Quantcast

I lost my blindside

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Driving home from Pullman last night. My blindside fell off the back of my thule t2 add on rack. The entire tray infact fell off. The bike fell off between mile markers 60-47 on west bound I-90. I tried to go back and find the bike. But I was unsuccessful. If any one see's or gets a hold of a smashed up white blind side please contact me.

Specs as follows
-08 blindside with dhx 5.0 air
-07 fox 40 no stickers on the lowers
-Deemax 36 hole wheel on hadley hubs
-diabolous cranks w/ x.9
-Thomson post and stem
-Bont carbon bars
-Chris king 1.5 hs in red

This is an older image of the bike. It no longer has the sticker on the top tube. or those wheels

Thanks guys.

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
how do you know thats about where you lost it? and about where are mile markers 49-60? I'm not sure where that is, but if its close to where I drive I-90 I will take a slow drive through there and see if I can find it.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
It occured over snoqualmie pass somewhere. Looked back and saw it one minute on the rack. Looked back a few minutes later and it was gone.

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
dude that sucks.... well I don't think I'm headin over towards the seattle area for a while... if I were you I would be back over there right now looking for it....

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I'm not headed that way anytime soon, but you may want to throw a post up on craigslist. Might get a hit of someone who found it. (Or someone may go out there to find it themselves.) You could also check with the WA state patrol. Someone may have called it in and an officer got it off the road; they wouldn't have left it on the side.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I checked with both the highway patrol and Washington dot. Both said no bike had been reported found or hitting another car. Which is good news. Bad news is waiting to here from the insurance company to see what I can get for the bike.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i think i saw you driving eastbound through spokane the other day... i commented to my friend that your bike was a sex machine. sorry about your loss

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What happened to the rack that the bike fell off? I love my T2.

Pic of bike?

Pic of rack?

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Yeah I would also call Thule and rasie holy hell that their rack costg you your bike! Or...hopefully a shop installed it and you can go after them as well.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I was coming home last night down from the Pass and a WSP was in the left lane scanning the median with their searchlite. I couldn't figure out what he was doing...now I know. Must have been searching for your bike.

Just cresting the pass I saw a couple of staters stopped on the right and I thought I saw a bike along the right shoulder but it didn't look as nice as yours.

Hope you find it...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have a Sportworks rack and its seen many many trips to Whistler from Montana. Its also been up and down a lot of rough gravel roads. I better keep an eye on mine.

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Just got back from lunch and had a customer here, sorry.... tried to call you, left a message. PMed you back w/ phone and email also.

Just double checked the bike itself @ lunch, I'm 99% sure it's yours and it's in very decent shape. You'll want it back. :)

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
For anyone following this: just got a hold of Gex, he's swinging into town to get reunited with his long lost Blindside on Sunday. :cheers:

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
I work for a little ISP/telco out of the Roslyn/Cle Elum area. A long time older customer of ours came in today to check on some stuff and to visit, and she happened to mention she had a bike for sale that someone had told her was 'worth a lot of money'. She's not at all the biking type- more like a wonderful, highly amusing grandma- so I had to ask what the heck it was and how the heck she'd gotten it.

From what I'm able to decipher, she's friends w/ someone who works up on the pass, and this bike supposedly hadn't been claimed after waiting for 6 weeks. For whatever reason he'd brought to her and said she could sell it.

So after she'd left for a while, she called me back and said "It has a sticker that says 'Transition' on it." I was like "whaaaaat?" and quizzed her more... when she said "The other sticker says 'Blindside'" as I was looking on the Transition web site I just about choked. I told her that there was a limited group of people that would probably own one, and that person was probably quite interested in finding it again, and if she was willing I could see what I could do to locate the owner. She was REALLY excited about that idea- way more excited than selling it as a matter of fact.

So I threw a post out on MTBR, Borneo sent me over here, and I found this thread with a quick search on 'Blindside'. In the meantime I headed over to my customer's house at lunch and checked the bike and the rack out, although I had little doubt that we'd found The One. :)

Gex PMed me with his phone number and was able to tell me exactly what blings and dings he'd added since that pic was taken. Hopefully he'll be able to add a picture of him blissfully snoozing with it safely in his arms by next week. :D

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Is it mangles or still usable?

Cool story!
I only had a quick peek at it, but at first glance and a couple turns of the pedals it looks and feels like it will ride once again. ETA: Gex has some work to do, but that's abuse he'd already dished before it hit the pavement, lol!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I wish people in Oregon were as cool as you all are... ;)

Good news all around. Glad to help. Pay it forward Gex. :banana:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Here's a thought: how much good stuff have Wash DOT worker given away that "wasn't claimed"? Where would you even go to look for or claim something?

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Tell y'all what... let me work a 'back channel' to the DOT guys on the pass and see what I find out.

And I'll restate what I said about this particular situation on MTBR: So far this seems like failed communication more than evil intent, and the lady who has it now is just tickled to death that we managed to find the owner. I'm going to suggest passing on the word to Mr Pass Guy that if something similar comes up in the future to just get a hold of me. For now I'm willing to extend the benefit of a doubt and a chance to remain anonymous since nobody is demanding $$$.

verslowrdr

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
I've got errands to do this afternoon so I'm posting and running oft for a bit, but once Youtube gets done masticating it's stuffs you'll all be able to see a crappy video of an awesome reunion. :cheers:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
3 "dudes" and a Gex who looks like he might just need to change his shorts now.

I am truly stunned that the bike is in that good of shape after falling off the back of a moving car ontyhe freeway. Stunned.

Lost my cell phone on a ride today. Went home and got the wife's phone so I could call my phone along the way riding the loop again. Found the cell phone.
Some times karma ain't a b!tch I guess.

This is the kind of good stuff that reaffirms my faith too. Stoked to see Gex so excited. Double check that rack attachnment next time! :)

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Well as you can see I got the bike back!!! I'm still in shock that it was found. I went ahead and started taking it apart to see the total damage. The front and rear wheel, I thought were ok, turns out they are pretty toasted. The bars are cracked under the grip and the fork crown has a nice crack in it. The crank arm is bent. But other then that It is still alive!