Quantcast

I know nothing about road bikes....

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
...so I need your help. I've been given the green light to get a road bike. :) So, that being said, here are the bikes I'm looking at right now. Opinions/thoughts/comments on them? Help me make a decision here. I'm kind of locked into these due to my budget and the fact that these are carried by the shop that sponsors me, hence I can get a killer deal on them. Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: Obviously I will get fitted prior to putting $ on the table.

FRAME Reynolds 520 double-butted chromoly main tubes, double tapered cromo stays, extended head tube with reinforced collars, forged dropouts with single eyelets.

FORK Carbon fiber unicrown with chromo steerer, forged dropouts.
HEADSET Aheadset, alloy cap, 1 1/8”.
WHEELSET Alex AKX R1.0 wheelset, 700c, 28H radial front/ 32H 3X rear, sealed alloy hubs, 14g stainless steel spokes.
TIRES Hutchinson Flash, 700 x 23C.
DERAILLEURS Shimano Sora GS rear, Sora 28.6mm band clamp front.
SHIFTERS Shimano Sora Dual Control STI, 27-speed
CHAIN KMC IG31.
FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-850, 8-speed, 12-26.
CRANKSET TruVativ IsoFlow Road, 52/42/30,
165mm (47),
170mm (50, 53),
175mm (55 - 62).
BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Sealed Cartridge, 68 x 113mm.
PEDALS Touring platform, alloy cage/alloy body with toe clips.
BRAKESET Tektro dual pivot calipers, with Shimano Sora STI levers and Tektro safety levers.
HANDLEBAR Ritchey BioMax II Road,
400mm (47, 50),
420mm (53 - 57),
440mm (59, 62).
STEM Ritchey Pro Adjustable,
80mm (47 - 53),
100mm (55 - 57),
120mm (59, 62).
GRIPS Jamis cork tape.
SEATPOST Ritchey Road, 250mm x 27.2mm, with cromo seatpin.
SADDLE Jamis Road with SL top and satin steel rails.
SIZES 47, 50, 53, 55, 57, 59, 62cm
COLORS Platinum/Gloss Black
WEIGHT 23.75 lbs

FRAME Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum with carbon fiber seat stays,
sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger.

FORK Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
HEADSET Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”
WHEELSET Formula XR6 wheelset, 25mm profile rim with CNC sidewalls, 20/24H, 2X front & rear.
DERAILLEURS Shimano Tiagra rear, Tiagra 31.8mm band clamp front.
SHIFTERS Shimano Tiagra Dual Control STI, 18-speed
CHAIN KMC Z9000.
FREEWHEEL Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 12-25.
CRANKSET TruVativ Touro Compact, 50-36,
165mm (48),
170mm (51 - 54),
175mm (56 – 61).
BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Powerspline, 68 x 108mm.
PEDALS N/A.
BRAKESET Tektro dual pivot calipers, with Shimano Tiagra STI levers.
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30 Road,
400mm (48 – 51, 48L – 54L),
420mm (54 - 56),
440mm (56 – 61).
STEM Easton EA30 Road (±6°),
90mm (48 – 54 M & L),
105mm (56),
120mm (58 - 61).
GRIPS Jamis gel tape.
SEATPOST Easton EA30 Road, 300mm x 27.2mm with alloy clamp.
SADDLE Jamis Road SL top and satin steel rails.
SIZES Men: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm
Ladies: 48, 51, 54cm
COLORS Ano Red/Ano Black or Ano White/Ano Baby Doll Blue
WEIGHT 20.50 lbs

MODEL F80
COLOR Yellow
SIZES 700c x 50,52,54,56,58,60,63
FRAME Felt 7005 F-Lite Double-butted aluminum frame w/forged dropouts and replaceable hanger
FORK FELT Carbon Fiber with 1-1/8” CrMo Steerer
HEADSET Aheadset 1-1/8” Integrated
STEM Felt ST 6061 3D Forged with 7° Rise
HANDLEBAR Felt Alloy Ergonomic Drop, Ø31.8mm
SHIFTERS Shimano 105, 27-Speed
F/DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
R/DERAILLEUR Shimano 105 9-Speed or 105 10-Speed
CRANKSET FSA/RPM 3-PC Alloy, 52/42/30T
CHAIN Z9900 Silver
FREEWHEEL Shimano 9-Speed Cassette, 12-25T
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano 105 Dual Control
BRAKES Dual Pivot with New and Improved Brake Pads
SADDLE Felt Race-Lite with Carbon Injected Base and CrMo Rails
SEAT POST Felt Carbon/Alloy Micro-Adjust
F/HUB Alex AKX R2.0 Aluminum Hub, 28H
R/HUB Alex AKX R2.0 Aluminum Hub, 32H
RIMS Alex AKX R2.0 Aluminum Rim with CSW Braking Surface
TIRE Vittoria Action HSD 700x23c
SPOKES Alex AKX R2.0 Round Spokes
PEDALS Aero Aluminum Clipless Sealed Bearing Pedal with CNC CrMo Axle

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I don't presume to know much about road bikes, but I do know that 105 drivetrains are good, plus I like the yellow, so I vote for the Felt. How much does it weigh?
I'm not positive, it doesn't way on the Felt website, but my best guess would be between 19-20 lbs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'd love to try a Felt - they are dead sexy bikes with reasonable price tags... but I know nothing about them.

I've got a Jamis (though not one of the ones you mentioned - mine is a Quest). I love their steel frame... it rides great, and while it isn't fancy, it just gets the job done. I highly recommend Jamis steel if you aren't racing. I will say that Jamis comes up with some ugly paint schemes though.

The only thing I'd really suggest is to spring for STI. I hadn't ridden a road bike in probably 15 years before I got my Quest last summer - IMO, STI is the greatest invention since, uh... well... you get the point.

Why don't you use your sponsor's deal to get a Felt F5c in a 54cm. I'll pay you for it, then you can buy my quest... I'll cut you a good deal on it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
McGRP01 said:
I forget exactly what it stands for (single, something, index I think), but it's the way the shifters are "integrated" into the brake levers (think the road equivalent to shimano's dual control shifters). I believe it's on all Tiagra and higher stuff... not sure about campy/sram stuff.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
STI is the acronym for the indexed and integrated Shimano levers.

That Felt looks pretty good. 105 is the first level of really good stuff. Tiagra is so-so and, at least in my experience, Sora is crap. Plus, I hate the way that Sora levers feel and operate. So, I'd spring for the Felt if possible (and if it fits) but going down one step wouldn't be too bad either.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Ventura or the Felt.

Personally I'd go for the Ventura if it fits properly. Nicer frame with slightly lesser components. I have a friend with a Tiagra groupo and he has ridden the snot out of it. Not high quality, but not much worse than the 105 setup. Plus it has a compact double, Easton bar, stem, and seat post, which is sweet. Add to that the alloy steer on the fork and it is a nicer setup (and probably lighter) than the Felt.

You really can't go wrong with either bike, both are nice values and come from respectable companies, however I'd be looking at the Ventura pretty seriously. You can always upgrade parts, it is more difficult to replace the frame.

The Ito

splat

Nam I am
Off those 3 I like the felt the Best , because of the comonents. but the Jamis Satalitte , looks like the best frame , reynolds steel and all, but I don't like the Sora . Plus it is Odd that the Sora is only 8 Speed ??? is that an old model ?

And Campy's Brake lever shifting system is called ERGO :love: :love:

Not sure about sram.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'd go for the Jamis - steel frames rock, they are the most comfortable and they will last forever as long as you treat them right. The drivetrain is not bad for a first bike and you can always upgrade to 105 as the parts blowout... once you buy a frame you are pretty much stuck with it as few road bikes have any resale value.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
I've got a Jamis (though not one of the ones you mentioned - mine is a Quest).
:thumb:

The Satellite is a great bike for the price. I personally love the look. I'd only upgrade the rear derail immediately to 105, just cuz it'll hold a tune-up longer than a Sora. But other than that, I'd wait for stuff to break before replacing it.

That said, if your shop that sponsors you sells Jamis, can't you get a Quest? Isn't that a higher grade steel and higher components than the Satellite?

But whatcha doing with it?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
LordOpie said:
That said, if your shop that sponsors you sells Jamis, can't you get a Quest? Isn't that a higher grade steel and higher components than the Satellite?

But whatcha doing with it?
Yeah, they sell Jamis, Felt, oh, and Iron Horse.. The issue is budget. Even with my sponsor discount, these are at the high end right now. As for what I'll be doing with it, I'll be training on it, some group road rides, maybe a century or two a year. No racing or anything like that.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
LordOpie said:
:thumb:

I'd only upgrade the rear derail immediately to 105, just cuz it'll hold a tune-up longer than a Sora. But other than that, I'd wait for stuff to break before replacing it.
The only problem with that is that Sora is an 8sp group -- not that there is anything wrong with that and the 105 rear deraileur would work -- but if you wanted to upgrade, you would have to do everything at once: cogs, new chain, and shifters.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sora shifter:

I assume that the little knob on the side is the downshift instead of being behind the brake lever like 105, ultegra etc. Haven't tried it, but that looks annoying and being on the inside means you would have to use your thumb.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
McGRP01 said:
Yeah, they sell Jamis, Felt, oh, and Iron Horse.. The issue is budget. Even with my sponsor discount, these are at the high end right now. As for what I'll be doing with it, I'll be training on it, some group road rides, maybe a century or two a year. No racing or anything like that.
If anyone here understands about buying a bike on a budget, it's me... I mean, I get crap for buying a custom frame and putting on it, the cost-conscious 105 group.

That said, are you going to ride the bike at least 3-4x/week for the next 10 years? If so, find a way to get the Quest. I haven't looked, but I think: better steel, better components, better wheels!

Wumpus said:
Sora shifter:
I assume that the little knob on the side is the downshift instead of being behind the brake lever like 105, ultegra etc. Haven't tried it, but that looks annoying and being on the inside means you would have to use your thumb.
Actually, it's a great transition for mt.bikers who use rapid-fire. I liked it.

Wumpus said:
The only problem with that is that Sora is an 8sp group -- not that there is anything wrong with that and the 105 rear deraileur would work -- but if you wanted to upgrade, you would have to do everything at once: cogs, new chain, and shifters.
The rear derail is independent. 9spd derail will work just fine with 8spd shifter and 8spd cassette.

So, let's assume he goes with the Satellite (good choice 2nd to Quest :) )... by the time he needs to replace the brifters (aka STI, aka brake/shift levers), he'll have already replaced the chain once and will be needing to replace it again, so no extra cost there. The cassette will have good use on it, so not really a big issue with changing that out. The front derail isn't that much money anyway. And the cranks/bb won't need replacing for a while longer and don't need to be 9spd specific anyway :)

splat

Nam I am
Wumpus said:
Sora shifter:

That is the way Campy does it. and there is another lever behind the Brake lever.
your brake lever is not involved in the shift. Also all the Mechanics is inside the brake hood , not in the brake lever. so the shift cable is routed under teh handle bar tape , just like the brake cable.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
splat said:
That is the way Campy does it. and there is another lever behind the Brake lever.
your brake lever is not involved in the shift. Also all the Mechanics is inside the brake hood , not in the brake lever. so the shift cable is routed under teh handle bar tape , just like the brake cable.
One reason I don't have Campy on my cross bike. The Sora stuff looks like it would be even more difficult to shift from the drops.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
LordOpie said:
Actually, it's a great transition for mt.bikers who use rapid-fire. I liked it.
I guess I should nave went with downtube shifters since I was using thumb shifters at the time.:)

LordOpie said:
The rear derail is independent. 9spd derail will work just fine with 8spd shifter and 8spd cassette.
Isn't that what I said? Maybe it wasn't clear enough.

LordOpie said:
So, let's assume he goes with the Satellite (good choice 2nd to Quest :) )... by the time he needs to replace the brifters (aka STI, aka brake/shift levers), he'll have already replaced the chain once and will be needing to replace it again, so no extra cost there. The cassette will have good use on it, so not really a big issue with changing that out. The front derail isn't that much money anyway. And the cranks/bb won't need replacing for a while longer and don't need to be 9spd specific anyway :)
Even when I had those crappy ultegra brifters, I never had everything wear out at the same time. Hopefully the front rings are 9sp capable or you would have to change them, too. Might have to anyway with a new chain and rear cogs.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wumpus said:
One reason I don't have Campy on my cross bike. The Sora stuff looks like it would be even more difficult to shift from the drops.
I've never had any difficulty shifting anything... I remember all the objections guys made when sti came around in the early 90s or when I got integrated shifting for my MTB. Human hands are remarkable in their ability to adapt, brains and predrawn conclusions take just a little more time. :)

splat

Nam I am
Wumpus said:
You're right. I've never tried Sora so I'll keep my opinions to Campy Ergo and dual control STI levers.
also Sora and Campy are Worlds apart. as for the difference. I have riden campy for quite a while and when I built my Cyclo-cross bike this past winter , I put STI on it, I wasn't sure about it , but I figured I try it . and I have to say I was pleasently surprised. I still prefer the Campy. The hand platform is much better , and I did not like the extra wieght in the actualy brake handle , Caused it to chatter on bumpy roads. But my Fear of the brake handle moving (side to side ) while I brake and shifting while I braked were unfounded. I found while in the drops , Yes campy is more difficult to upshift , but it is much easier to down shift.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
just wanted to chime in with me prefering shimano. I only test rode a chorus bike for an hour, but I really didn't like anything about the shape, angles, texture or finish with the campy shifters.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Shimano STI=shiftable up and down from the drops and from the hoods

Campy=shift down from the drops, shift up and down from the hoods

Shimano STI > Campy :)

Shimano Sora = :nuts:

The Ito

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Campy makes some low grade components (I forget their lower end names) that are just as crappy as Sora.

I've ridden both Campy and Shimano - I've got Ultegra now, and prefer it because upshifting and downshifting use essentially the same motion. Campy's easy to use too, but Shimano gets my vote.

(my two cents.)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
LordOpie said:
just wanted to chime in with me prefering shimano. I only test rode a chorus bike for an hour, but I really didn't like anything about the shape, angles, texture or finish with the campy shifters.
Is that because of your little girlie-man hands? :oink:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I still don't understand why its so difficult for you guys to shift campy up or down from the drops... it ain't rocket science. :)

Honestly - have you ever seen anyone racing campy who changed bar positions in order to shift gears?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks to all for the help. For those who are keeping score at home and don't frequent the lounge, here's what I just pulled the trigger on. After it all boiled down, I ended up getting the best deal on this model and for what I'll be using it for, it should be perfect. I'll post some pics once it's in. Real excited!! :D

FRAME Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum with carbon fiber seat stays,
sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger.

FORK Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
HEADSET Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”
WHEELSET Formula XR6 wheelset, 25mm profile rim with CNC sidewalls, 20/24H, 2X front & rear.
DERAILLEURS Shimano Tiagra rear, Tiagra 31.8mm band clamp front.
SHIFTERS Shimano Tiagra Dual Control STI, 18-speed
CHAIN KMC Z9000.
FREEWHEEL Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 12-25.
CRANKSET TruVativ Touro Compact, 50-36
170mm (51 - 54).
BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Powerspline, 68 x 108mm.
PEDALS N/A.
BRAKESET Tektro dual pivot calipers, with Shimano Tiagra STI levers.
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30 Road,
420mm (54 - 56).
STEM Easton EA30 Road (±6°),
90mm (48 – 54 M & L).
GRIPS Jamis gel tape.
SEATPOST Easton EA30 Road, 300mm x 27.2mm with alloy clamp.
SADDLE Jamis Road SL top and satin steel rails.
SIZES Men: 54cm
COLORS Ano Red/Ano Black
WEIGHT 20.50 lbs

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Nice! - I just saw this thread. I was actually admiring that jamis the other day in the shop (yes I already have the itch for a better road bike than what I have)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
splat said:
What type of pedals ?
I'm still on the hunt for pedals right now. I'm leaning towards either the Look Keos or Crank Bros. Quattros. The shoes are super comfy and they were teh last pair they had in my size (44), so I scooped them up today. Pedals will be next. And hopefully my bike will be here sometime this year..... :rolleyes: