Quantcast

I need new pedals

intermision

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
Texas
I cracked one of my pedals on the Giant Boulder and figured I might as well upgrade. What are some good clipless peals?

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
yea! get the egg beaters c they are chep and they are real good
more than have the pros use them

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
the egg beaters are real easy to get in and out, just like all the pedals you will have to get use to them but i love my pedals the cheap pair of them are like $85.00 so that is not bad and you can find them cheaper and 95% of the pros use them.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I second the Shimano deal. You can get a decent pair to start out for under $70, then you need some shoes (probably $50-70) and you'll be set.

They are easy to get into/out of which is key. Also you can always find parts for them as their cleats are all the same I believe. Crank Bro's is a major brand but some shops might not have any as 90% of bikes spec'ed with clipless pedals are shimano. Plus they have decent shoes that don't break the bank.

Check out Pricepoint.com as they have shoes/pedals in a combo deal. You may want to go get sized for them as they run in euro sizes and I found that my SPD shoe size isn't exact to my regular shoe size. You don't want the shoes to be all floppy on your feet as it will make clipping in and out funny. Any semi-decent shop should be able to point you in the right direction on this stuff.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
If you are just starting out using clipless I would suggest this as the best pedal to use as it's the best of both worlds.

I suggest them for this reason. Some people will tell you to use the ones that are clip only and no platform. BUT, in most cases, they came with their bike. Mine did too. Only I sold mine right away. Once I got comfortable riding, I bought a pair of these, shimano M646's but these are the 545's. You can find them at Cambriabike.com or Pricepoint I believe. Also try performancebike.com or just google it or use nextag.com to search the best price.

The reason I suggest it is this. Not everyone likes being clipped in. I only use clips to hold me in on uphills. I always clip out down hill. Reason being is this. Jumping, you don't need them. You use them to power up hill. Downhill you don't need to pull up stroke. Secondly they give you a platform to rest your foot on wider and better to set on than a strictly clip pedal. In my case, I have falling going down hill fast and when I fall, I want my bike NO where near me. Falling clipped in is NO fun. Although I've learned to clip out in a hurry, the first few times are not fun. So as a rule I clip out downhill and most of the time until I see a good hill coming. If it has a bunch of roots or slippery mud, I clip out too. As being clipped in going slow you slip one second and the bike stops uphill and you wind up trying to put your foot down and can't get it out in time and you fall back a little and over. I prefer to keep upright.

Lastly, the shoes I use have several positions to place my clips. I put mine as far forward as they'll go. Reason, when I ride and you probably too, you normally rest your foot pedal in the center of your foot from front to heel. So when cliping in, you press the toe of your foot down and your front of your foot is clipped in and when you clip out, with the clip up front of the shoe, you have no chance of accidently clipping in when you put your foot down on the pedal as the clip is up front and most people like yourself have your foot centered over the pedal thus you won't be accidently locking your foot in when you press down just before a jump take off or a technical section where your front tire may lock into a rock and you go over the bars. I'd rather be out than in. So thus the reason I used the platform type clip pedals. And when I need them up hill I just put my two in and it gives me a nice stretch as well. Hope that my opinion helps.

Try that model out, you won't be dissapointed.

Also I suggest as someone did to me, a soft mtb shoe. Don't get the hard ones. I bought a Shimano's that looked like this. Only difference is mine have a velcro strap to go over the stings. They stopped that on this pair but it's the same pair. These are indestructable. I get them really muddy each year and once in a while I remove the insert, and take a hose, softscrub and a brush to the me, clean them up, and leave them out in the sun to dry and then relace 'em and they've been with me for like five years.

I paid like $89 bucks for mine a few years back. Now they're like $49. That's a good deal. Check your shoe size as they are cut small. I'm an 8.5 and I think I got 43 euro and they've always been a hair tight. Next pair will be 44 or 45 for me. You can send them back if they don't fit too. These are SHIMANO SH-M034 shoes. Cambriabike.com has these.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

"the blue thing"

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
I've been happy with my Shimano PD-M647pedals. However, I use these for Trail riding and DH. These are dual-sided and cleat tension adjustable. They're a little pricy; however having a platform is nice when you just need something to stand on. At 552g, they're lighter than most similar styles with alloy cages. However, if you're looking for a clipless pedal for commuting, then I would suggest something else. I would recommend for you to determine your riding needs and then consider a style of pedals. IMO, I would not use eggbeaters on the trail.

7CS

Chimp
Jul 15, 2006
Ventura County
I had my first experience with Crank Bros this week, they are gone from my bike now. The lack of adjustment doesn't suit me. I run Shimanos really loose so they just hold in basically when my foot is straight on the pedal, and come out very easy. I got a set of platforms to test out for now, but I'm keeping my Shimanos and putting those Crank Bros on a bike I'm selling.

The Shimano 545s, which Chunky Munkey illustrated, are good pedals and you can use them without special shoes for those off-the-cuff runs when you don't feel like changing from your street shoes.

Chunky Munkey said:
If you are just starting out using clipless I would suggest this as the best pedal to use as it's the best of both worlds.

I suggest them for this reason. Some people will tell you to use the ones that are clip only and no platform. BUT, in most cases, they came with their bike. Mine did too. Only I sold mine right away. Once I got comfortable riding, I bought a pair of these, shimano M646's but these are the 545's. You can find them at Cambriabike.com or Pricepoint I believe. Also try performancebike.com or just google it or use nextag.com to search the best price.

The reason I suggest it is this. Not everyone likes being clipped in. I only use clips to hold me in on uphills. I always clip out down hill. Reason being is this. Jumping, you don't need them. You use them to power up hill. Downhill you don't need to pull up stroke. Secondly they give you a platform to rest your foot on wider and better to set on than a strictly clip pedal. In my case, I have falling going down hill fast and when I fall, I want my bike NO where near me. Falling clipped in is NO fun. Although I've learned to clip out in a hurry, the first few times are not fun. So as a rule I clip out downhill and most of the time until I see a good hill coming. If it has a bunch of roots or slippery mud, I clip out too. As being clipped in going slow you slip one second and the bike stops uphill and you wind up trying to put your foot down and can't get it out in time and you fall back a little and over. I prefer to keep upright.

Lastly, the shoes I use have several positions to place my clips. I put mine as far forward as they'll go. Reason, when I ride and you probably too, you normally rest your foot pedal in the center of your foot from front to heel. So when cliping in, you press the toe of your foot down and your front of your foot is clipped in and when you clip out, with the clip up front of the shoe, you have no chance of accidently clipping in when you put your foot down on the pedal as the clip is up front and most people like yourself have your foot centered over the pedal thus you won't be accidently locking your foot in when you press down just before a jump take off or a technical section where your front tire may lock into a rock and you go over the bars. I'd rather be out than in. So thus the reason I used the platform type clip pedals. And when I need them up hill I just put my two in and it gives me a nice stretch as well. Hope that my opinion helps.

Try that model out, you won't be dissapointed.

Also I suggest as someone did to me, a soft mtb shoe. Don't get the hard ones. I bought a Shimano's that looked like this. Only difference is mine have a velcro strap to go over the stings. They stopped that on this pair but it's the same pair. These are indestructable. I get them really muddy each year and once in a while I remove the insert, and take a hose, softscrub and a brush to the me, clean them up, and leave them out in the sun to dry and then relace 'em and they've been with me for like five years.

I paid like $89 bucks for mine a few years back. Now they're like $49. That's a good deal. Check your shoe size as they are cut small. I'm an 8.5 and I think I got 43 euro and they've always been a hair tight. Next pair will be 44 or 45 for me. You can send them back if they don't fit too. These are SHIMANO SH-M034 shoes. Cambriabike.com has these.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

"the blue thing"

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I would go with the times(any) or the crank bro. candys first or the eggbeaters second.If you need a big platform look at the mallets.

both the time and the crank bro. are much easier to clip into because you have a muvh wider platform for the front of the cleat to make contact with.and also better float.More float then with the shimano.
:agree:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
capt.crispy said:
I would go with the times(any) or the crank bro. candys first or the eggbeaters second.If you need a big platform look at the mallets.

both the time and the crank bro. are much easier to clip into because you have a muvh wider platform for the front of the cleat to make contact with.and also better float.More float then with the shimano.
:agree:
I have to second the comments on the Crank Bros. I started riding on flats and thought I would NEVER run clipless, but started running the Mallet C's on my commuter (I wanted the big platform because I was just starting with them). I started running them on my BMX this year, and now I'm trying them out on my DH bike. I'm still undecided about them on the DH bike, because I do ride skinnies and stunts on it, but for normal DH trails and jumps I love the clipless so far. I like the amount of float they have and how its impossible to unclip when pulling straight up. I think I've only unclipped once or twice so far because of bashing my foot on a rock.

I have two pairs of Candy C's and one pair of Mallet C's right now. :thumb:

novarider

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Northern VA
IMHO go with the shimano 520s. you'll love the adjustable tension release. and you can get them ebay new for like $25-30. once again IMHO the best bargain out there.

others whine that they dont shed mud well, but it sounds like you arent riding in mud.

elisdad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2006
Illinois
Don't get the Performance brand pedals that they sell in their shop. I got them as my first pair of clipless pedals and the exterior housing on the back of my right pedal cracked and broke after a year. I'm a pretty tame rider in that I don't push my bike too hard, but I do hit rocks or logs with my pedals from time to time. Due to this failure I lost the tension screw on my right pedal and rode with only my left foot clipped in for the better part of my ride last weekend. I was given a pair of Shimano m545s by a friend and I've used them on my other bike for a while now, I guess they're going on my main bike for now, until I decide if I need platforms while I'm trail riding or not. I've been tempted by teh eggbeaters, but I'm sticking with SPDs for now.

To sum it up... stay away from the house brand pedals at Performance.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Time ATAC.
third vote for Time.

I've run SPDs, Eggbeaters, and now Time ATAC.

1. easy step in
2. clears mud/dirt really well (SPD's not so good for this)
3. easy out as well (I've been "trapped" in Eggbeaters)
4. almost anything with ATAC in the name, I wanna be a part of.
Grrrr.

Cyber

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
The Shimano 545s, which Chunky Munkey illustrated, are good pedals and you can use them without special shoes for those off-the-cuff runs when you don't feel like changing from your street shoes.
Same reason why i got them - I have had em for a week now, fell off 8 times because i stoped and could not unclip:poster_oops:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Same reason why i got them - I have had em for a week now, fell off 8 times because i stoped and could not unclip:poster_oops:
To facilitate clip-in/out:
1. Shimano pedals - loosen the spring tension
So if you look at the pedal (even the one in the image) you can see a 3-ish mm hex bolt. You have 8-9 clicks to the left to loosen the spring tension and 8-9 clicks to the right to tighten the spring tension.

Every pedal has two hex bolts - be sure they are all tightened/loosened the same.

2. Coat the cleat contact area of the pedal with White Lightning or a similar wet lube.

General rules for running clips:
1. Learn to trackstand.
2. Always clip out before stopping (I know this is not possible on the trail)
3. Always clip out on both sides (until you're so comfortable it doesn't matter).

Hang in there!!! It DOES get better!

Cyber

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
Sry to highjack the thread, but thanks for the info

I did not know you could adjust the pedals :disgust: now i know why it was so fking hard to unclip

Also what is trackstand

IM a NooB to MTB :biggrin:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Also what is trackstand
How I learned:
1. If at all possible, learn on flat pedals. It's easier to bail off flat pedals, till you get the hang of it.

2. Just as SS said, stand on your pedals by putting your pedals level and balancing on two wheels.

3. Find a nice grassy or sandy area area. This will be less painful when you fall. Prepare to bail or fall.
OR
In the street, try to go as slowly as you possibly can, keeping your pedals level, making minute movements forward, and using the brakes.

4. Most people use their dominant leg forward. It's great to be able to trackstand with either foot forward, but when you first start, choose a foot and practice that one forward.

5. Game for yourself: Draw a line in chalk on the street, then draw another line several yards down the street. Practice "slow racing" yourself or a friend. Neighboorhood 10-year-olds are good for this. Whoever gets there last wins.

6. Pracitce, practice, practice.

:biggrin:

Y

yadadada

I got the Crank Bro Candy SL. It's a GREAT pedal. You still have some platform to stand on if you don't get clipped in or don't want to be, but the egg beater design sheds mud and I can always get clipped in. They are a great pedal. I've used Shimano's before, and I'm not a huge fan. I've had issues with them, and if you get any mud on your shoes, you won't get into them.