Quantcast

I need new tires

dok9874

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Houston, Texas
I've been riding a road bike since August. Specialized Allez fitted with Specialized Mondo Comp, 700 x 23c Kevlar bead tires. I've had three flats already. The roads I ride are not particularly rough or debris strewn (city roads or highway - all clean and even pavement), and I'm a petite person. Last flat, the guys helping me out commented how thin the tires were, and since I'm tired of having flats, I decided I want to buy some sturdier tires. They said "buy them online - they're cheaper".

I have no freakin' clue what to buy. I was riding 150 - 200 miles a week, have since pared that down since doing a century in mid-October, but would like to start bumping it back up again.

Suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune, but at this rate, I'll need to buy tubes by the dozen!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
hutchinson USPS replicas with the kevlar strip under the thread, customers been havin a lot of luck on those i just cant recall the name at the moment, they have blue stripes on the sidewall

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have 700x23 Vittoria Rubino Pros on my road bike and have had 2 flats in about a year of heavy road riding...Check into those.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I have some specialized all condition tires and they seem to work well, had them for a few months, and no flats, and they are cheap too

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
The Specialized All Condition tires are definetely a great way to go. The issue that you maybe having with the Mondo tires is that they are designed to be thinner on the bottom of the tire while being thicker on the side walls. These were designed like motorcycle racing tires so when you're cornering you will have a thicker surface. These tires are great in races like Crits but not necessarily for normal everyday riding. The Specialized Armadillo tires will give you more protection against items puncturing the tire.

I hope this helps.