hands on. Finally decided to just go for it after finding a decent deal. Just looking to use it as a stepping stone to something better in the near future.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A lot easier to grind them up with that thing than by hand.

Fun fact, the visible man project was done by freezing a cadaver then milling away layers a few mm at a time. They took pictures of each layer to then create a 3-D solid model. Anyone who has worked around machine tools knows that machine coolant troughs can smell bad, that one would have been particularly awefull.:)

...Fun fact, the visible [hu]man project was done by freezing a cadaver then milling away layers a few mm at a time. They took pictures of each layer to then create a 3-D solid model. Anyone who has worked around machine tools knows that machine coolant troughs can smell bad, that one would have been particularly awefull.:)...
Their sourcing of the cadavers was subject to some considerable controversy, as I recall...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Their sourcing of the cadavers was subject to some considerable controversy, as I recall...
I remember seeing the "Bodies" exhibit back in Chicago about 10 years ago. They had the flayed skin of a prisoner, complete with bad tattoos and several punctures from jail stabbings.

He 'donated his body to science', as I recall.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The cadaver industry is a pretty gray area.
There was a kind of a scandal at my alma mater when one institute used PMHO (Post Mortem Human Objects) for the development of crash test dummies without consideration of the ethics comission. They recieved them from the partnering medical university, but not for free...

Someone always wants to be asked and feel important.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh dude...bad...real bad.
There was a kind of a scandal at my alma mater when one institute used PMHO (Post Mortem Human Objects) for the development of crash test dummies without consideration of the ethics comission. They recieved them from the partnering medical university, but not for free...

Someone always wants to be asked and feel important.
wasn't making a joke. my company works with cadavers extensively. there's not a lot of regulation other than you can't pay for a cadaver / cadaver portions itself (money is made for things like transport, handling, storage, etc). and stipulations as to what they can be used for.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wasn't making a joke. my company works with cadavers extensively. there's not a lot of regulation other than you can't pay for a cadaver / cadaver portions itself (money is made for things like transport, handling, storage, etc). and stipulations as to what they can be used for.
so basically, if you're willing to pay for the logistics, if you want her, you cadaver?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A lot easier to grind them up with that thing than by hand.

Fun fact, the visible man project was done by freezing a cadaver then milling away layers a few mm at a time. They took pictures of each layer to then create a 3-D solid model. Anyone who has worked around machine tools knows that machine coolant troughs can smell bad, that one would have been particularly awefull.:)

Probably smelled pretty tasty, actually. Cautery + live humans during surgery == meat on the grill smell. Can't deny it.

Dead person + formaldehyde might lead to a cured meat smell instead.

Last edited: