Quantcast

I made bagels lastnight.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Pretty simple but so damm tastey.

I found a basic recipe on the web then added my own ingrediants.

I used our bread machine to mix the ingrediants but next time will probably just do it by hand.
salt, sugar, yeast, water, flour and oil are the basic ingrediants. then I threw in a handfull of finely chopped onions and let the machine mix the stuff up.

after an hour I cut the dough in half, added chopped jalapenos to one half of the dough and made eight roundish balls. I poked my finger into the center and flattened the dough balls into bagelish shapes.

then I dumped them four at a time into almost boiling water. I found a few different recipes and some said use boiling water and some said use almost boiling water.....

the bagels sank to the bottom of the water pan but after about 1 minute, they rose to the top. I removed them from the water and wiped the tops down with an egg wash.

then I plopped them onto the bread/pizza stone I had in the oven. the oven was sat at 450 so the stone was very hot. this makes the bottoms of the bagels crispy.

after 10 minutes, I cranked the oven up to broil and gave em another minute to brown the tops nicely.

Yum Yum Yum. sorry, no pictures. maybe next time...

I made 8 bagels and there are only two left. I'm eating one right now, onion and jalapeno.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i was just talking about making bagels the other day. you have inspried me to give it a try. tn loves em and he woould especially love fresh bagels. did the dough rise for an hour or did the machine mix it for an hour. i dont have a bread machine but i got a badass kitchen aid mixer and i am trying to use it every chance i get. i have never baked anything that had t rise only quick breads cakes and cookies. is it difficult?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it's pretty easy if you have kitchen experience. You should have no trouble.

as for the bread machine question. I really only use it as a mixer. it has a 'dough' setting on it. if you select it, instead of the 'bread' setting, it sets a timer and mixes the dough, heats it so the yeast gets all happy and then smashes it down once it has risen. normally when I use the bread machine for pizza dough (I never cook bread in it, just dough) I make it in the morning then come back hours later. this time I actually pulled the dough out before the timer was up.

if I had a mixer like you have or even if I just did it with a wooden spoon and a bowl, I would first mix the yeast in warm water (not too hot or you'll kill the yeast, 100 degrees is fine or lukeish warm) and some sugar to get it going. then mix all the ingrediants in the bowl, throw in the yeast, mix and cover it with a wet towel. some people use plastic wrap.....

then place the bowl someplace warm for an hour or so. what you could do is turn on the oven for five minutes so it's warm. not hot, not enough to cook anything just warmer then it may be anywhere else in your house. 70 degrees or so is fine.

when we used to make bread when I was a kid, we punched the dough down more then once. because bagels are ment to be chewy, you don't need to do this. just let it rise once, then shape them. let them rise a bit (15 minutes or so) after you shape them, then into the water with them.

the key is the bread/pizza stone. don't have one? go to the tile store and get an uncoated tile that is about 1/2 inch thick. place it in your oven when you turn it on to 450 or so.

I'll be doing this again soon, maybe even tonight. I'll take pictures.....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Snacks said:
Yeast makes me nervous!

I know a girl who is alergic to yeast. but she didn't know it for a long time....
bread and beer would really mess her up.:blah:

yeast is your friend.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
made more last night...... :evil:

ingrediants, ready and waiting.

big blob of dough. this has risen once and is ready to become bagels.

ball shaped dough, ready for holes.

Holy Bagel! ready for the water bath.

near boiling water. bagels sit here for about 2 minutes, one minute per side.

coated with the egg wash, ready for toppings.

after 15 minutes in the oven. 450, then I brought it up to broil for the last minute to get the tops nice and brown.

cooling, waiting to be consumed.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Those look really good. Ever mix some finely diced jalapeno's in with the cream cheese, too? I love onion bagels and jalapeno cream cheese. Do they keep for a couple of days before they get hard, or do you have to eat like 3 a day? :confused:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
berkshire_rider said:
Those look really good. Ever mix some finely diced jalapeno's in with the cream cheese, too? I love onion bagels and jalapeno cream cheese. Do they keep for a couple of days before they get hard, or do you have to eat like 3 a day? :confused:

I usually buy pre made cream cheese that is already flavored. often I just put butter on them though. you can get some VERY tastey cream cheese that ISN'T Kraft brand, so I'll do that when I get cream cheese. roasted garlic, jalapeno, etc.

they do keep fairly well if you keep them wrapped up like you would any other bread. but, they never last because they taste so damm good. bring a few to work, they get devoured, wife eats them, etc.

fresh bread never lasts. it tastes too damm good.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wow, a year later and I'm making bagels again.....

two big ass batches today.