Quantcast

I need some feedback...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I think part of the problem is the "cruiser" moniker. I'll always know a big BMX as a cruiser, but most people think of the old rusty fat seat bike their grandma gets groceries on when someone mentions a cruiser.
I agree with that. I think young bmxers also have a negative stigma associated with that word.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ben @ odyssey posted the goods on BG. cru was spot on. sounds cool...

Model C "Cruiser"
21" TT
13.75" BB Height (Really Aggresssive and rides like a 20")
15.368"-15.25" Slammed Rear Length
74.5° Headtube Angle

The Cruiser is far from a retirement bike. We wanted to do a 24" that rode like a BMX and not a Segway. I think anyone that gives this frame a try will not be disappointed.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
my eastern dj4 has a rather high BB (on 26s). I like it... not sure about the CS length on the new Sunday, but the other #s look good.

dhallilama

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Don't know how i missed this post... as a modern geo 24" cruiser is exactly what i want, and the root of my frustration comes from the fact that nobody makes one, other than going full custom built.
everything on the market now is re-hashed old geo with long chain stays and either ultra-light race (read: can't drop to flat), or shoddy quality (read: can't drop to flat, and heavy).

i've talked with a few companies that do custom BMX bikes... the price isn't too bad for what you get, but there is a significant turn around time (a couple months in some cases), there's no warranty, the geo is up to you.... meaning there's no prototype, no testing other than the one you shell out $ for and ride.

i've come to realize that my choices are either go full custom and have a frame built to my specs.... or build one myself. i've built bike and motorcycle frames, have done aerospace tig for quite a while, and can fabricate... but what i can't do is come up with enough extra free time. older, have kids, mortgage, career, etc... i'd be happy if there was a frame i could just go buy. really, really happy.

i'd suspect that there are a lot of dudes in my shoes... mid to late 30s, refuse to grow up (whatever the hell that means), have enough disposable income and can finally afford the things they wanted when they were a broke ass teenager.
i rode tons of BMX in the 80s... had a few cool bikes, but man did i ever want a [insert whatever here] but couldn't afford it... now i'm older, and can afford stuff, but the stuff i want isn't available.

build it and they will come. or something like that.

edit: really weird... swear i've posted here before, but it shows this as being my first post.

Last edited:

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
The prototype drawings are being finalized as we speak. We'll have two protos made, then gauge the interest from there and decide if we'll make a production run.
cant wait to see it would love to have a good 24" i was gonna build up a trailking that way but this will be nicer and easier on my wallet it sounds like

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
i completely forgot to aask and didnt see it mentioned anywhere will you be making a fork to with it as well or are we on our own for that

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
make the top tube in line with the rear fork tube? similar to ur simple and that would definitly add a selling point not only visually but cant go wrong with more clearance

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
I'm holding out for this one.

The Sunday Model C will be my backup plan but I'm dead serious about getting one of the frames Cru is proposing. The street cred of one of these frames is on point.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
As much as I would love your business... I wouldn't wait on me. This is a SLOW process. And like I said, I'm not even 100% sure we'll do a production run. If we do, I'm guessing it will be at least 6 months until they're available.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
It's all good actually.

I have a shoulder that is so messed up I've dislocated it while sneezing, and while bumping uglies - so I'm up for reconstructive surgery and at least 6 months of no bike riding. I put it off all summer long so I could ride a little bit longer and recover during the winter, and an early spring bike build is in order.

It'll probably b 6 months before that Model C is available too.

Time is on my side, Sucks but true - Cru. hah.

BTW: I have an 07 NT 24 with a lowered space fork for sale, asking 350 and it's completely stock except for the half link.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Don't know how i missed this post... as a modern geo 24" cruiser is exactly what i want, and the root of my frustration comes from the fact that nobody makes one, other than going full custom built.
everything on the market now is re-hashed old geo with long chain stays and either ultra-light race (read: can't drop to flat), or shoddy quality (read: can't drop to flat, and heavy).

i've talked with a few companies that do custom BMX bikes... the price isn't too bad for what you get, but there is a significant turn around time (a couple months in some cases), there's no warranty, the geo is up to you.... meaning there's no prototype, no testing other than the one you shell out $ for and ride.

i've come to realize that my choices are either go full custom and have a frame built to my specs.... or build one myself. i've built bike and motorcycle frames, have done aerospace tig for quite a while, and can fabricate... but what i can't do is come up with enough extra free time. older, have kids, mortgage, career, etc... i'd be happy if there was a frame i could just go buy. really, really happy.

i'd suspect that there are a lot of dudes in my shoes... mid to late 30s, refuse to grow up (whatever the hell that means), have enough disposable income and can finally afford the things they wanted when they were a broke ass teenager.
i rode tons of BMX in the 80s... had a few cool bikes, but man did i ever want a [insert whatever here] but couldn't afford it... now i'm older, and can afford stuff, but the stuff i want isn't available.
I have to agree 150% with this. Every word. I searched for a while for the perfect 26" frame that met my needs. Going from 20" to cruiser BMX racing in the 80's to full on XC racing and DH riding I just can't ride a 20" any longer. I eventually landed on the Mob.

I am interested in finding a 24" park bike that feels similar to the Mob as far as confidence. I specifically would like something designed around a rigid fork. This could be a fun winter project. I will stay tuned to this..

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
that sledgehammer must be geared really high. considering i have a 16t in back, which is std freewheel size, but only 33 in front. that looks like a good ol' 44t sprocket, yikes.

sprintrjm

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
i now have a 33t / 16t

it was 40t / 18t, when i took the pic.

It looks and rides better now.

I wish it was a little lighter, but other than that its been great.

Now i just need to lose some weight and get ridin.

I got lucky and got this on craigslist 2 weeks ago.

sprintrjm

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
I cant see why any one would be offended by that.

I think its my age group and a little younger thats helping out this trend. When i was about 12, all i would do, day and night was ride my bmx bike. Then a year or so later, a friend ended up getting a pk ripper, then a friend got a gt dyno, then a friend got a hutch trickstar. I could have cooked up any one of those bikes bikes, put them in a blender and mainlined it, i was sooooo hoooked. All i could afford was a neon green / white kuwahara free style. And dont get me started about the redline 3piece flight cranks......

35 years old, too old and big for a 20", i bought a 24" redline this summer and it was slightly too small and slow.

I bought a 24" dirt jumper with suspension and a 9speed. Still too small. I found myself wanting to ride to the dirt jumps rather than driving my bike there. And i found the seattle colonade flow park and needed the gears.

I dont know why it took me so long to realize what i wanted, buuut i ended up buying the 26" volume sledghammer just recently. Back to the park. Now i have a 26" eastern bushhog on order, $849.00, suspension, 8sp, 26" great geo / tiny rear triangle. I'm hoping this is the one.

Now im contemplating selling the sledgehammer. I got it for such a good price, i might just keep it. hmmmm

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
the Sundays look great, though the BB does look freakishly high for a 24 wheel. I wonder how it will ride at the DJs.

The bars seem a little big... it seems like a 5-5.75" cruiser bar would get a better vertical cockpit size (BB to grips). Then again, finding my preferred 27" width x 4deg upsweep cruiser bar might be impossible.

EDIT: i just realized (duh) that the tall Sunday bars go with the high BB... a 5" bar would be better suited to the lower BB heights we've been discussing here.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Just saw the most recent specs on the S&M 38 Special:
CS:14.75-15.5"
BB: 12"
TT: 21.5"
HA: 73
weight: 4lb, 5oz

I wish it didn't have a Euro BB though.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Those Sunday's look pretty interesting. I agree the 13.75" BB height is a little tall but props for them to do something totally different. I think there will be some tweaking of geometry for these types of cruiser for a bit and someone will find the "magic" numbers (hopefully Cru!) like 20" BMX frames.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
The bb does seem CRAZY high. I'd like to ride it, though. The wheel size could make up for it being so high and keep it fairly stable. Maybe I'm being fooled by how it looks in BikeCAD, but to me, it seems like our design looks more aggressive, more like a trail slaying machine. I just hope they keep their geo similar to what they're talking about now so that there is enough of a distinguishable difference. It'd be cool to have that option for forks and bars, though.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the comments about the model c have been going crazy. good info and everyone is acting helpful for once for internet comments haha.

http://www.sundaybikes.com/2008/10/sunday-model-c.html

keep checking, jim wrote a nice response. he's getting what people are into. don't think he'll budge on bb height...

Ok, this is all really interesting. I'm going to post a few more photos of the bikes and maybe some riding shots.

There's way too much to answer, but here goes. X-ups are tough because your foot hits when you are going a topside X-up, but downside no problem. The funny thing is barspins work totally fine. Your foot must be in a different position. Turndowns are funny too because the wheel hits your shin when you go past 200 degrees or so.

I've noticed from the responses that you guys are sort of all over the place in your interests. some want to ride trails, some skatepark and a few street. And the sizes are generally in a range, but I'm totally unsure of the market yet. I'm definitely thinking of making a bigger size in addition to the one I ride. The 21 works completely fine for me. Not really into doing X-ups unless its into a grind and that is the other direction for me. And it nose wheelies and hang 5s like no problem. The bb height probably won't change because that is what makes it lots of fun and responsive. Keep asking questions and throwing me your thoughts. I'll try and keep up.
thanks,
jim

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
yeah, get posting people!
I personally think it needs a longer tt or 3 sizes (21.25", 21.75" & 22.75") and also shorter chainstays to make it as agile & aggro as possible and to really seperate it from the current racy cruisers.
If enough us post our opinions up there with good arguements to back them up we may actually have a say in getting a legit freestyle 24
I really hope people get behind the longer tt cos unless it's 22 it won't be of any interest to little old 6'6" me!
what's the point of a 24 wheeled bike with a short tt - surley the whole reason you'd want a 24 is cos a 20 feels too small, theres soooo many bmx frames with 21, 21.25 & quite a few with 21.5 & 22, ergo cruiser sizes should be proportionally bigger like the rest of the geo.
thats without even going into the whole foot/tyre issue...
i implore u to tell jim what want, and make this new genre a reality!

dhallilama

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
I personally think it needs a longer tt or 3 sizes (21.25", 21.75" & 22.75") and also shorter chainstays to make it as agile & aggro as possible and to really seperate it from the current racy cruisers.
If enough us post our opinions up there with good arguements to back them up we may actually have a say in getting a legit freestyle 24
I really hope people get behind the longer tt cos unless it's 22 it won't be of any interest to little old 6'6" me!
what's the point of a 24 wheeled bike with a short tt - surley the whole reason you'd want a 24 is cos a 20 feels too small, theres soooo many bmx frames with 21, 21.25 & quite a few with 21.5 & 22, ergo cruiser sizes should be proportionally bigger like the rest of the geo.
thats without even going into the whole foot/tyre issue...
i implore u to tell jim what want, and make this new genre a reality!

at 5'11", the 21" top tube doesn't sound unreasonably short to me because there's a lot more to the overall feel of a bike than one number.
while i generally like "kinda long" top tubes, "kinda short" chainstays and "kinda high" bottom brackets... all of that means nothing individually.

i really, really want to ride the model-c to see how it feels... but i'd be glad to put my $ where my mouth is and buy one right now if it were available. i was super excited to hear the dimensions/geo on the bike, as it's very very close to what i've been thinking about having built... since nobody else seems to be building anything other than old geo cruisers or 24" MTBMX.

jim seems pretty committed to the model-c, which is awesome. it's also awesome that he/sunday communicate well with their (potential and current) customers. surprised me when i got a lengthy email back from him after asking about a few details.
waiting till spring is gonna be rough...

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It is nice to see a company working this way. Props to Jim and Sunday for doing something different.

I love this photo:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Noooooo... save it for here! Haha.

So, I thought you guys may be interested in seeing the prototype drawing. I have actually changed a few specs for the protos since receiving this drawing, but you'll get the idea. We're going to have two protos made with slightly different specs:

Proto 1:
TT: 22.3
BB: 12.7
HA: 74

Proto 2:
TT: 21.9
BB: 12.5
HA: 73.5

Same on both:
CS: 14.25
SA: 71.5
ST: 9.1 center to center (taller than shown on this drawing)

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
nice numbers Cru! Glad there is one longer than 22". I bet 74 is the right number for HA.

--------

I must admit, I'd like to try that Sunday's high BB to see what it's all about.