Quantcast

I need a legal hack

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
My school began using Adobe ebooks. Now that in and of itself is OK, but it limits what I can cut and past for reports, and only lets me print 10 pages at a shot. The worst part is that it is not portable and expires in 120 days. And it only will work on the PC it was downloaded on. there is no way to load it into my PDA, so, what is the exploit I need to remove these limitations

Now, I pay for the rights to use these books and I own it, and want the rights to do so. So what is the hack or exploit?

And yes, I pay for these books legally.

Thanks in advanced.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Check out Bittorrent, if there is something out it will be there.

EDIT - Make sure your AV software is up to date though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
"Check out Bittorrent" is pretty vague since Bittorrent isn't a service like Limewire where you just log in and search.

I would download this Bittorrent client:

http://www.utorrent.com/

And I do many of my searches on:

http://www.torrentreactor.net

I'll give more Torrent searching links when I get home.

As far as the eBooks thing goes, I think that may be a specific restriction of the eBook file. I'll take a peek when I get home to find out some more information, since I'm sure there's a way to break them, but I'm not sure how much Bittorrent is going to be helpful with since you gotta know what to download.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
habitatxskate said:
:stupid: he is right..no legal hacks.
That's not true at all.

Just because it's an unsupported, or even discouraged way of dealing with a problem doesn't mean it's illegal.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
That's not true at all.

Just because it's an unsupported, or even discouraged way of dealing with a problem doesn't mean it's illegal.

As far as I have always known, the use of the word "hack" usually points to somthing illegal.........:think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
As far as I have always known, the use of the word "hack" usually points to somthing illegal.........:think:
Hack is often used in reference to non-illegal activities. It often times simply refers to an undocumented/unsupported/unintended way of doing something to/with your software.

Software developers in particular use it quite a lot. Especially for ugly but effective writing jobs, e.g. "I couldn't write that math function in cleanly so I had to hack it into one of my other subroutines".

To be honest, I'm not even sure this thing that sk6 is trying to do with his eBook files is illegal. The 10 page printing limit, for instance. You can print 10 pages at a shot, which means eventually, you could print the whole book. I really don't know how illegal it would be to muck with the software and allow full access; I suppose it depends on what the software agreement says.

SK6, being a law guy, want to chime in?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
we get into an issue of rights, or licensure. Right now with music, and software, Digital Rights Management (DRM) has been skewed in favor of the vendors, meaning the rights one is afforded when purchasing an e-book, or downloads from sites like Napster and I tunes is limiting, so much so that the consumer has very little rights.

The process is still being debated, but until then, in my particular instance, I need to use a legal hack to gain proper rights to material that was legally gained.

That was a REAL short synopsis, but you get the point. BV was right on the money.