Quantcast

I need some advice on technique

Sep 10, 2001
Vancouver, BC
I'm just getting into dirt jumping. My question is, after you hit the first jump in a rythm section, how do you keep going. I just find that after landing the first jump, I'm never ready to keep going. Any advice?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
start with small jumps - 2' or less - and with a four-pack. Keep practicing them until you can do them in your sleep. Then add a 3rd set and work on hitting bigger jumps.

The secret is to pump down the landing of the first jump and carry speed into hte next jump(s). Done correctly, you can actually gain speed and jump higher and farther. THis is why when you see long rhythm sections the jumps usually get bigger as they go along.

I'm in there with you... still learning... but it's a ton of fun!:thumb:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
...and relax! Being stiff and rigid on the bike will kill your speed and flow.

I guess another part of making that second jump is hitting the first with confidence, taking for granted you will clear it. Be looking at the second jump before you land the first.

Of course, practice and be comfortable with the first jump.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Daniel(Canada)
I'm just getting into dirt jumping. My question is, after you hit the first jump in a rythm section, how do you keep going. I just find that after landing the first jump, I'm never ready to keep going. Any advice?
I would say just keep riding and focus on nose-diving and learning how to pump through the rhythm section.....You will get it with time,be patient and don't rush it....a full face helmet is always a good idea when learning rhythm....JMO.....D

S

seth399

ya, you need to land in a certain spot with certain positioning. If you overjump/underjump, your gonna have alot of trouble continuing. Basically you just gotta learn sizing up jumps and hitting them perfect so you can rythem them. nice arc in the air and nose down even with the landing angle, no slapping down. Good luck and take it slow, bmx bikes arent forgiving when the jumps grow in size;)

Sep 10, 2001
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by seth399
ya, you need to land in a certain spot with certain positioning. If you overjump/underjump, your gonna have alot of trouble continuing. Basically you just gotta learn sizing up jumps and hitting them perfect so you can rythem them. nice arc in the air and nose down even with the landing angle, no slapping down. Good luck and take it slow, bmx bikes arent forgiving when the jumps grow in size;)
I'm on a Bighit, if that matters.

downgrade

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Rochester Hills, Michigan
what you need to do is pump the landing with your arms and legs. it sounds like you are losing speed when you land. to pump the landing you use mostly arms and some legs to forcefully push the bike down just as you crest over the lip of the landing. it helps if you pick your feet up(with the bike) so the rear tire dosen't case the landing while your in the air and also if you nose into the landing(pushing the bars forward.) you will actually accelerate off the landing and into the next jump with more speed.