Quantcast

I need a good pre and post ride meal

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
What are good pre and post ride meals for Mountain Biking. I ride mostly singletrack, a little technical with some good climbs. My usual ride is 2 to 3 hours or about 10-20 miles. Are there good meals for energy and recovery?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Always take in alot of carbs before a ride like that.. and make sure you take in some sort carbohydrate like Gu or Gatorade or a bar after the first hour of your ride and have a meal that combines protein and carbs after your ride....as far as what .. hmmm depends on what ya like:D

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I suggest a healthy dose of Sausage and Bacon. You get all you need from these two food groups. A new one I was turned on to is Tofu, wrapped in Bacon. Great source of protien. :monkey:

(Pasta is one of my Favorite night before meals. I usually don't eat too much in the morning before the ride because I puke up stuff like bannanas and apple juice. Grape nuts are good in the morning.) :D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

and has the consistency of snot.
I'll never look at my Cliff Shot the same way ever again:(

you're right though... except that the gel tastes better:D

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by Scotty
What are good pre and post ride meals for Mountain Biking. I ride mostly singletrack, a little technical with some good climbs. My usual ride is 2 to 3 hours or about 10-20 miles. Are there good meals for energy and recovery?
Here's a good article about sports nutrition by Ed Burke who happens to be a cyclist. A very good article overall. Pages 8 and 10 give you foods and meals.

http://www.outsidemag.com/magazine/200105/200105body1.html

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
That article rocks. After looking at some of the foods to eat at the end of the article it appears that some of it is already in my diet which is cool. Have you guys ever tried that Endurox R4 stuff?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I've tried the R4 stuff. Seems to do pretty well and not as expensive as some of the other stuff. Performance recently had it on sale. I like Citomax for during the ride recovery on epics.

I definitely think getting some carbs and protein in you immediately after the ride helps your recovery. Whether it is R4 or just regular food.