Quantcast

I keep ruining SRAM derailleurs

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
One more SRAM question...thanks for the answers on the shifter question! But I have a long cage X9 9 speed derailleur and after a while the chain grinds away the inner cage right next to the upper pulley then the chain drops in there and off the pulley. The inner cage gets so spread out that it hits the spokes. I've replaced the inner cage twice now. Is there an adjustment I am missing that is causing this? Has anyone else seen this?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
could be a number of things. might be a bent derailler hangar (my best guess). what's your drivetrain setup? 2x9? 3x9? hardtail? full suspension?

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
could be a number of things. might be a bent derailler hangar (my best guess). what's your drivetrain setup? 2x9? 3x9? hardtail? full suspension?
The hanger looks OK. But it's a 3X9 setup on an '08 Iron Horse MKIII. And the derailleur itself is almost new. I replaced it thinking that there was something wrong with it but it just started again with the new one...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Take a picture of it on the bike in both the highest and lowest gears?

Are you cross-chaining it or whatever? Does the grinding occur in any particular gear (high/low end)?

How does the chain line look in the middle ring?

Might try getting a new hanger, sometimes they look straight but are bent or twisted.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The hanger looks OK. But it's a 3X9 setup on an '08 Iron Horse MKIII. And the derailleur itself is almost new. I replaced it thinking that there was something wrong with it but it just started again with the new one...
hard to determine actual alignment of a hanger just visually. i've had a number of them look fine. but when checked, they were off.