Quantcast

i made a dicks mechanic cry

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
anytime someone says they made someone cry, i know the conversation didnt go as described and OP is a ****ing toolbag.

Why do people always feel the need to be superior, hes employed, youre not. advantage him. He checks your work before being hired, advantage him. See what im getting at.

You're probably short arent you?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Ahhhhh, Dick's/The Sports Authority... Similar sky-high markups as an LBS, similar (identical) product, far worse service and assembly, and yet millions of people shop there to avoid the snobbish attitudes and condescending conversations with your local IBD salesman.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Buy stuff online and ride with people who are better mechanics than you. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I don't miss PSP.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The day I run into an actual employee at Dick's in the bike department is the day I believe this story.

Seriously, the toilet (my 6 & 8 yr old girls like to mark their turf) is through that door and I've yet to even so much as meet one passing through there with a green shirt.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Buy stuff online and ride with people who are better mechanics than you. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
:stupid:

I love to support local bike shops (or any businesses) but they rarely have what I'm looking for in stock.

Also some of our local bike shop techs need to work on their people skills.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also some of our local bike shop techs need to work on their people skills.
I bet you say the same thing about the folks at the coffee shop. At least I do. :rofl:

I made a new guy feel stupid. I was in the shop I used to frequent when I lived closer checking out the new Kona line. This kid comes over trying to help, I guess. Was a real douche thinking I might not know anything being old and stuff. Just as he was starting to really piss me off, the owner walked in and gave me a huge welcome. He comes over and asks "Is he helping you out ok?" I respond, "Not really, but I guess he must be new around here".

The kid was much more helpful after that. My first taxed job was at Bilson's Sport Shop, like Dicks only smaller, local, and suckier. I know how much people suck, but you still need to be less dickish.

But I wasn't expected to know much, either.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I thought that this thread was about something else?? I was all excited that I might be able to relate to someone here on the same level. Oh well I was wrong. My dick is crying..... He is rather lonely... I am all out of wash clothes until I do laundry to compound the problem....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Are bike parts make specific, or can they be upgraded?
Anything that can be heated up with a torch until it is glowing and thusly be used by a fraternity meathead to brand a prospective member in an elaborate ceremony can be replaced or upgraded.... I think it's called hazing....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Are bike parts make specific, or can they be upgraded?
On bikes under say.... $2,000 they're not make specific and anything can be upgraded. If you keep the parts the same it's usually a relatively simple upgrade (going from one set of disc brakes to another, for instance), but if you're trying to change something (going from V-brakes to discs, for example) then you can run into compatibility problems.

But no, bike parts are not make-specific, even if they have the manufacturer's name pad-printed on them. ;-)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
On bikes under say.... $2,000 they're not make specific and anything can be upgraded. If you keep the parts the same it's usually a relatively simple upgrade (going from one set of disc brakes to another, for instance), but if you're trying to change something (going from V-brakes to discs, for example) then you can run into compatibility problems.

But no, bike parts are not make-specific, even if they have the manufacturer's name pad-printed on them. ;-)
That's what I meant. Thanks for getting my back....

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I went to the local big box store the other day. Good place to find hot deals, tools and small parts. Also cool Euro cycling clothing if thats you thing (I dig it...). Took a single speed rear wheel in to see if they could pull the bearings for me...guy looks at it and says "What kind of bike is this from?"
I say "A single speed..."
He says "No, what brand?"
Me "A Kona...but thats got nothing to do with it."
He "We cant work on it. We dont handle Kona"

I walk away thinking thanks for not working on my stuff. It probably would have spontaneously combusted if he had...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I thought that this thread was about something else?? I was all excited that I might be able to relate to someone here on the same level. Oh well I was wrong. My dick is crying..... He is rather lonely... I am all out of wash clothes until I do laundry to compound the problem....
Sooooo....... Do something about it

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I went to the local big box store the other day. Good place to find hot deals, tools and small parts. Also cool Euro cycling clothing if thats you thing (I dig it...). Took a single speed rear wheel in to see if they could pull the bearings for me...guy looks at it and says "What kind of bike is this from?"
I say "A single speed..."
He says "No, what brand?"
Me "A Kona...but thats got nothing to do with it."
He "We cant work on it. We dont handle Kona"

I walk away thinking thanks for not working on my stuff. It probably would have spontaneously combusted if he had...
You should take it back there again so just say it's from some bike that you bought there. See if the guy still refuses to work on it.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I used to bring my Karpiel Apocalypse into my LBS every so often. Was funny to watch their head's explode... (Two shocks, WTF?)

The gruffest roadie mechanic there loved it though...he would ride it off curbs and just laugh.

I only had them work on it once - they routed the chain around the chainguide, instead of through it. Nice guys for the most part though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Adult trikes and recumbents are the only thing that made me cry. It is almost impossible to work on either of those things without hurting yourself..... That and the folks who typically own them are usually the special customers who know the owner.... Customers never made my dick cry. In fact I operate under the guise that it is never a good idea to involve your penis in anything to do with a customer unless her name is Monella. Safe words must always be used then.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ahhhhh, Dick's/The Sports Authority... Similar sky-high markups as an LBS, similar (identical) product, far worse service and assembly, and yet millions of people shop there to avoid the snobbish attitudes and condescending conversations with your local IBD salesman.
no ****.
i have a female friend who wants a "real bike" for her 13yo son... yet she is intimidated by bike shop people snobbishness and condescendance.