Quantcast

I just bought a 2016 Banshee Spitfire, any suggestions or recommendations?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm only trying to help - sounds like you have a solid case to get looked after since they made mistakes, just good to be armed with knowledge of the formal documentation in case you have to deal with some real "by the book" person.

I think you'll be fine to ride it. Bike looks sweet, and to be honest I can't even see the damage in the pic that isn't a closeup.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I would take it up with my credit card company and the seller. It's the shop's responsibility to get your order to you in good condition. They are the ones who need to file insurance claims with the shipper, not you. They should replace the bike and send you a return shipping label. If they say no, then contact your credit card company.

If this happened to one of my wedding bands, I would be the one dealing with Fedex, not my customer.

I wouldn't ride it until I was certain that nothing would be done. I think you have a legit issue here that should be resolved. Patience...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'm only trying to help - sounds like you have a solid case to get looked after since they made mistakes, just good to be armed with knowledge of the formal documentation in case you have to deal with some real "by the book" person.

I think you'll be fine to ride it. Bike looks sweet, and to be honest I can't even see the damage in the pic that isn't a closeup.
Oh yeah I know you are. and I appreciate it. I hope i wasn't coming across differently cause that's definitely not the case. I am pretty bummed by it, I need to be patient and not let the novelty of having a new bike cloud my judgement, and make sure to do the right thing and get it replaced if possible.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Also want to add that Banshees are very difficult to dent, so your bike took a hell of a hit in transit. There could be other damage as well.
Sounds like I just need to be patient and do what they ask. I'll hold off riding it until I better know what is going to happen. I even stopped building it up when I found the dent, so it's not in completely ride-able condition as of now anyway. I can focus on getting my wheels built up while this gets sorted out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That sucks man.

That poor girl is sitting there just waiting to shred :(

Mine took a beating today...rocks bouncing off of it left and right and perhaps even my knee at one point. It wants moarrr.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
you haven't gotten any dents in yours from regular use? not to jinx you or anything. metalsmith^ said they use some pretty stout tubing so just curious

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
My V1 had several mm of side play from bushing/frame wear over 4 years and 0 dents. Not trying to brag, but I tend to be aggressive when it come to rocks. Many times I've felt rocks hit the downtube so hard I was sure I cracked it. Even made my teeth hurt once, still no dent.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
My V1 had several mm of side play from bushing/frame wear over 4 years and 0 dents. Not trying to brag, but I tend to be aggressive when it come to rocks. Many times I've felt rocks hit the downtube so hard I was sure I cracked it. Even made my teeth hurt once, still no dent.
well fuck. sounds like my frame definitely got whopped pretty hard then, even if the dent is pretty small.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yep no dents on mine from the rocks. Though, I'm guessing the tubes around the bottom bracket are much more stout than the top tube.

Also have not crashed on it hard or had it go tumbling into the bush. Knock on wood...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just getting around to this now, but I would take it up with the shop/seller. Fedex is shit, it sounds like, for this kind of damange, even if it's their fault
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/anyone-have-to-deal-with-fed-ex-damage-claims.256163/#post-3860301

if there's no resolution, i would just ride it as is. I had dents that big in my sunday that I bought used from one of the trumpores then rode for two years, but it was filled in with bondo from the factory....so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just getting around to this now, but I would take it up with the shop/seller. Fedex is shit, it sounds like, for this kind of damange, even if it's their fault
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/anyone-have-to-deal-with-fed-ex-damage-claims.256163/#post-3860301

if there's no resolution, i would just ride it as is. I had dents that big in my sunday that I bought used from one of the trumpores then rode for two years, but it was filled in with bondo from the factory....so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
i know it's not a directly relatable situation, but i once had items missing from an order from Dan's Comp, there had been some damage to the box, but nothing major. They checked their systems and confirmed that all items were indeed packed. It was shipped via UPS but they didn't do anything. In talking with Dan's comp they said they'd take it up with the carrier once I filed a police report and fwd'd them a copy. I filed a report, and sure enough, within a few days the missing items were delivered to me.

from what i can gather, because i ordered a complete bike, Dan's just opened the bike box and added in the other items i reordered, then reclosed that box. my best guess is that somewhere along the lines during shipping, someone from UPS decided this was their opportunity to reopen the box, take a few things, then close it, assuming no one would notice since the box was already opened/closed once.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's BS dude. I'd get a new triangle from the seller. You paid for a new bike, get a new bike. Or at least get them to make it right.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
That's BS dude. I'd get a new triangle from the seller. You paid for a new bike, get a new bike. Or at least get them to make it right.
I don't think I'm going to be able to. Whatever happens, they are going to want the bike back and I have already sold the shock off of it. FedEx is going to make it difficult. BikeFlights won't put anyone on the phone when i press the damage claim option. Even if I could get one of the parties involved to replace it, it would be the most inconvenient and most pain in the ass process possible so I'm not sure I even want to start that process for a dent so small that you don't notice it

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I was thinking of taking my old 26 tires and cutting them up and wrapping the frame for frame protection. cause you know once you go 650b you dont go back :dead:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I believe my Pike is a 160mm version. it has 6 and 3/8 inches stanchion exposed. do the 150mm version have the same axle to crown height? or is it lowered by 10mm compared to the 160mm? the 150mm version should have just under 6 inches of exposed stanchion correct?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I just saw this on Vital, which is a bummer as the Spitfire seems like such a rad bike.

2016 Banshee Spitfire. Bought as a frame not complete, it was crooked out of the box (both the shock mount and the rear triangle). Banshee refused to do anything about it. Regarding the crooked shock mount, Banshee said the side loading to the shock wouldn't be a problem because the Cane Creek Inline that it came with was "a tough shock". The shop it was ordered through tried to get it warrantied, with Banshee pretty much ignoring them. After about 2 months they finally agreed to take it back and replace it, as long as I paid shipping, $350...each way. Of course by then I didn't even want the damn thing, so they agreed to take it back but would only give a partial refund. After they received the frame/shock, it still took 3 months and the threat of siccing a lawyer on them before they paid up, which amounted to $1000 of the $1700 I had paid for it. Got a Kona Process 153DL instead. It's great!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There's quite a bit about that story that seems like bullshit.

Edit: It's not a bummer and it is a rad bike. Talk to literally anyone that owns one.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah that seems off. I've read good things about banshee warranty on emptybeer and have personal experience with them.

My v1 Spitfire was out of warranty and the bushing slop wasn't as bad as others were reporting, but they still replaced and upgraded me to v2 frame. I just had to pay for the shock and shipping. Shipping was about $50....

Anything is possible though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just saw this on Vital, which is a bummer as the Spitfire seems like such a rad bike.

2016 Banshee Spitfire. Bought as a frame not complete, it was crooked out of the box (both the shock mount and the rear triangle). Banshee refused to do anything about it. Regarding the crooked shock mount, Banshee said the side loading to the shock wouldn't be a problem because the Cane Creek Inline that it came with was "a tough shock". The shop it was ordered through tried to get it warrantied, with Banshee pretty much ignoring them. After about 2 months they finally agreed to take it back and replace it, as long as I paid shipping, $350...each way. Of course by then I didn't even want the damn thing, so they agreed to take it back but would only give a partial refund. After they received the frame/shock, it still took 3 months and the threat of siccing a lawyer on them before they paid up, which amounted to $1000 of the $1700 I had paid for it. Got a Kona Process 153DL instead. It's great!
There's quite a bit about that story that seems like bullshit.

yea i'm gonna call BS too. their CS was great. I broke an axle very early on, emailed banshee and they said it was definitely covered under warranty, and to go through the shop i bought from (price point). so i filled out the warranty request and sent it in. i didn't hear anything at all for like 4 weeks, so i emailed them. i had a spare axle so i was still able to ride, so no rush. i emailed them another 3 times over the next 6 weeks, not a single response. finally got ahold of someone through their facebook page. they had "mislocated it". Once they finally got around to processing my warranty claim, they informed me they couldn't do anything because they were no longer a banshee dealer.

i emailed banshee CS explaining my situation. the person who responded to me said "wow that sucks. I've got one right here in my office, i'll ship it out today." boom. had it in my hands within a week. A+ from banshee.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Also, $350 shipping each way. BS. Doesn't cost that much to ship a whole bike not to mention just a frame. Guessing it has more to do with a shitty customer than Banshee. I haven't dealt with them personally but everyone I personally know that has, has nothing but excellent things to say about them going out of their way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, $350 shipping each way. BS. Doesn't cost that much to ship a whole bike not to mention just a frame. Guessing it has more to do with a shitty customer than Banshee. I haven't dealt with them personally but everyone I personally know that has, has nothing but excellent things to say about them going out of their way.
not only that, when i was dealing with them i inquired about t-shirts / clothing. they actually asked me a couple questions about casual / riding gear because they're looking into making some and were trying to solicit some opinions from their customer base.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
When I bought my frame, I expected a '14 in stealth black but received a '13 in black with white decals. The shop I ordered through (not a Banshee dealer, none local to me) asked what they could do. I was impatient, and wanted to build and ride the thing (not wait for a second frame to be shipped) and other than the decals, the '13 and '14 were identical, so I wasn't really too upset about it.

They gave me $150 back on the purchase price, a pile of stickers and three t-shirts (even asked my size so they're wearable). I don't know if it was the distributor or Banshee who took care of that, but I was satisfied with the service.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
yeah that is the thing that is throwing the credibility of the whole story off. I have shipped frames internationally for less than half of that. the bike must have been made of lead for it to be $350

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i would say ride it.. i feel like that part of the top tube is safe for small dents

sorry to hear about the dent though
Yeah I decided to just ride it the way it is. It's not very noticeable and its not structurally dangerous or anything. Taking all that into consideration, it wouldn't be worth the headache it would be to go through the process with FedEx to get them to cover the cost of a new one. And who knows how long it would take. At any rate, I've waited too long for them to do anything for me. Not a huge deal, it's a bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So...what do you think of it?

I'm over 3000km on this frame now. It's still going strong. I'm 210-220 pounds and not easy on it.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
So...what do you think of it?

I'm over 3000km on this frame now. It's still going strong. I'm 210-220 pounds and not easy on it.
Still waiting on a rear caliper adapter, but riding it around the neighborhood it feels fuckin awesome. I have it in the low geo setting and it just seems like the bb is basically on the ground. So awesome. I can't wait to get it on the trails and see what it can do. Tracking info is showing the adapter should be here tomorrow so I'll be riding either tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Since the new Spitfire is significantly stiffer than my old worn out one and running bigger knobs, the local trails are now so much easier that I'm losing motivation. I can see now why these flow-easy™ trails are more enjoyable on a big wheel bikes with xc geometry.

Need a dose of Pisgah bad.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Since the new Spitfire is significantly stiffer than my old worn out one and running bigger knobs, the local trails are now so much easier that I'm losing motivation. I can see now why these flow-easy™ trails are more enjoyable on a big wheel bikes with xc geometry.

Need a dose of Pisgah bad.
Where do you live? I am in the suburbs to the north of Atlanta, and my buddies in my riding group just hit Pisgah/Bailey/Dupont/Asheville area trails for the first time about 2/3 months ago and were just massively blown away. We have ridden all the good spots in the south east pretty much, that area was the last one on the list. I've yet to hit it, but i'll be making it this season atleast a few times.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
No Tantrum Meltdown's? What about Outburst? hmm. dang, those are the future! If you don't own one already or have one on order then you are stuck in the past mannnn

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Where do you live? I am in the suburbs to the north of Atlanta, and my buddies in my riding group just hit Pisgah/Bailey/Dupont/Asheville area trails for the first time about 2/3 months ago and were just massively blown away. We have ridden all the good spots in the south east pretty much, that area was the last one on the list. I've yet to hit it, but i'll be making it this season atleast a few times.
I'm in NC. Used to live up there. Pisgah has the gnarliest trails you'll find in the South East. It's a must for anyone who loves roots, rocks, and greasy wet steeps. And it's cooler weather wise up in them thar hills than HotLanta.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
No Tantrum Meltdown's? What about Outburst? hmm. dang, those are the future! If you don't own one already or have one on order then you are stuck in the past mannnn
The graphics look like they were chosen by a contest or something. Didn't see gloss black on matte black as an option. Got to keep it real mannnn...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'm in NC. Used to live up there. Pisgah has the gnarliest trails you'll find in the South East. It's a must for anyone who loves roots, rocks, and greasy wet steeps. And it's cooler weather wise up in them thar hills than HotLanta.
Fuck has it been hot and humid. Yeah whenever we can get up a little further north on our weekend ride trips it's greatly appreciated. Even just making it to Chattanooga to ride Raccoon Mountain you can notice the humidity isn't as bad.

The graphics look like they were chosen by a contest or something. Didn't see gloss black on matte black as an option. Got to keep it real mannnn...
Lol that fuckin guy is an imbecile. I can't believe he, as a business owner and bike manufacturer, is acting like that on a public bicycle forum. Incredible. But yeah, there are only 3 permissible colors for a bicycle IMO. Raw(polished up to a mirror-like shine), white, or black. His colors aren't the worst, although if you are going to offer some bright ass neon colors you should always offer some more subtle colors as well, but the graphics are some of the worst I've seen. The whole bike looks like an afterthought